I think I have a problem...

I've always been into good cutlery for the kitchen, and over the years I have a small but serious selection of Wusthof, WMF, Henckles- but despite being outdoors for work several days a week and being a very serious hunter and fisherman, I haven't owned a decent pocketknife since I lost a beloved Puma lockback in boy scouts several decades ago. The last 8 deer I field dressed I used a POS 2 blade Gerber with one of the blades broken. I had found this knife in the woods while hunting...

Innocently browsing e-bay one day, I somehow ended up bidding on and winning a cheap folding knife. It was a Fred Carter designed knife made by Gigand. I think I paid $19 for it. When it arrived, and I opened the box, I was stunned by how much nicer it was than anything I had carried. It sliced the hair off my arm out of the box, the locking liner was smooth as butter, etc. Just knocked my socks off. So then I started looking for these knives. 5 Fred Carters later, I find this forum.

I can see myself spending WAY too much $ on knives from now on thanks to the likes of Chris Reeve, Doug Ritter, etc. etc. Thanks a lot :rolleyes:

Cool forum...

Welcome to the forums.

My advice would be if you're in the US to go over to the passaround forums so you can try some stuff for free (well almost for free).

My other piece of advice is save for a Chris Reeve and skip everything else. :p

I find it really cool that you dressed out your deers with a knife you found while hunting. That makes a neat circle. The only thing better would be chipping out a flint or obsedian blade on the spot and field dressing with it. Good going and welcome to the knife lifestyle!

It gets much worse, believe me. There are much nicer knives than those Fred Carter imports. :)

Welcome, its like an addiction. You will find a lot of good information on this forum. Enjoy.

Tom

Thanks for the welcome! I hope to make it to the Baltimore Knife Show this year- heck, that's just 20 minutes from my house... Maybe I'll get to handle some great knives there. Luckily- as a biologist I'm way too poor to get crazy with buying expensive knives.

And Jeff Clark- stop sending me links like that! It's hard enough resisting temptation on my own. You are not helping... :D

Bowser- I agree that it was kind of neat- but then I went and lost the knife myself last year in Zaleski SF in Ohio. Maybe a third person is using that knife now.

Back