I have a problem with firesteels.......

Moosez45

Custom Antlers, Factory Knives...
I can't place an order for anything without putting a firesteel on there. I have a Goingear Moose model :D, wolverine, badger, and a box of the squirrel models.

3 LMF Army models, 2 Scout models.

And I just order a Coghlan's. Some have been used, most have not.

Anyone else have this problem, or is it just me?

Moose

I cant seem to find a firesteel that I like. Everyone that I have is small cheap and flimsy.

I have a Light My Fire, it is neither small, cheap, nor flimsy. I like it, but I do not share your problem Moosez as it is my only fire steel.

I have a few, but they are all used and in kits somewhere in the house. I always want to add them, but I never do because I know I don't need them.

I have a Light My Fire, it is neither small, cheap, nor flimsy. I like it, but I do not share your problem Moosez as it is my only fire steel.

You know what they say ... two is one, one is none.

Always need a back-up :D

I had a similar problem, I fixed it by buying blank rods and making my own handles :)

I was able to restrain myself from adding firesteels to my last order, but it was a bit of a struggle.

I have 4 or 5 laying around , an original strike force type in my grab ang go stuff. Mag block from harbor freght, smallest light my fire minus handle in my altoids box pocket kit . I have a round tin with the rod from a mag block magnafying lens char cloth jute string and a pencil sharpener and a coulghans ranger banded to the sheath of my condor rodan. When you consider the size price and the fact I can buy the coulghans locally they are hard to beat
Roy

I'd say you got no problem there Moose. Can't have enough of those. Adding knives to a fire steel order, now that may be a problem.

I can't place an order for anything without putting a firesteel on there. I have a Goingear Moose model :D, wolverine, badger, and a box of the squirrel models.

3 LMF Army models, 2 Scout models.

And I just order a Coghlan's. Some have been used, most have not.

Anyone else have this problem, or is it just me?

Moose

Jeez, I have a firesteel in probably every knife sheath that I own by now. I have an extra that hangs by neck and an extra on my key chain, let alone the mag bars. I likely can't go anywhere without a firesteel or folding knife.

Have quite a few scattered around. 1/8"-3/8" mostly just blanks at least 2" long or more.

They are certainly not all equal and the LMF's are my favorites.

Bill

Just a little OCD eh?:D at least you are not hanging in the bar all the time:thumbup:

Last edited:
Hmm, and here I thought the fire steel was the backup. I usually have a Bic on me, less now that I switched to an electronic cig, but they are still all over the house. When I go out in the woods I usually take 2 Bics and have the steel as a backup. Maybe I need to buy another fire steel though, just in case. :D

You know what they say ... two is one, one is none.

Always need a back-up :D

I use mine at most any opportunity. I do also carry bics in my kits but as someone once told me "If you want to get good at shooting at 600 yards, practice at 800..."

I still hate flint and steel though. Need more practice.

Bill

I had the same issue with wanting more of them. One in every place I went and I wanted my friends to have them to. I cured it by buying the cheap Coglan knocks offs online at Harbor Freight. I bought 30 of them delivered to the house for $40.00 and started handing them out like candy. The need is fixed for a few months as I have a dozen or so remaining.

Back