I simply don't brag on Andy's work enough

Steely_Gunz

Got the Khukuri fevah
Hello fellas. I don't post around here much, but I have recently rekindled a romance with my Fiddleback Woodsman. As Andy knows, I tend to blab on and on, but when a guy creates such a fine functional piece of art I think a few words of reminding and thanking him are in order from time to time. I'll do my best to be brief;)

As the fates have allowed, time has passed since the birth of my daughter. Two years next month, actually. While many of you are fantastic, devoted, and loving dads, I'm sure you can remember the first couple of years where your little one simply wasn't big enough to enjoy some of the more physical and strenuous things that you did in the times before daddydom. One of my absolute favorite activities was getting outdoors and enjoying a little camping. Nothing hardcore or Mountain Manish, mind you. I'm far too big of a wuss for that:p But getting out and communing with nature for a night or two always does my soul good. The fresh air, the smoke of a hand-built fire as well the coal-cooked food in a dutch over that goes along with it, and the leisurely hikes through the woods always did more to mend my work-fractured little psyche in 2 days than 2 weeks at an overcrowded beach ever did. The stillness of the woods requires my mind to be still, to relax, to shut the hell up and unwind.

I digress. My daughter is now a full blown and curious toddler capable of long days of running around and expending more energy than I can ever hope to produce again in the rest of my lifetime. We have decided that it is time to put our toe back into the camping waters. The Mrs is not into roughing it by any stretch, so we have elected to meet up with some friends and their 3 year old daughter and split a cabin for a few nights in a semi-secluded spot nestled in the Michigan woods. We leave in 3 weeks. I am already packed:D

The first thing I did (like all of you) is select the tools I would "need"...now, we all know that NEED is a very short word often thrown around the forums that actually translates into "A bunch of toys I fantasize about needing as the zombie-bears attack and I alone must MacGyver a survival plan to save my family and helpless friends". In short, I have a bag full of multi-tools, a Zippo, a flint and steel, some water purifier, a med kit extensive enough to treat wounds from military small arms fire, about 500 feet of paracord, zip ties, pry bars, mini-pry bars, and just about everything under the sun that one could need to survive 2 nights at a fully furnished cabin located 20 minutes off a main drag and 25 minutes from a Super Wal Mart.:eek:

Of course, I'm also a Khukuri guy. That was actually a pretty easy tool to pick out, as I have a nice M-43 that has become my trail/camp firewood chopper over the last 6 or 7 years. I could fret and hem and haw over what to take. Lord knows that I have enough of them to choose from. However, space in the trunk of the Fusion is at a premium. My wife insists on packing not only her OWN clothes, but that our daughter also needs both clothes and an umbrella stroller...and here I thought we were camping ;) So, one big chopper and I'm set.

Finally, a belt knife. Do I go big and bring one of my ridiculously large HI bowies? Do I go light and bring my Kismet Practical Hunter (the original HI one and not nearly as gorgeous version that Andy designed...still drooling over those)? Do I go with a soulless stainless jobby since this is most likely just going to be used to whittle a marshmallow roasting stick for my daughter?...Of course not. This was an easy choice even if I love my HI bowies, my KPH, and...well, I don't love my soulless mass produced knives, but they aren't bad either. If I going to the woods, I bring my Woodsman. A second thought never enters my mind. Outdoors = Fiddleback Woodsman hanging on my right side (I like carrying it strong side). When I get up in the morning, the Woodsman in there when I slide on my jeans. The knife I use to open the packages of breakfast bacon...the Woodsman. The knife I use to prep the fire...You guessed it. To be utterly and completely blunt and honest, if you MADE me pick one blade that would be my only tool on a desert island, made me pick one knife that I would be buried with, and made me pick one knife as the one I am most proud to own...it would earnestly be my Fiddleback Woodsman.

I have handled many, many knives from many makers, from many lands, made out of many materials. Andy Roy crafted my Excalibur some three years ago, and it has not be surpassed by anything since. Beautifully crafted with those made-just-for-you hand hugging grips made out of walnut and osage, this knife is simply the most comfortable and fatigue-free blade I have ever handled. Now, she's no beauty queen...I mean, she started out that way. However, over the years she's been used to cut all manner of acid foods, quartered ribs, and carefully batonned through kindling. I know Andy wants his knives used, and used she has been. I still keep her hair popping sharp, but the mars and nicks and stains of a well-lived life are there. Every time I show my Woodsman to a friend, I tell them "This one is my favorite. It's custom. Here, hold it." They simply can't appreciate it until that smooth handle melts into their mitt with the kind of mass that almost makes the knife feel alive in your hands. It practically breathes.

So, I finally feel ready for my first outdoor outing in years. Favorite khuk already lashed to my pack, old Ithaca 37 shotgun dusted off and ready to go in the trunk just in case (hey, the car is never too full to have to leave my favorite gun at home...zombie bears, remember?), and my Woodsman stropped to a scary sharp edge, oiled, and ready to get really dirty for the first time in a very long time. Time to leave the kitchen and head back to the wilds where we belong.

