I need help blackening filework.

I usually etch with ferric chloride to darken my filework but I want something darker.
I'm going to look into boron carbide coating or maybe powder coating for future blades but I need one done this weekend and I'd like it to be black.
Any suggestions?
I was also thinking about the black laquer that some smiths use on damascus but I don't know where to get it or how it works.

It comes from Brownells, and is called "baking lacquer". Name says it all. Comes in a number of colors. Pg. 185 of the new catalog. Matte Black is P/N 083-046-801.

Jason, if you have to bake it do not exceed about 550 F and use a oven thermometer to be sure. Above that temp. can soften the blade (I presume you are doing the 154CM blade I HT'ed for you).

RL

Jason, about the only thing I can think of locally would be what they call "engine black" or high temp barbeque paint. Ofttimes engine black is what they call "wrinkle paint". You won't want that.

If you get the baking lacquer, it comes in several types. Get the Moly, it holds up better. Rodger, the baking temp for the lacquer is 325 to 350.

Jason, go to an auto paint store. They will have baking epoxy but that will take a little trial and error. If you call around you should be able to find a body shop that will powder coat it for you quick. Good luck!

Easy as can be on an oil quenched blade. Just don't clean it out :)
Not sure how to help on the ATS34 though, be interested in hearing how the bake on stuff turns out it you use it.

Back