i need some input for cutting a 10' x 12" x 2" tiger maple plank

i'm doing some trading for an old tiger maple plank and i was wondering the best way to cut it for slabs. i will post some pictures of the plank when i get the chance. a friend is planing the board for me and i'll take a picture then when its not so rough looking.

I'm betting the best figure will show on the radial surface. It's probably a boule-cut slab so you will end up cutting in different orientations to get the best figure. Find where the grain is and cut accordingly.

On a side note, I would not have had it planed. You lose some thickness (not much) that may be useful in future projects. The planing has no benefit for handles simply because you'll be sculpting them later.

Regarding planing it, if it's so rough or dirty and you can't see the grain or figure it might be well worth it to plane it down a bit.

thats what i was thinking, take off just enough to see what there is to work with. i noticed that in rough cut wood its hard to see the grain pattern clearly. this piece looks ancient.

Back