I just got a new Burr King grinder

I really like the grinder although I have no experience on any other make. It's very smooth and quiet, easy to change the belt geometry. The platen is very solid although I can see how they do wear out. Does anybody lube the platen and if so with what. I was wondering if a coating of wax would help. Thanks. Dave

I'm in Alberta as well - what was the total price for yours? (shipping, duty, etc.) if you don't mind me asking... Got any pics?

Don't lube the platten!!!!! Any lube you put on the platen will be transferred to the belt which will then transfer the ;ube to the drive wheel causing it to slip when you grind hard. The lube will also attract grinding dust that will stick to the platen causing more friction and wearing both your belts and platen prematurely.

Enjoy your new grinder.

You can also get a platen liner locally at any place that sells fireplace glass. Pyroceram is just fireplace glass and most glass dealers that do them have scraps they are happy to cut to size for you.

Rob!

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like it would do more harm than good. Hammerface I paid $1,350 U.S. for the 960 - 272 with 8" wheel. I also got the an attachment of platen and small wheel for $310 U.S. Price included shipping however there is another $200 Cdn. for custom broker fees. Sorry, no pics, but check Burr King web site and you can see the grinder. Thanks everybody.

I have used my Burr King for over 10 years and am on the original platen. I have surfaced it a couple times and drilled the mount so it can be adjusted accordingly. I want to make a new one from D2 sometime.

Dang Bruce I thought I was the only one in the industry still running a Burr King...mine is about 10 also...

It may not be a KMG but it goes!

D2 would make a dandy platen!

Shane

I bought a Burr King 960 Variable speed as soon as I graduated from high school, and I just turned 28 yesterday, so I guess that makes 10 years (oyyy :eek: ) lol

I have a D2 platen, and it holds up well, but I still surface grind it every now and again just to make sure it's slick and has a nice even face. I had Paul Bos heat-treat it to something like 63 or 64 Rockwell.

Happy Grinding :D

The ceramic is a great item, they are not expensive and last a long time.
Just glue them on, easy.

Been using mine since 93. Still haven't figured out what that flat platen/knifemaker attachment is :)

About all it does is run 10" contact wheels and it does it very well.

Been using one since 1991, but changed the motor to the variable speed, it still works like new; however, it is now one of a dozen others so it doesn't have to do all the grinding.

Ramsey

Back