I join the club of those that have experienced an omega spring fail

Hey All,

My trusty mini adamas which is not quite one year old has had one of the springs fail... I've read a few times in the forum that this can happen, have to trek out to my dealer now to send it in, my cheap torx set got stripped when I tried to take the scale off.

What is worrying is that this wasn't my most used knife nor my most fidgeted... real downer actually for a brand that's supposed to be premium... I really liked the axis lock because my fingers are out of the way of the blade when closing but not sure I'm going benchmade ever again after this... it would be super annoying if this happened on a hike. I might stick to less fancy locks going forward. Sure they'll fix it under warranty but it's a pain I don't need to deal with.

Anyway I live in Australia, lets see how long it takes to get it fixed...

Hey All,

My trusty mini adamas which is not quite one year old has had one of the springs fail... I've read a few times in the forum that this can happen, have to trek out to my dealer now to send it in, my cheap torx set got stripped when I tried to take the scale off.

What is worrying is that this wasn't my most used knife nor my most fidgeted... real downer actually for a brand that's supposed to be premium... I really liked the axis lock because my fingers are out of the way of the blade when closing but not sure I'm going benchmade ever again after this... it would be super annoying if this happened on a hike. I might stick to less fancy locks going forward. Sure they'll fix it under warranty but it's a pain I don't need to deal with.

Anyway I live in Australia, lets see how long it takes to get it fixed...
In case your dealer can't help you out, I am pretty certain that Benchmade would send you the Omega Springs because you are outside the U.S.
Within the States they force you to send in the whole knife.

I have 5 Benchmades and none of them have ever broken a spring. But just in case I keep spares in the two sizes I need.
It happens, but not all the time.

In case your dealer can't help you out, I am pretty certain that Benchmade would send you the Omega Springs because you are outside the U.S.
Within the States they force you to send in the whole knife.

I have 5 Benchmades and none of them have ever broken a spring. But just in case I keep spares in the two sizes I need.
It happens, but not all the time.
Thanks for that, i might drop them an email

You can find omega springs on Amazon and other similar commerce sites. Might be worth going that route since you're in Australia. Also grab a set of Wiha torx wrenches while you're at it.

You can find omega springs on Amazon and other similar commerce sites. Might be worth going that route since you're in Australia. Also grab a set of Wiha torx wrenches while you're at it.
yeah lets see how the australian distributer deals with it, otherwise yeah it seems like there are a few after market options... just really irritating though, this might stop me from anymore benchmades. To be honest 5 is a enough.

Was going to post exactly this, 100%. About the springs and the bits.

1691620265541.jpeg

yeah lets see how the australian distributer deals with it, otherwise yeah it seems like there are a few after market options... just really irritating though, this might stop me from anymore benchmades. To be honest 5 is a enough.
For whatever it's worth to you I've owned dozens of Benchmades and haven't had a spring fail

Had a spring break in my trusty CF/20CV Bugout after 1 year of use, It was pretty much my daily carry for the year, didn't bother with Benchmade just ordered stronger Omega's from Etsy along with backups and since I hade to take the knife apart went ahead and swapped out the stock washer for oversized washers.

I own quite a few benchmades and haven't had a spring fail yet. That being said, they are springs and made by people so those things are going to fail at some point.

I had one spring fail on one of my several BM axis locks but didn't notice until I took it apart. Replaced both with aftermarket for cheap.

I've never had one break but I count that risk as the only real downside of an otherwise fantastic lock. I've got compression locks, frame locks, liner locks, and back locks and they all have downsides. I do wish Benchmade would provide or sell extra springs though.

Ive had axis locks since 1998 when the 710 came out; ive never had one break......

got the knife back finally, took awhile as there was a knife show here in Aus 2 weeks ago. Hope it lasts this time.

Had a spring break in my trusty CF/20CV Bugout after 1 year of use, It was pretty much my daily carry for the year, didn't bother with Benchmade just ordered stronger Omega's from Etsy along with backups and since I hade to take the knife apart went ahead and swapped out the stock washer for oversized washers.
How do you tell when ordering that they’re stronger? I couldn’t find any advertised as such and have read a lot of reports of the aftermarket ones being WEAKER.

I’ve had a decent amount of benchmades and never had any omega spring issue until the bugout. One of the springs broke on this one at least a year ago and I shelved it and never ended up sending it back to benchmade.

I bought some aftermarket springs for a few bucks and popped them in last night, good to go now but we’ll see how they last. The old ones were a little corroded, not surprising as I have carried this knife many times during the summer while being drenched in sweat.

IMG_8497.jpeg

How do you tell when ordering that they’re stronger? I couldn’t find any advertised as such and have read a lot of reports of the aftermarket ones being WEAKER.
The replacements I ordered were made with 304 stainless steel.

Back