I Think I've Chipped My Blade - What Now?

I'm an idiot. I've used and abused my beloved Spyderco Paramilitary 2 S110V Knife for about a year and half. The blade has stayed pristine. Today I was untangling wires and used it to cut through a thicker wire and checked afterwards and noticed two tiny chips on the edge. They're tiny so should I worry about it? Since they're so small could I send it in to get sharpened to get them out? Or would that work? They're tiny but my heart is broken. I know it will happen with use but it doesn't make it any easier. So, what do you all think? Should I worry about it or? Is it easily fixed since they're so small? Picture is below.
20210411-170132.jpg

Just sharpen it normally and they'll disappear eventually as you hone the edge over time. That's nothing on a working knife, Sharpmaker will take care of them.

Reactions: DMG
That is not a blade that has been used and abused for a year and a half.
You may have owned or even carried it for a year and a half, but a blade doesn’t stay pristine with use much less abuse.
Sharpen it or send it out to be sharpened and move on.

Reactions: DMG
What a perfect excuse to learn sharpening. I figure you don't sharpen, because otherwise it would be more clear that such small chips are easily fixed with a low-grit stone (diamond, I guess, since it's S110V). They probably won't interfere much with function, though.

Do you have a way to sharpen it?

I am happy you've enjoyed it for that amount of time!

S110v maxamet and rex 45 are my favorites at the moment

I had a Bareknuckle that I only intended to carry once in a while. I wanted to keep it in new condition for eventual trade/resale.
I accidentally dropped it on the sidewalk last year, and really screwed up the aluminum scales. I'm glad I messed it up. Now it is one of my favorite users.
Once I have designated a knife as a "user" I stop worrying about rubs, dings, chips, and just enjoy it.
3xLzsV6.jpg

This "gently used" Military that I bought from a BF member is my favorite user!
Yqpmh2o.jpg

Last edited:
With s110 you are lucky that's your only issue. Spyderco gets a ton of them back with chipped/broken blades (so I've heard).

I'm an idiot. I've used and abused my beloved Spyderco Paramilitary 2 S110V Knife for about a year and half. The blade has stayed pristine. Today I was untangling wires and used it to cut through a thicker wire and checked afterwards and noticed two tiny chips on the edge. They're tiny so should I worry about it? Since they're so small could I send it in to get sharpened to get them out? Or would that work? They're tiny but my heart is broken. I know it will happen with use but it doesn't make it any easier. So, what do you all think? Should I worry about it or? Is it easily fixed since they're so small? Picture is below.
20210411-170132.jpg

E Eljay2 I haven't heard of a broken s110v blade ?
I heavily used a s110v manix 2 and never broke the blade

And B Brian Staton you can send it back to spyderco for a sharpening if you can't , or you can find plenty of people who offer a great sharpening service here

E Eljay2 I haven't heard of a broken s110v blade ?
I heavily used a s110v manix 2 and never broke the blade

And B Brian Staton you can send it back to spyderco for a sharpening if you can't , or you can find plenty of people who offer a great sharpening service here

Glad to hear you've had good luck with s110. Heard this from someone at Spyderco.

Only blades I've seen pics snapped are maxamet not s110v

Not saying it's not possible you can snap any knife in 2 if your using it in a manner it wasn't meant to be used (I've read people breaking maxamet under normal use but I've been lucky to not have that issue)

But honestly I like s110v can take a little longer to sharpen but it's been good for me

Last edited:
Brian, I’d suggest getting a system to sharpen it if you aren’t comfortable with stones and want to do it yourself. If you require sharpening services, feel free to contact me. S110V is my personal favorite EDC steel and I can put a lower grit toothy edge or mirror edge on your blade at whatever angle you prefer.

20210411-170132.jpg

I had a Bareknuckle that I only intended to carry once in a while. I wanted to keep it in new condition for eventual trade/resale.
I accidentally dropped it on the sidewalk last year, and really screwed up the aluminum scales. I'm glad I messed it up. It is one of my favorite users.
Once I have designated a knife as a "user" I stop worrying about rubs, dings,chips, and just enjoy it.
3xLzsV6.jpg

This "gently used" Military that I bought from a BF member is my favorite user!
Yqpmh2o.jpg
I really enjoy knives alot more once I close my eyes tight and put it to work.

Makes them more valuable to myself.

Hi Brian,

Welcome to our forum.

The edge is the knife. Everything else is packaging. A living using edge will change. It dulls, it chips, and you resharpen it. As mentioned a Sharpmaker will take good care of it. I also always recommend a 10X - 12X magnifying loupe to watch the edge close as you sharpen it and watch it transform into a new razor edge.

sal

I'm an idiot. I've used and abused my beloved Spyderco Paramilitary 2 S110V Knife for about a year and half. The blade has stayed pristine. Today I was untangling wires and used it to cut through a thicker wire

You are _not_ an idiot, that what these knives are made for. Just resharpen.

If you have never done it before: buy yourself a stone (e.g., Spyderco Medium Ceramic), watch some youtube, try out on a couple of cheap kitchen knives, and your are ready to go on this one.

Sorry OP, but your knife is ruined. You'd better either dispose of it, or better yet, send it to me for proper disposal.

All kidding aside, that is really not bad; I imagine many of my users have worse chips and I don't even notice them. It will sharpen out in no time, and until then, you have some nice mini serrations!

20210411-170132.jpg
Don’t let something that trivial eat ya up, sharpen it up and ignore them little chips. Thru use and then resharpening, they’ll become less and less noticeable until you’ve forgotten all about em.
I’ll agree with picking up the sharpmaker and the diamond stones. Easy to use and will keep your knives as sharp as you’ll ever need them to be.

If the edge is otherwise sharp, I suggest, don't even sharpen it right now, just keep using the knife and sharpen it only once it is not cutting paper well. By that time that tiny chip will probably be invisible. This is to prolong the longevity of the blade.

I agree that you should just ignore the chip and sharpen and use as regular.

Back