I love sharpening zdp-189

Let a friend borrow my zdp caly JR, and he put a small chip in the edge while cutting wire! He knows I carry a leatherman wave, and has a couple aus8 CRKTs of his own (one I gave him) grr...

To fix the edge, I started with a 600 DMT sharpening steel. Raised a tiny burr in a few dozen light strokes, then ten per side on the Spyderco profiles, ultrafine, watercolor paper loaded with 2.5 micron SiC, and finally the CrO loaded strop, and she's splitting hairs again. We're talkin' five minutes work, tops.

The right abrasives, good geometry to start off with, and properly treated steel make the difference. Don't be scared of the high Rc numbers when it comes time to sharpen.:thumbup:

Don't be scared of the high Rc numbers when it comes time to sharpen.:thumbup:

I've been surprised how easy it's to sharpen my calypso jr. zdp. The difficulty is not to raise a burr but to feel it under the nail 'cause it will be a very tiny one.

dantzk.

I sharpened with the 600 diamond til the nick was gone. two light passes after that and it was shaving, the rest of the steps were to polish the edge

Back