1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

I made a page dedicated to Maryland's edge weapon laws

Discussion in 'Knife Laws' started by glistam, Oct 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. glistam

glistam

Dec 27, 2004
    Those of you on this forum might remember me as someone who's spent a lot of time researching laws on knives, including reading case law, and doing interviews with prosecutors and cops. I even provided some of my findings to Knife Rights.

Given the irritating amount of misinformation I still seem to be seeing or hearing, I finally carved out a portion of my site specifically to devote to my home state of Maryland.

http://weaponlaws.wikidot.com/maryland-knife-laws

Right now this document is still a draft as I'm sure I've made numerous typos. But it contains references for each and every assertion about the law, including both statutes and case law. if you have new or interesting case law that would be of interest, please reply!

Let me head off anyone who's preparing to type "Wait, but I thought..." If you don't have a clear citation to support that, it's probably a myth.

2. Collectin410

Collectin410

Oct 29, 2017
    Great write-up, saved a copy for the sources. I'm curious how a deep carry clip on an auto would be handled in court, perhaps even with a lanyard. My gut says :-(

One thing I've often heard, if an auto or fixed blade knife is carried for general self-defense, it is illegal regardless of being openly carried. Thoughts?

Thanks for taking the time to share mate!

3. glistam

glistam

Dec 27, 2004
    Hey thanks for reading it! It's just a first draft so I am seeking feedback.
    So, I tried to address this the paragraph on switchblades, but the general subject matter is covered under "Concealment." But long story short, this is untested territory. There is literally no case law one way or the other. I would imagine it's down to how obvious a clipped knife can be identified as a knife by a regular citizen who is not too familiar with knives. Like, if your grandma or a grocery store cashier saw a clipped knife in your pocket when you're talking to them, would they know it's a knife? Or would they think it's a pen or a flashlight?
    In terms of statutory law and case law, this is categorically false. If you look at my section on "Self-Defense," you'll the state law (4-101) actually has a provision on this that says quite the opposite, though it is left to the courts.
    What this myth might be born out of is not law, but rather the opinions and social psychology of police officers. While not universal, many police officers are very uneasy when anyone carrying a weapon says it's for self-defense. This is usually because of one or both of the following:
    • Actual criminals frequently carry weapons and try to claim it's for self-defense even though it can be pretty obvious they have it because their about to commit a crime or because they expect to get into a fight they may have had a hand in provoking, such as people with gang affiliations. Getting lied to constantly makes cops jump to conclusions and view innocent people with suspicion. This is due to the inherent selection bias of being a cop: 99% of the people cops even have to talk to about weapons are criminals, while good citizens never even attract that cops attention even if they significantly outnumber them.
    • A large number of police officers suffer from a social process called "collective narcissism." Long story short, both the power they possess over human life and freedom, as well as a sense of duty to protect and serve, goes to their head. They start to unconsciously think they are the only people that can be trusted to use physical force, and a citizen that is capable of protecting themselves sort of invalidates their ego and sense of purpose.
    Both of these might make a cop act hostile towards a person claiming their auto or fixed blade is for self-defence, and they might try to weasel around the law in a couple of ways. First, they might lie about the law to discourge a person they encounter from doing it again ("I'll let you off with a warning this time, but you better not make a habit of it"). They might push this farther with an off-the-books confiscation, claiming they could have arrested you but you're getting off easy. They may alternatively go "fishing" for some other reason to arrest someone, like tricking somoene into consenting to a search so they can find "drug paraphenalia" or some other weird, trivial thing to charge someone with that they would normally ignore.

Point is, it's best to choose your words carefully if you're explaining yourself to a cop, and better to avoid attention entirly if you can. But generally, the law is on your side.

Sorry for the essay. Should I have clarified in my article the part about concealed autos?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 8:55 AM
    Man with no name likes this.