• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

I need suggestions

pillshovel

Gold Member
I am new to the forums, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest a descent folder to be used in and around water. I have lost my fair share of knives to corrosion after weeks in the river. I know this is an odd question, but any help provided will be appreciated.

------------------
PILLSHOVEL

I'm assuming it's salt water? Do you prefer a fixed blade or folder? Do you prefer fully serrated or not?

Folders: Spyderco Military (full serrated option available) with black blade coating, Benchmade AFCK (plain, partial, or full serrations available, and BT2 blade coating)

Fixed Blade: Benchmade Nimravus (has a BT coating standard and the option of plain or partial serrations) and has a kydex sheath and stainless clip that will resist the elements as well.

Most other factory tacticals have similar options, but these would be the best in my opinion for rapid deployment in an emergency situation and defense against the rigors of salt water.

Either way you go, if you're dealing with salt or even brackish water you'll need to rinse them out with fresh and oil them up afterwards. The same can be said with fresh water with extended use.

Take a look at the partially serrated Spyderco Native. In my experience, the serrations are superior to a plain edge for dealing with wet rope and the combo edge gives you the best of both worlds.

Two other suggestions -- Use a Marine Tuf-Cloth to protect the blade and keep the action well-lubed with a product such as Tuf-Glide. You might also want to consider getting one of the River City neck sheaths for your folder. In addition to hanging from your neck, they can be secured to your PFD, keeping your folder handy even when seated.

BTW, welcome to the forums!

------------------
Cheers,

--+Brian+--

[This message has been edited by bcaffrey (edited 09 July 1999).]

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Merlin (or Harpy, or whatever). One of the hooked blades, especially the new one with the zytel handle (Merlin?) Someone help me here, I haven't been paying enough attention to the hook-ed Spydies. Also, one of the Rescue or Rescue Jr. Again, teamed with a Mike Sastre River City kydex sheath.

------------------
Work hard, play hard, live long.
Outlaw_Dogboy

You might want to look at the EDI Genesis in Talonite. Talonite is rust proof (really) as well as non-magnetic. EDI makes a fine knife... and the price is not way out of line.

AJ

Not an odd question at all. There is a current ground swell of makers making folders with non-ferous blades. The good materials are Talonite, Stellite, and beta Titanium.

The lowest cost alternative in a folder that I know of is the David Boye Cobalt folder with a Zytel handle and cast Stelite blade. It holds an edge longer than steel, and it is immune to corosion. I think they sell for around $100.

Cheers,

Harv

Thanks for helping the new guy out. I appreciate the insight.

------------------
PILLSHOVEL

Back