I just bought a cheap push knife

I predict you'll tire of carrying it. Not knocking it, just my unfounded prediction. It's a tough tool, though. I used to have one.

Zieg
Actually I'm tired of it already and I haven't even gotten it. I'm not sure if it's illegal that's my problem. But what the hey right.

I think the design has some serious limitations. But as usual, I'm spit balling while reclined in my armchair. :D But there is a reason why "t" handled tools aren't the norm.
I'm doing about the same thing mr. Paul. Thanks for telling me about that T handle deal. I'm digging through the law and I can't find anything about it. It just says if you use against another person without Justified motivation you would be guilty of a serious felony. (DUH) And you would not be eligible for gain time or early release The funny thing is I can carry my large Espada with no problem. Laws are very confusing

I occasionally carry the baby brother Best Pal near belt buckle facing left hand

The only real issue with push knives is the laws in a jurisdiction the owner lives in, if there are laws.

While not useful for whittling they can be used for most typical daily tasks for a typical urban or suburban person.

Some models are useful for skinning. There is a company that makes one with a guthook, which I posted a link to once on a thread where someone said they are only useful as weapons. Years ago I was showing some of my knives to a friend of mine who was a hunter and he picked up my Urban Skinner (later Safekeeper 3) and commented that it would be a good skinning knife, and that was without me mentioning its name.

The smaller CS push knives should be good for typical tasks, but like I said in another thread the Mini Pal is a bit to small for a knife with that type of handle.

They'd be good for self-defense for most people, especially those with unarmed martial arts training.

I personally find conventional knives more useful for defense but I've also had training in Filipino Martial Arts, something most people haven't done.

A push knife should also be faster to deploy and more difficult to disarm than most knives. When I was 12 I could deploy my Wallet Knife as fast as I could deploy my Emerson CQC-7BW using the Wave many years later. This had the wallet-type sheath some early Urban Pals came with, which is probably were the company got the idea from.

Shortly after I bought my Wallet Knife, a knife dealer I showed it to told me he sold many of them to cops. He said they carried them in their front shirt pocket behind their badge. At the time I thought that was a strange place to carry a knife, but looking back it could be useful in some contexts.

I'm doing about the same thing mr. Paul. Thanks for telling me about that T handle deal. I'm digging through the law and I can't find anything about it. It just says if you use against another person without Justified motivation you would be guilty of a serious felony. (DUH) And you would not be eligible for gain time or early release The funny thing is I can carry my large Espada with no problem. Laws are very confusing
I suspect those of us who carry knives for self defense are pushing against the limits of the law and of societal acceptance when our knives are specifically designed for fighting and causing mortal wounds. I take no position on this issue. This is a deep rabbit hole that has led to many harsh words and many banned accounts on BF, so I will not enter it now. If you're reading this you get the idea. Take due notice thereof and govern yourselves accordingly. 🙂

Zieg

I suspect those of us who carry knives for self defense are pushing against the limits of the law and of societal acceptance when our knives are specifically designed for fighting and causing mortal wounds. I take no position on this issue. This is a deep rabbit hole that has led to many harsh words and many banned accounts on BF, so I will not enter it now. If you're reading this you get the idea. Take due notice thereof and govern yourselves accordingly. 🙂

Zieg
Okay thank you

Okay thank you
Having said all that, what I like about this iteration of the push knife is its shallow triangular profile. It reminds me of some wider smallswords of the early 18th century. It'll cut but it really shines as a piercer (hey, they should call it a push dagger!!).

Hmm, am I talking myself into getting one?

Zieg

Maybe I'll content myself with the FGX version and hang some keys on it.

Zieg

I keep one in the shower next to the shampoo.
Large, zoomable image of Cold Steel Fgx Push Blde I 6 1/4in Ova Blde. 1 of 1

Well I'm curious, so I'll ask- Where do you live Vlade? I don't mean your home address, I'm talking country/state.

Of course you don't have to say, and it won't offend me if you don't.

I'm in California, USA. (I never ask a question that I'm not willing to answer myself) :) .

Well I'm curious, so I'll ask- Where do you live Vlade? I don't mean your home address, I'm talking country/state.

