I keep coming back to the Recruit

When it comes to SAK's, I prefer the 84mm line over the 91mm line. The one 84mm I always come back to, is the humble Recruit. What I like best about it is that it has the small pen blade and larger spear blade on a 84mm frame without backside tools. It's not that there is anything wrong with backside tools, but a smooth backside with straight springs, just give it some sort of 'traditional pocket knife vibe' if that makes any sense. I am the only one so fond of this classic in the line-up of officer's knives? I never read a whole lot about the Recruit, especially not compared to its alox brother the Cadet.

Personally, I am a big fan of the corkscrew, since it could host a mini screwdriver and it really is a life saver when you do need a corkscrew in an impromptu party setting.

But I can surely appreciate the cleanliness of the 84mm Recruit like you, I think it works quite well as a carving knife, even better than the 91mm with the phillips at the back side. And that's the beauty of Victorinox products, their products lineup is so prolific that there is always something that will fit your personal needs.

The Recruit was my first Swiss Army Knife that I bought with my own money as a kid. Back then (2010, my freshman year of high school), the roughly $5 difference in price had a lot to do with my choice of the Recruit over the Tinker. I just thought it was so cool to have a real Swiss Army Knife like MacGyver! I've switched to 91mm models for EDC, mainly because the longer handle length fits more securely in my hand. I do agree that the smooth back of the Recruit makes it better for carving; it would be nice if Victorinox made a 91mm Recruit.

One thing that I noticed, or thought I noticed, about the Recruit compared to the 84mm Tinker is that the Recruit's main blade (at least on the example I had) widens out more near the tip, making the blade look more symmetrical than that of the Tinker. I assume this is because the Tinker has a shallower blade well due to the backspring tools.

One thing that I noticed, or thought I noticed, about the Recruit compared to the 84mm Tinker is that the Recruit's main blade (at least on the example I had) widens out more near the tip, making the blade look more symmetrical than that of the Tinker. I assume this is because the Tinker has a shallower blade well due to the backspring tools.
I understand what you're saying but I believe that is just an optical illusion. The blade looks different perhaps, but what is different, and what you are actually seeing, is the same blade in a different frame. As far as I know, all 84mm and 91mm knives have the same main blade. One made for the 84mm series and one for the 91mm series. They make thousands and thousands of blades with each production run and all will fit in every model in a certain line. This automation and interchangeability is in fact why they can offer a Swiss made knife at a reasonable price.

The recruit is the SAK that is soooo much of a great everyday real world pocket knife. It has the two blades for a wife variety of cutting, both flat and Phillips head screw driving capability, the bottle and can openers, and a nice smooth backside that is a great deal more comfortable in hand. A great basic pocket knife.

I dislike backside tools, as they are not as strong as the end hinged tools. I severely damaged a tinker by using the Phillips driver to deal with a couple of badly rusted license plate screws. The aluminum liners deformed badly and it was a learning experience to not trust the back mounted Phillips driver.

The back mounted awl is not near as good as the one on the alox models like the pioneer, and the old Wenger SI or farmer. They are a much more capable boring tool for starter holes in wood or even as small cable ties by inserting and twisting and using the sharp edge to cut

I understand what you're saying but I believe that is just an optical illusion. The blade looks different perhaps, but what is different, and what you are actually seeing, is the same blade in a different frame. As far as I know, all 84mm and 91mm knives have the same main blade. One made for the 84mm series and one for the 91mm series. They make thousands and thousands of blades with each production run and all will fit in every model in a certain line. This automation and interchangeability is in fact why they can offer a Swiss made knife at a reasonable price.
You're probably right about it being an optical illusion. I've always assumed that the blade appeared wider due to some fluke in the manufacture of that particular blade. I lost that Recruit years ago, and I've never found another Recruit with the same fluke.

You're probably right about it being an optical illusion. I've always assumed that the blade appeared wider due to some fluke in the manufacture of that particular blade. I lost that Recruit years ago, and I've never found another Recruit with the same fluke.

