I haven't quit

Do to circumstances that are out of my control I haven't been on the computer much. I still have been making many knives. I have moved from 01 to ATS-34 for the most part. I also have been trying to do some convex grinds. Any advise with this would be great. especially how to position my work rest on the contact wheel. I will be around a computer for the holidays so I would love to hear from anyone who has a spare minute.
thanks, Matt deClercq

You don't use the contact wheel for convex, you use a slack portion of the belt. You *could* do it on the wheel, but not with a rest, you'd have to do it freehand with alot of rocking motion. The slack belt works much better in my opinion.

Hi Matt,

Good to see you back online! For a convex grind, the Rotary Platen that Rob Frink produces is the cats meow...a must have imho.

:)

-Darren

Sorry,
hollow grind. Brain fart. I'm looking for an instruction video that focusses on the hollow grind. I've seen some in the catalogs but hesitate to spend the money on something that I have not heard anything about. Any suggestions?

I've done a few hollow grinds and while they can look dramatic, I don't much care for there cutting ability. I much perfere a flat or convex grind. My test were done on small knives with an 8" wheel so a 14" or so would produce differant results.

That said there not that hard once you do a few of them. Once you grind a lead in bevel, kind of like sharpening the blank, the wheel will almost automaticly track. The only ones I've done were free hand, and I think that's the best way, for me.

Try grinding wood painter's sticks or other similar wood to get the motion and feel down, it'll make your pile of scrap a little smaller in the end.

Good luck,

Thanks for that information Will.

To tell you the truth, I thought I would do some hollow grinds because I like the way they look. I never even consitered the positives and negatives.

I have been doing them w/o a lead bevel, I'll try it. Makes sense.

Merry Christmas

Back