I think my SP5 is broken

jux t

Gold Member
When I grab the blade and handle separately and wiggle side to side, I feel a sliding/grinding in the handle.

I'm assuming that either the tang is broken or the tang is somehow able to slide back and forth on the lanyard tube.

Has anyone else experienced this? The knife has not been used hard, just minor brush clearing. Thanks in advance.

That doesn’t sound normal!

Maybe try sending it in and see what Ontario might do?

I have a couple and so far I have had no issues.

Keep us updated on what solutions you may find.

Go to OKC's website and get their customer service number. The times I had problems they handled it pretty well.

jux t,

Please call 1-800 222-5233. The Cust. Rep will give you the information on how to return the knife.
We will: 1) inspect the knife 2)repair or replace depending on the circumstances. 3) Ship back to you.
However, if it is a knock-off or totally abused we will have a conversation. :rolleyes:
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

jux t,

Please call 1-800 222-5233. The Cust. Rep will give you the information on how to return the knife.
We will: 1) inspect the knife 2)repair or replace depending on the circumstances. 3) Ship back to you.
However, if it is a knock-off or totally abused we will have a conversation. :rolleyes:
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
V.P. of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company
Thanks Toooj, I'll do that. It's a 1095 version and hasn't been used much.

Well, I sent my SP5 in for warranty work. As said, service was needed due to a loose handle.

I received the knife back yesterday. The blade is now securely in the handle. It seems that they have removed and re-secured a handle, using epoxy. The job seems like it will hold, and was not done too sloppily.

If I have a gripe, it is that the blade was poorly re-sharpened. I personally would have preferred to have the edge in the same condition I sent it in. The point is now a bit shorter and very obtuse.

Mostly good results, and I get to keep my 1095 blade.

Did you ask them to sharpen the edge? If not, I'd want another knife. Glad you are somewhat happy with the outcome atleast. I'd really like to see a picture of the repair and the re-sharpening job.

Last edited:
I did not ask for a sharpening. I’d post pictures but dislike using imgur. If there’s a way for gold members to post easily then I haven’t been able to find it.

Suffice it to say, the handle looks the same but with little black goo strips appearing where the blade meets the handle. It’s done pretty neatly.

The edge and clip point have been sharpened. The main edge has some black marks from the sharpening wheel presumably. The tip is a bit sloppy, and is not as pointy now as a result of all the edges meeting poorly. The clip point has been sharpened to have a slightly more acute edge.

For what I paid for the knife, I’m happy with the service.

As long as you're happy. I have only had experience with Leatherman and they are exceptional.
If you have pics on your device, just hit the "Upload a File" button and go from there...easy peasy lemon squeezy. But, hey, I understand :thumbsup: :cool:

If there’s a way for gold members to post easily then I haven’t been able to find it.
You're able to post pictures directly from your computer with a paid membership, no hosting site necessary.

You're able to post pictures directly from your computer with a paid membership, no hosting site necessary.
I see now. Will do when I get a chance. Just tried but it said the picture was too large.

I definitely would not be happy with that sharpening job.

When I get a chance I’ll talk to them about the poor sharpening. I can’t get that steel back and I didn’t want the clip point sharpened further. Double edged knives are illegal to carry where I live.

I live in "EVIL DAGGER LAND" as well, and didn't get an SP-5 till they didn't sharpen the swedge. A few times I got stopped seeing I had a having an "EVIL DAGGER" at a landing and such with my SP-5 strapped to the pack. I think they got mift they couldn't steal the steel, one even went as far as accusing me of blunting the swedge. I told him that would make it legal any ways and as he could see the blade coating was OVER the false swedge part. They must of been short on their ticket quota that month.

Back