Of course you don't have to say, and it won't offend me if you don't.

I'm in California, USA. (I never ask a question that I'm not willing to answer myself) :) .
That's a tough question I have three homes. I have one in Florida one in Puerto Rico and one in Buncombe County Asheville area North Carolina. It's real name is Marshall North Carolina. I get around pretty much and I have to follow the law in each state that I'm currently in. So I got to know three state laws. I don't know much about California but I heard it well not good there. Right now I'm in the tropical Paradise. But I'm getting ready to make my move back to Carolina. My kids live in North Carolina.. North Carolina has some very strict knife laws. It says ordinary pocket knife so I carry a small folding knife in North Carolina my Kershaw leeks and a blur or two. Florida is a little more liberal it gives you a 4-inch blade limit.

Last edited:
I heard in Fl. you can get a concealed permit and carry any knife is that true? The only thing that gets me in Ca. is folders have to be concealed yet fixed have to be openly carried. Can anyone make sense of that for me?

The only thing that gets me in Ca. is folders have to be concealed yet fixed have to be openly carried. Can anyone make sense of that for me?

Such laws are made by corrupt politicians who want to appeal to what they think their voters (or donors) want them to do to appear to be "doing something" about crime.

Since these laws might be made by different politicians during different years or decades and appeal to what they see as their current scare, they often don't make sense, especially when comparing two laws.

Many of these types copy other states' or cities' laws word for word, which is also how weird things get into these laws such as using slang terms for weapons as well as using weapons that effectively didn't exist during the times the laws were made.

Some jurisdictions ban obscure martial arts weapons police in their jurisdictions certainly did not encounter since they'd all be antiques or custom-made as they were not mass-produced at the time (usually 1980s for MA weapons.)

Several laws ban but do not define "trefoils" which people interpret to refer to shuriken but I've read nearly every English language source relating to shuriken that would have existed at the time and found no mention of that as a synonym for shuriken and the only sources that claim that "trefoils" are shuriken are sources citing such laws, which is circular reasoning.

I'm not a huge fan in general, but that didn't stop me from picking up one of the Cold Steel 52100 Drop Forged pushers when I saw one for less than $40... good to attach to something like a chest rig or plate carrier... but so are great lighter knives like a Spyderco Street Bowie or similar.

IIRC... I ended up using Molle Lock clips on a Street Bowie sheath... couldn't make the Cold Steel clip work well enough for my tastes and that's a chunk of a pusher... I bet the lighter ones are pretty useful though. The Drop Forged one is a tank and a half.. which is not bad, but didn't work for me.

Last edited:
I heard in Fl. you can get a concealed permit and carry any knife is that true? The only thing that gets me in Ca. is folders have to be concealed yet fixed have to be openly carried. Can anyone make sense of that for me?
The law says four inches so that's what I carry in Florida but you also got a pistol on you so what do you need. You could also carry any knife as long as it's open carried

Under California state law, any size folding knife can be carried openly or concealed, as long as it isn't a switchblade/butterfly/gravity knife, and as long as you don't carry a folder concealed with the blade in the open and locked position. A few cities/counties have blade length limits on openly carried knives, for example- in Los Angeles openly carried knives must have blades under 3". However there are exceptions to those LA limits that allow for the open-carry of any size knife, folder or fixed-blade.

Under California state law, any size folding knife can be carried openly or concealed, as long as it isn't a switchblade/butterfly/gravity knife, and as long as you don't carry a folder concealed with the blade in the open and locked position. A few cities/counties have blade length limits on openly carried knives, for example- in Los Angeles openly carried knives must have blades under 3". However there are exceptions to those LA limits that allow for the open-carry of any size knife, folder or fixed-blade.
It's close to Florida as far as open carry concealed carry is another story. Florida is one of them places you got to really watch your butt. The law is very vague but it clearly says 4 inches so that's what I do. Now I could open carry a push knife clip to my belt but visible. But I don't need the attention so I don't do that. Be very careful in Florida. The law is not in your favor in Florida. Just be careful down there

Safe maker update USPS said it will be delivered here Friday. I'm very curious as to if I'm going to like it or not. I'll check back in with you guys and let you know what shakes

Back