I may need to get rid of the rest of my knives

A number of years ago I lost the 1st sheath knife that my dad ever gave me. At the time I realized it was gone it didn’t seem like to big of a deal. As the years went on I felt the need to recapture my mis-spent youth, I have missed it more and more. I couldn’t remember the model, or maker, just the shape and what it looked like. Over the last 2 years I have been trying to replace it, but everywhere I looked I couldn’t find it. So today I was browsing cheaperthandirt.com and saw a picture that looked really familiar. Did some research and it looks like it was a KaBar. So I’m taking a chance and ordering it to see if it is actually it. Wish me luck.

https://www.kabar.com/product_detai...categoryId=2,7&categoryName=Hunting/Sporting#

Mike

Don't think so. I was 10 so it was back in 1983 and we got it at a Big 5, a sporting goods store in Glendale close to where I grew up. I'm sure it was less than $20 then and I don't think they ever had Randall's.

I got it the begining of summer for a report card that didn't have anything below a C on it. I guess we really didn't have high expectations for me then eh?

Mike

Nope, I distinctly remember the serated notch on the back of the blade right above the handle. The sheath is the only thing that seems different.

Back then, Western also produced a very similar knife, as did a few other makers. It was a popular style at the time.

stevekt said:
Glendale, CA?

Yep, I grew up over in La Canada.

Thanks for the info Grandpa, I seem to remeber that there was a deer on the sheath, which led me to believe that it was made by Buck, but they don't make anything like that anymore. Does a buck model 19 ring anybells?

I might browse a bit then at check western. Any other makers you can think of?

flylock

Platinum Member
with a deer on the sheath , I'd say it was something german made.

Linder has discontinued a lot of knives in recent years. I guess that it was more common to find them with stag or faux stag handles. A skinner type with thumb grooves was pretty common.
http://theknifeman.com/linder.html

Usually you wouldn't find animals on US made sheaths. That was a very German thing to do. As a classic example of German deer fondness look at this knife from Kissing Crane:
http://theknifeman.com/kissing-crane.html

Once upon a time there was an importer located around Montrose or LaCrescenta named Solingen Cutlery that imported knives just like that.

I never saw a store like that around Montrose or La Crescenta. I was there from 73 to 91. That kills me that I missed that.

flylock said:
with a deer on the sheath , I'd say it was something german made.

I have an Edge Mark hunting knife with a deer on the sheath. It's a German import. A fairly generic hunting knife like that KA-BAR.

Solingen Cutlery wasn't a store, it was an importing company. They had a warehouse and small showroom. It was a plain looking building without signs. They didn't sell direct to the public. I had a friend with a knife shop in Pasadena. She sent me up to the showroom to see if I thought she should add anything to her stock in trade. I think that it was on La Crescenta Avenue just north of Montrose Avenue. I could be off by a few blocks. It was the late 1960's when I last saw the place.

lumpymike1 said:
A number of years ago I lost the 1st sheath knife that my dad ever gave me. At the time I realized it was gone it didn’t seem like to big of a deal. As the years went on I felt the need to recapture my mis-spent youth, I have missed it more and more. I couldn’t remember the model, or maker, just the shape and what it looked like. Over the last 2 years I have been trying to replace it, but everywhere I looked I couldn’t find it. So today I was browsing cheaperthandirt.com and saw a picture that looked really familiar. Did some research and it looks like it was a KaBar. So I’m taking a chance and ordering it to see if it is actually it. Wish me luck.

https://www.kabar.com/product_detai...categoryId=2,7&categoryName=Hunting/Sporting#

Mike

That knife looks very much like a knife I have. The knife is from Solingen Herder, with no steel marks on the blade.

I still can't post pics on this forum:eek: but if you want to see it, I can e-mail it to you.

spydutch said:
That knife looks very much like a knife I have. The knife is from Solingen Herder, with no steel marks on the blade.

I still can't post pics on this forum:eek: but if you want to see it, I can e-mail it to you.

That would be great if you could.

mngoodrich1@yahoo.com

Mike

I'll bet this is it. This is the Western. I found it in a gas station parking lot. Been run over a few times. It has some sort of picture on the blade that I can't make out. Looks to be a fish of some sort. Would like to see that picture but have never seen a minty one.

western0dg.jpg

:confused: