I know this probably sounds stupid but...

I was thinking last night as I went to unlock my house door. What if victorinox made a model with a blank for a house key? You could bring it to a hardware store and get it cut to your house, but have it removeable somehow so you could change it when you changed locks or something. I wouldn't mind that! I had my vic. camper on me last night and got the idea by thinking how when i was younger i used to try and unlock doors with a screw driver haha.

Cool idea! They could sell blanks for all the popular key profiles. I would love to be able to carry an emergency car key for those times I accidentally lock my keys in the car. Doh!

I read this earlier and have been thinking about it all day. Awesome idea. What if you had all of your keys in an alox SAK, with maybe a knife and screwdriver? Or maybe just keys. No key chain. Very cool. Your car key could stop halfway like the screwdriver, so it wouldn't stick straight out.

How hard would this be to make? Who could do it?

It's been done on production folders before.

The biggest problem is that it would require a very wide variety of key blanks. Interchangeability would mitigate this significantly, but I don't know how much more complicated that would make things.

It apparently isn't that hard, and I originally posted pictures and a link to such a project, but I think discussion of it might be disallowed since that would be using non-factory parts :confused:.

Last edited:
While kozak is doing his thing...

I think this would be easy to do as far as the key is concerned. It's the attachment that's the question. You could use the Leatherman flat screwdriver connector or need to find a removable hinge pin design.

in the past sutch key folders where made. somehow they never did get popular. i think its mainly the size of the keys needed that demand an bigger pocketknife for storage the key was the problem. and the many different key blanks too. and we in swiss/europe have way different keys too. so all in all it would be not suitable to make in serialproduction.

we will see for the future if we can make sutch on an 91mm sak frame, for us key. i think we do need an original key that works, made out of steel and weld it on an altered tool that the spring works. to do so we need the ok from ibach, otherwise we dont do it as we do not have factory warranty etc.

Dont most US home door locks only use 4 or so diffent key styles? You could do one on a mid size frame like a Tinker or Farmer with just the main blade, and screw driver, and key blank. Still be pretty light and compact and just replace a key ring knife.

Dont most US home door locks only use 4 or so diffent key styles? You could do one on a mid size frame like a Tinker or Farmer with just the main blade, and screw driver, and key blank. Still be pretty light and compact and just replace a key ring knife.

Yes. You can pick up designer keys at walmart or a hardware store and 99% of the time they work in different brand locks.

Keys are seldom made of steel; they need to be softer than the lock tumblers and easily machinable. Brass is common - I don't know what other metals.

swiss keys are made out of steel and many german ones too. if the key is made that way usually the lock is steel too, all great quality.

theres an bunch of different key models in usa. the only way we can make it happen is somehow attatch your key to the sak tool. since non steel we cant weld it on and it should be doable for all people here easy.

I'd buy one. heck, if they just sold a SAK with no blades, tools, etc and a key blank, I'd buy it.

regarding the bladeless sak, everybody who is interested in an 91mm bladeless sak please send me an email or use the contact form on my website goal is to gather up needs of tools and as we have an number, say 20 pcs together i will hand assemble that proto run.

Back