I wonder if it was a recruit assembled just after Victorinox took over Wenger? The Wenger blades were a bit wider with more belly on the blade than the Vic's.

I wonder if it was a recruit assembled just after Victorinox took over Wenger? The Wenger blades were a bit wider with more belly on the blade than the Vic's.

Assuming the old Wenger blades fit a Vic 84mm frame, perhaps they had some leftover Wenger blade stock to be used and fitted that in some early post takeover Recruit's? Perhaps. On the other hand, the Recruit is Vic model made in Ibach and the Wenger model were at that point still being made to Wenger specs at their DelƩmont plant.

Thinking about it, I miss good old Wenger as an independent company and I certainly liked their simple Swiss cross logo better that the Victorinox logo. My very first encounter with a pocket knive of any sort, was with Wenger when I was 10 or so. I still remember their small display stands in front of those typical small cutlery stores in many small German towns in the late 1980's. Retail prices for Wenger were always lower than Victorinox and dad would pay for one with that beautifully designed 20 Mark bill, the one with the old lady on it. Ahh, such good memories.

I recently purchased a Recruit a couple of months ago. I gave my wife one some years ago for Christmas and saw it on the nightstand and thought," Hey, that could be pretty handy". Or some such. I just wanted to by a new knife. Anyway, I have carried it almost everyday in my back jeans pocket. So 8 weeks of daily carry and I have actually used the tools a few times. Saved a walk back to the truck for my Leatherman. That blade though...scary sharp. I maintain it on a piece of cardboard I keep at my desk. I have a Nylon Spartan as well. I know the Nylon is supposed to be a little tougher, just does not click with me. I like the shiny red. Got the Classic in my shirt pocket. The recruit seems to cover all the bases for me in light weight, sharp and classy. Yeah, I think it's my favorite with the Alox Cadet. Love that RED

Last edited:
I recently purchased a Recruit a couple of months ago. I gave my wife one some years ago for Christmas and saw it on the nightstand and thought," Hey, that could be pretty handy". Or some such. I just wanted to by a new knife. Anyway, I have carried it almost everyday in my back jeans pocket. So 8 weeks of daily carry and I have actually used the tools a few times. Saved a walk back to the truck for my Leatherman. That blade though...scary sharp. I maintain it on a piece of cardboard I keep at my desk. I have a Nylon Spartan as well. I know the Nylon is supposed to be a little tougher, just does not click with me. I like the shiny red. Got the Classic in my shirt pocket. The recruit seems to cover all the bases for me in light weight, sharp and classy. Yeah, I think it's my favorite with the Alox Cadet. Love that RED
The recruit and classic make a great team. SAK scissors are second to none. Its too bad there is no recruit equivalent model with scissors.

I do love me that small pack of goodness too, so no, you're not alone. I often use one as my around home/light duties knife. The smooth backside is a huge attraction, which is another reason why I love the Pioneer/Farmer as my work knives. Get rid of the keyring nub, and they're even better in hand(particularly the Alox keyrings)

And, to add my preferences: 1. large blade, 2. small blade, 3. screwdriver/ bottle opener and, 4. out-the-front awl, that I find very useful. The solution? BRING BACK THE ELECTRICIAN!

I like the recruit too. In large part because I like the smooth back spring and lack of back side tools. I can't deny that I have used the back side phillips many times, and I love the awl on a sak, so I choose those if it's got to have back tools. But if I can choose to have them as an in-line tool, I'd much rather have that any day. I think that's a big part of why I like the alox models so much. I've been carrying my Farmer X most every day since I got it a few months ago. If it could have an in-line phillips too... Dreams...

The Recruit is my favorite SAK. It is what is normally in my pocket if I am not carry something with a clip. It is so clean and simple, and is the perfect size for me if I am carrying in the bottom of the pocket.
I like the Pioneer sometimes if I am wearing pants or shorts with bigger pockets.

Back