I just came across my Gov-Tac. Forgot I had it.

screened porch

Basic Member
Apparently it was discontinued five years ago or so,and there's nothing on the bay. I remember when they were called the Government, which probably didn't help their popularity.

I don't even know if this is a real one. I got it at a flea market in the late 1980s. Anyway, I thought I'd show it to you guys.

seyLKT9.jpg

Did that patent pending belt hanger go anywhere?

Very nice knife. But I doubt you picked up at a flea market in the late 1980s since the Gov Tac wasn't made until 2005 or so.
Even it's Seki made predecessor the Government didn't exist until 1990.

Very nice knife. But I doubt you picked up at a flea market in the late 1980s since the Gov Tac wasn't made until 2005 or so.
Even it's Seki made predecessor the Government didn't exist until 1990.

Thank you for the chronology.
My middle decades are a bit fuzzy. I first saw SOG on a flyer in a sporting goods store in Ann Arbor where I was living in the late 80's, and got this in the flea market some time later. Quite some time, I guess.

Thankz4sharing OP!
The vintage '90's seki made sog Government was suppose to have been an entry level "user" with the "grunt" in mind ;-)
Not ss fancy as the later Gov Tac
Being discontinued i suppose, has given it a place in the scheme of recently vintaged sog knife wants.
https://www.sogknives.com/media/productattachments/files/s/o/sog_2006_catalog.pdf

I figured the "Government" might have been an attempt to evoke something like the government-issued Mark II and so forth.

Thank you both for the links.

Apparently it was discontinued five years ago or so,and there's nothing on the bay. I remember when they were called the Government, which probably didn't help their popularity.

I don't even know if this is a real one. I got it at a flea market in the late 1980s. Anyway, I thought I'd show it to you guys.

seyLKT9.jpg

Did that patent pending belt hanger go anywhere?
What Ken said.

At one point I had four of these gov-tacs when I was collecting sogs. It's a good knife for the intended use. At one time they were very inexpensive on the secondary market. I'm betting that is no longer the case.

I had a nib black, nib 2005 anniversary, a used black, and nib standard model. All were bought here on the exchange. The used black version had obviously seen a ton of use, beat to hell actually. I used it quite extensively as well. It held up great and was in perfect working order. The bead blasted models need to be looked after a bit as the bead blasted AUS8 will rust (as is commen). The standard model is all I have kept.

Now, not all of the four were created equally. The grinds were all over the place. In fact, the one I kept has a much thinner tip than all the others did. I wouldn't use this one hard but I keep it as a very pokey pokey last ditch bedside friend.

As for the clip attachment. It was used extensively by sog. Recently, benchmade used it on their arvensis. They claimed an innovative attachment system but sog had been using it for at least a decade. Lastly, I don't like it. Makes the knife stick out too much, like a tek-lok but at least the tek-lok is far more robust. I mean, it is usable but far from my first choice. I prefer the esee 5/6 clip plate for larger belt knives or the spyderco g-clip for smaller iwb knives and a metal clip plate style for inverted medium size knives (esee 3/4 clip plate and modding an izula clip to fit other sheaths).

Here's a link to a thread a while back about the original government with some info on the gov-tac. Pics are always good.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/sog-government.1222796/

Nice Gov Tac, I would love to add one to my collection. It's essentially an upgraded SOG Government. I have two Governments.

Back