I need help finding this knife

I have an eod friend. He showed me a knife that was all carbon fiber. It was sharp as my benchmade, and held an edge. The only markings on it were
ARL-P4 below is a picture.
QPL3sf

Carbon fiber does not hold an edge. At least not in comparison to steel.

Found this on a web site:
EOD ARL-P4 carbon fiber probe/digging knife.
- 13" in length
- Made of non-conductive material
- Designed for detection and rendering safe IEDs and mines.​
No info on the manufacturer.
So it is designed to dig, not cut. If it actually did "hold an edge as well as your Benchmade", I'd recommend spending some time in the Maintenance forum and improve my sharpening skills.

Found this on a web site:

No info on the manufacturer.
So it is designed to dig, not cut. If it actually did "hold an edge as well as your Benchmade", I'd recommend spending some time in the Maintenance forum and improve my sharpening skills.
Dude. My benchmade is fine. The guy I know had it really sharp.

Well, it's a carbon fiber blade. "carbon fiber" means it's an epoxy laminate made with carbon fiber reinforcement. It will pierce, but not cut, at least not for long.

Achieving an edge and holding one are pretty different. But that is a cool item ,have you seen the G10 laminate blades?

Last edited:
It had a resin over it. It may not hold an edge, but it was slicing paper

I think you need to keep in mind that people are talking about holding an edge, not having an edge. Sure it might cut/slice paper well for a while, but it'll dull very quickly and lose that ability very fast. And if you try to sharpen it again you'll inhale very hazardous carbon fibers that ruin your lung.

What advantage does an EOD get from the knife shape other than getting to reenact some of his favourite movie scenes?

Alot of the mine probes I’ve seen are longer nonmagnetic rods.

What advantage does an EOD get from the knife shape other than getting to reenact some of his favourite movie scenes?

Alot of the mine probes I’ve seen are longer nonmagnetic rods.

It can dig/scrape better than a rod I imagine, and you can use it maybe as a latch ditch self defense tool. The former seems practical to me, the latter seems like a good marketing tool.

It can dig/scrape better than a rod I imagine, and you can use it maybe as a latch ditch self defense tool. The former seems practical to me, the latter seems like a good marketing tool.

Yeah I guess that makes sense.

If plastic knives were as sharp as and held their edges as well as Benchmades and other steel blades then Knife Center, BHQ, SMKW and all the other major vendors would be feverishly hawking more plastic knives than you could count. The fact that they aren’t speaks volumes about the comparison between plastic “blades” and steel knives. Dude.

Reactions: Mo2

Better stiffness and ability to pry and pierce into the ground. Carbon fiber is also non-conductive, so it won’t accidentally short exposed wires.

Back