qjH0DKd.jpg

From the top:
PAL for the M1 Garand, uncut
PAL for the M1 Garand, cut from 16" by AFH
Camillus Mark 2
PAL for the M1 Carbine
PAL RH-36
PAL RH-35

None of the above are in mint unissued condition, but I prefer them that way. The one that feels best in hand is the second from the bottom -- a PAL RH-36.

The 3 now missing from my accumulation are the relatively expensive PALs: 16 inch bayonet for the M1 Garand, M3 trench knife and the RH-37.

Started 2020 with one WW2 knife, a Camillus Mark 2
My dad was born, raised and spent WW2 in Holyoke, MA
Found out PAL made knives in Holyoke for the war effort

Ended 2020 with 1 Camillus and 5 PALs

qjH0DKd.jpg

From the top:
PAL for the M1 Garand, uncut
PAL for the M1 Garand, cut from 16" by AFH
Camillus Mark 2
PAL for the M1 Carbine
PAL RH-36
PAL RH-35

None of the above are in mint unissued condition, but I prefer them that way. The one that feels best in hand is the second from the bottom -- a PAL RH-36.

The 3 now missing from my accumulation are the relatively expensive PALs: 16 inch bayonet for the M1 Garand, M3 trench knife and the RH-37.
All nice examples. I have an RH-37 Navy Mk2 and USMC version 2xRH36’s and an RH35 Mk1. I like them all.

I hadn't heard of PAL before, I think I'll have to get one. I grew up in southern Vermont and the closest mall was in Holyoke, I have a lot of memories of family trips down to the mall when we were kids. A few times we stopped at the Soldier's Home in Holyoke, I always enjoyed sitting and listening to the Veterans talk about their experiences.

I hadn't heard of PAL before, I think I'll have to get one. I grew up in southern Vermont and the closest mall was in Holyoke, I have a lot of memories of family trips down to the mall when we were kids. A few times we stopped at the Soldier's Home in Holyoke, I always enjoyed sitting and listening to the Veterans talk about their experiences.

The RH 35 and RH 36 are relatively affordable -- good examples sell on eBay for about $100. Dull aluminum pommel indicates later WW2 era when other metals were in scarce supply. PAL bought this knife line from Remington. RH stands for Remington Hunter and I believe 5 and 6 stands for inches of blade. The RH 36 was a very popular knife originally made for the civilian market that many soldiers bought for themselves.

Important: Holyoke is never ever pronounced "holy oak." The correct pronunciation is "whole yoke." Please keep this in mind when looking for PAL knives.

Last edited:
The RH 35 and RH 36 are relatively affordable -- good examples sell on eBay for about $100. Dull aluminum pommel indicates later WW2 era when other metals were in scarce supply. PAL bought this knife line from Remington. RH stands for Remington Hunter and I believe 5 and 6 stands for inches of blade. The RH 36 was a very popular knife originally made for the civilian market that many soldiers bought for themselves.

Important: Holyoke is never ever pronounced "holy oak." The correct pronunciation is "whole yoke." Please keep this in mind when looking for PAL knives.

That is some great information, Thanks!

I think I will start watching the RH-36s and get one eventually.

This thread is full of awesome!

Got some more stuff to look for in my various travels, I see.

I don’t know who made it but, the M1 Carbine had another version of the M4 Bayonet. It had a hard rubber handle instead of leather.
The leather was rotting out in the tropics.

If PAL made those it would be a nice addition to your collection.

Nice find. :thumbsup: I prefer them used, rather than pristine with no possible history other than it’s age.

Very nice collection!

The “dull aluminum” pommels are not aluminum. AFAIK they are zinc.

Aluminum was needed elsewhere for the war effort. Mostly airplanes.

Last edited:
Nice collection! If you really want to go nuts try collecting the PAL folders.

Found an RH 37 to almost complete my set of WW2 PALS
h6Jplaw.jpg

u87iwYv.jpg

It's a bit shabby (but so am I)
What's left to search out is an M3 and possibly an uncut 16" bayonet for the M1
An M3 Trench Knife? That should not be to hard to find. I see them at almost every gun or knife show.

Back