Once again, thanks so much for crafting such a great user, Andy. I'd recommend you to anyone, and I often do:thumbup:

Here's a pic of the Woodsman before I got her all dirtied up again with meat juice from a BBQ cook-off the next day:p
IMG00089-20101028-1212.jpg

Sweet! I home you enjoy your much needed woods time. We took my nephew camping the first time when he was only 2. The funniest thing was his expression when he woke up the next morning and realized he was in a tent in the woods - absolute astonishment! He loved it.

Thanks for bringin out a pick of your Woodsman. We just don't see enough of those anymore.

Excellent review. I stupidly sold my Woodsman a couple years ago. Yours is gorgeous!

Steely absolutely a great review, I enjoyed your writing. I'm sure you are one heck of a story teller around the campfire.

Great story and thats one nice woodsman and next on my list of Andys knives to get. Hey did'nt you have a colum in the IN. times.:D
Have fun on your trip brother and stay safe. :thumbup:

Doug

Thanks fellas:)

I apologize for not making it more of a review, but most of y'all know what kind of work Andy's knives can pull out. Besides, I can cut fuzzy sticks with a steak knife I had to. It's hard to describe the feel that Andy gives his knives. It sounds cliche, but you really CAN feel that he's put more than a little bit of his soul into his work.

My Woodsman doesn't see much work in the woods. I live in suburbia. However, it's my veggie knife, my grilling knife, and even carved my Thanksgiving turkey last year. I guess my favorite part of Andy's work is that you can actually feel how he's incorporated the things he's learned from others:thumbup:

I suppose I'm just a sentimental sucker. I'll have the Woodsman Andy made me on my hip, I'll be packing the khuk I ordered from Yangdu that split the wood I burned at the cabin my groomsmen and I stayed at the evening before my wedding nearly 7 years ago, and the Ithaca 37 riding back up is an heirloom shooter I got from an ol' Wisconsin Woodsman friend known about on several of the forums. When I bring gear along from good friends, it's almost like I've got them there with me.

Much appreciated listening to my rambling, gents:)

Hey Jake, nice to see you posting over here! I got to play with a woodsman a few weeks ago and loved it! Andy sure does a good job. Hope you guys have a good time on your campout. Please bring some pictures back with you.

SG...do you have any more pictures of the Woodsman you can offer?

Mark

Great writeup. just got in from a short walk in the woods with my son(who happens to be 2 years next month). Keeping my ff bushcrafter on my right hip so I can cut some sticks for him and slice some sausage I feel confident that we can survive this strenous (for a two-year old) walk. Unfortunately because of the midnight sun sleeping in a tent with a wee one is not really an option......

SG...do you have any more pictures of the Woodsman you can offer?

Mark

Not yet, but I hope to get a few more once I get my Wildmanh sheath I just ordered for it. So, in case you lost count of my spiritual camping buddies: That makes Andy, Yangdu, Kismet, and now Heber:D

I'm an amateur leather bender, but I have lusted after some of Heber's work for a good long while now. My short list includes a FB machete and Wildmanh to house it:D...of course, I have to pay off that khuk I just ordered first:p

Not yet, but I hope to get a few more once I get my Wildmanh sheath I just ordered for it. So, in case you lost count of my spiritual camping buddies: That makes Andy, Yangdu, Kismet, and now Heber:D

I'm an amateur leather bender, but I have lusted after some of Heber's work for a good long while now. My short list includes a FB machete and Wildmanh to house it:D...of course, I have to pay off that khuk I just ordered first:p

Speaking of Machete sheaths, I have a few to finish up between now and Monday. Will get your sheath done between them and next weekend when I go camping! :D

Andy's machete's are great! I've had my 12" for over a year now and still don't have my own sheath for it. Got one in progress though. ;) Hope to pick up some bigger ones this summer.

For a knife of mine to be a friends go to blade is such an honor. Thanks for the message Jake. I know youre busy this time of year in addition to daddy, hubby and vacation duties. Thanks

Heber makes a fine sheath for sure. Solid work produced from a solid individual. :)

Mark

Not yet, but I hope to get a few more once I get my Wildmanh sheath I just ordered for it. So, in case you lost count of my spiritual camping buddies: That makes Andy, Yangdu, Kismet, and now Heber.

And, I'm sure, everyone of those listed is honored by your friendship.

You're about to enter the most wonderful phase of fatherhood. For a few years, your daughter will think you are WONDERFUL, and know everything, and are the funniest man alive, and the strongest, and can make all the bad things go away.

No matter where you are, it will be fun for her at this age. You and Andy share this opportunity for magic moments.
LeslieandNicoleonLog2.jpg

Nice of you to let the rest of us look on.

Be well and safe.

Back