I have discovered the perfect diet

After three days of testing, I have decided to try out a new diet plan.
I call it "the ghandi diet."

I have a cup of coffee for breakfast. Water and vitamins for lunch, and piece of lettuce for dinner.

I have lost three or four pounds in three days.
I feel fine, so Im gonna keep going.

I highly recommend it.

It is amazing how little we actually need to survive.

There is a lesson in this, I think. Something more than just food.

I'm not a nutritionist but I did spend the night at a Holiday Inn. :) You may want to add some more water to that mix. There's going to be all sorts of nasty things entering your blood stream as your fat reserves are depleted; better to send them on their way as quickly as possible.

I eat once per day, only at night. I drink some tea or coffee in the morning and drink water through the day. I have done very well on this diet for the past 6 - 8 months. For more, see the book The Warrior Diet by Ori Hofmekler.

It does take some time to adjust to this type of eating but I think it is (contrary to popular belief) very healthy.

Danny, it's fasting- skip the coffee & lettuce- that's a garnish on true hunger- tell people you're on a "hunger strike" while waiting for your YCS.

Fellow crumb,

AA

P.S. keep the vitamins- buy expensive ones. I do.

Right now you are in ketosis, with your body burning fat. As soon as it switches to burning protein, you are in trouble and actually starving. Your body will begin to lose muscle mass, including muscle from the heart. You're probably gonna want to eat something if you've been fasting for three days.

When protein supplements were developed, some people tried to live on 'em. They died of heart failure...

whereas obesity will never hurt me and phentermine will never hurt me.
Been there, tried to do that.
I feel fine and Im eating about 10% of what I normally did...

DannyinJapan said:
whereas obesity will never hurt me and phentermine will never hurt me.
Been there, tried to do that.
I feel fine and Im eating about 10% of what I normally did...

You used to eat ten lettuce leaves a day? (10 x 0 = ?)

I've found a good diet!! (I call it the student diet.) Coffee in the morning, w/ sugar, vitamins, and tums for calcium. Lunch is gatorade and a pack of purple skittles (wild berry?), because I normally work out in morning. Huge dinner, along with snacks in between. I dunno. Fits my schedule and I am addicted to the skittles!

I have decided to get serious about my health, lose some weight, and get in shape. To celebrate my commitment I ate a Large Veggie Thick Crust from Roundtable, washed it down with a half gallon of Pepsi, then went across the street to Arby's and got a large Jamocha Shake.

In the words of the immortal James Brown. "I FEEL GOOD!"

I will re-commit tomorrow with a three scoop cone from Baskin-Robbins.

DannyinJapan said:
I have a cup of coffee for breakfast. Water and vitamins for lunch, and piece of lettuce for dinner.

Sounds like the Karen Carpenter diet.
:barf:

Danny,

Go with what feels right. Y'know that.

Something to look into, if you want to go low caloric intake route is Stanley Burroughs book, "The Master Cleanser". It's also known as the "Lemonade Diet". It's a safe type of fasting, keeps your energy up and you shed pounds.
Also, can't remember the author but google on "caloric restriction". One of your 10th dans from the Dragon Days favors this method. It also works well with Hatsumi Sensei's suggestions.

You have to find what works for you, just like your taijutsu. I've dropped 25 lbs this year, so far, and it's been a fight all the way. There is lots of good nutrition books out there. I did the South Beach, dropped 10 lbs with that, but then started having problems w/ training. South Beach didn't seem to be geared for my needs.

I'm checking out the "Abs Diet" right now, not religously, but the author is the Chief Editor for Mens Health magazine, and has some decent ideas.
I lost 4 lbs with that and was able to think coherently and train.

It's tough, but we are warriors and we choose different lifestyles. If only to protect our health so that we can be there for our loved ones as we and they get older.

I had a regular lunch today, but I honest to god dont think I actually need any more food than that.
Soke's diet of brown rice and fruit left me insanely hungry. We have very different bodies.

I am not really starving, but I am eating about 15% of my regular amounts and , despite a little grogginess today, I feel fine.

what is the abs diet about?

The "Abs Diet" and I'm sure there are others with the same ideas is basically about eating small meals throughout the day, about every 3 hours. You eat 5-6 times per day. Try to watch your dry carb intake during the day, like rice, but don't completely cut them out. I modified it to have no dry carbs after around 4pm or so and have had good results with it.

All meals should contain carbs, fats and proteins. I've found that the protein helps to curve hunger pretty good. Like and apple w/ peanut butter or a protein shake. I got up this morning and had two eggo waffles, w/ peanut butter and 1/2 a bannana on each one.

The idea is that you have to feed yourself in a balanced way to loose weight in a healthy way.

My vice is that I LOVE caffiene, be it coffee, or green tea, which stimulates your appetite if not in a moderate amount. I'm trying de-caf tea.

My father died at 55 and my grandfather died at 56, my other grandfather died around 60. I really want to be there for my kids and wife, if fate allows me the option. I'm doing what I can for my health now.

I don't think alot of this new diet stuff is always new. My mother is Cherokee, and the way she fed me growing up is similar to a lot of what I read now. Fresh fruit, veggies and quality food, no sugar.

Lion's Roar said:
The "Abs Diet" and I'm sure there are others with the same ideas is basically about eating small meals throughout the day, about every 3 hours. You eat 5-6 times per day.

The eat-once-per-day diet is extremely interesting. It is the opposite of the eat-lots-of-meals. I have found it to work very well in terms of health and weight control. I am a big believer that controlling insulin is critical to health.

With eating all the time, you are maintaining higher insulin levels constantly. I don't think this is a good idea. Remember even protein raises insulin levels, not just carbs.

When you are eating once per day, your insulin is low most of the time. You eat at night and you eat *a lot*. Eat early in the evening so you don't go to bed with a full stomach. You are sleepy.

The next day your energy levels are very high throughout the day. Mental clarity is amazing. There just is nothing like this. After awhile, the hunger doesn't bother you much either.

Some people do this diet while juicing veggies or having a bit of fruit or a few nuts here and there during the day. I do it without this, just tea, coffee and water throughout the day.

I'm skeptic about eating once a day as a lifestyle, but hey, if it works for you, I'm happy too.

I think it's about finding something that works for you as an individual.

The eating small meals of quality stuff that I've been doing lowered my cholestoral and triglycerides from 500+ to normal. I can do heavy analytical work during the day without burning out and manage to train about 1 1/2 to 2 hours per day. I don't think I could do that eating once per day, but maybe I'm wrong.

I guess the other thing is that I've been in situations in my life where I ate once per day- not because I wanted to. I wouldn't eat like that again, because I don't want to remind myself of it.

A balanced diet is best. I have been eating about 1500 calories each day, and lost about 20 lbs. in the past few months.

If you eat < 1200 calories per day, you will lose weight fast, depending upon your current weight. Figure about 4000 colories per lb. you need to lose. If you diet and exercise - you should need about 15 calories per pound of body weight. If you weigh 200 lbs., YOU NEED 3000 calories per day just to maintain your weight. If you eat 1000 calories, you should lose about 1 lb in 2 days, or about 15 lbs. per month.

Do the math, calorie diets always work.

It is a good idea to exercise, eat lots of fruit, veggies, and carbs and protein.
I happen to like my carbs and protein.

People die on starvation diets. ... If they continue on them for too long a time.

Back