I have a problem...

Got somewhat of an itch this week and can't shake it, no matter HOW many projects I do.......

Double thick belt so my holster doesn't distort it from weight...

Got two cow hide strips from Tandy. The rest of the supplies I had:

Fiebings Dark brown Oil Dye - 3 oz used
1/8" gun metal colored, open back Chicago screws x 2
Celtic Shield Knot stamp
Tarred Bank line as thread
waterproofing agent - My beeswax+Boiled Linseed Oil+turpentine recipe.

...over 10 hours work, 3 band-aids, 2 pots coffee, 1/2 pack of smokes, 3 lippers of Skoal long cut mint and one wife whining about the dye smell....

I think it turned out well

Looks great. The stamp work is a nice little touch to give it some character. Is that the first time doing a belt with the two layers like that?

Looks great. The stamp work is a nice little touch to give it some character. Is that the first time doing a belt with the two layers like that?

Thanks. Yes, that's the first time making a belt at all. I've made quite a few sheaths, axe masks and a couple of holsters but never a belt until now.

Fingers are still sore from the flippin needles LOL

That is a lot of stitches to do by hand.

Makes my fingers throb to think of it.

Fingers are still sore from the flippin needles LOL

I started doing my hand stitching while wearing a pair of latex coated work gloves(couple bucks a pair at HF). The rubberized grip helps pull the needle through and then also doubles as a cushion for my fingers when I pull the stitch tight.

Chris

That is a lot of stitches to do by hand.

Makes my fingers throb to think of it.

yeah it is...lol. If I had the time I might actually get a stitch count............but there are just so many...........LOL

I started doing my hand stitching while wearing a pair of latex coated work gloves(couple bucks a pair at HF). The rubberized grip helps pull the needle through and then also doubles as a cushion for my fingers when I pull the stitch tight.

Chris

That's an awesome idea! Thanks!

Chris

cool, i second that this is quite a good idea...

as for the belt, awesome job!

yeah it is...lol. If I had the time I might actually get a stitch count............but there are just so many...........LOL

Standard size is a 38", which would usually be around a 45.5" strap with 3.5" on the chape (fold over). at 7 stitches per inch, times two, your looking at roughly 600 stitches....and to think I get frustrated at how 'slow' my machine is some days :cool:

I like your belt. One thing you may consider is waiting to punch the holes until your finished. Sizing the belt is always the very last thing I do on a totally assembled belt. Lot of room for variation when you pre-punch the holes and especially on personal gear you can put it on to punch that 'perfect' custom fit. Everyone handles this differently just a thought.

cool, i second that this is quite a good idea...

as for the belt, awesome job!

Thirds on that idea, I might cut the back out for ventilation...

Thanks for sharing, I always enjoy progress threads. Nice work!
Got a belt (double stack) in queue for a friend. He wants it for concealed carry to be able to fit his holster clip between the two layers... second week of fall semester and I'm still playing catch up so who knows when I'll be able to get to it :confused:

T

Standard size is a 38", which would usually be around a 45.5" strap with 3.5" on the chape (fold over). at 7 stitches per inch, times two, your looking at roughly 600 stitches....and to think I get frustrated at how 'slow' my machine is some days :cool:

I like your belt. One thing you may consider is waiting to punch the holes until your finished. Sizing the belt is always the very last thing I do on a totally assembled belt. Lot of room for variation when you pre-punch the holes and especially on personal gear you can put it on to punch that 'perfect' custom fit. Everyone handles this differently just a thought.

Yeah....however many stitches it was....took 6 hrs by hand. LOL.

On the holes punched...I used the belt I'm currently wearing...which is about 15 years old and perfectly fit. I marked the existing holes because the fit was so good but I appreciate the thoughts.

Back