I understand the Allure of Alox now...

I stopped into KTP on my weekly trip, and found their inventory of SAK's had greatly increased, a few more 111MM models, 4 or 5 different color schemes of Classics, a Minichamp Lite, and.....

the Soldier

on a whim i decided to look at it, it had a heft i had never associated with a 2 layer SAK, it had a clean backspring side, which was nice, but what impressed me, aside from it's heft and solid construction, was it's blade, a nice, thick spine, but still having a very thin, flat-ground blade, it strikes the perfect balance between strength and cutting prowess

it may not have the tool array of my SwissChamp, or the light weight and ability to vanish into the pocket of my Bantam, but i think it strikes a nice balance between tools, durability, size, and weight

I now understand the popularity of the Alox models....

I just got my first alox, too. They seem like a totally different breed of knife than the cellidor scaled models. The main blade is a little longer, a little broader and a lot thicker. The other tools are thicker as well. They may not offer a large selection of tools, but the tools that they do have are built tough.

Yes, I just ordered two more alox models from Felinevet to supplement my alox bantam. Can't wait to get them!

Andy

Very militaristic of you Andy. The 91 is a vicious edged weapon. Women will hide their children when you unleash that beast. Very tactical. The primary Dutch Army intimidation tool.

The 92, however, was used by the Dutch soldiers to cut tulips in spring. Women will ask me to show their children how it works. Comes in fushia I think.

Best,

oregon

Interesting - I agree - there must be something in the air. I finally got a Soldier sometime early this week as well:) I was very surprised at how much heft it had as well.

- gord

I think most people who say they don't like saks because they are'nt a real knife have never handled a soldier. Though my edc may vary from a stockman, sodbuster, opinel, I will always have a soldier in the other pocket. It's a heck of a knife.

jackknife said:
I think most people who say they don't like saks because they are'nt a real knife have never handled a soldier. Though my edc may vary from a stockman, sodbuster, opinel, I will always have a soldier in the other pocket. It's a heck of a knife.

You're dead on the money Jackknife. I've run into a more than a few folks who gave SAKs another look when they saw a Soldier for the first time. Didn't quite seem like such a little trinket anymore.

I would agree with you as well about being dead on the money, jackknife. I've been actually thinking about getting a Soldier for a year or so - it was just one of those things that fell into the "nice to have at some point" category but I never really got around to picking one up. Am I glad to have one now:D I just may have to pick some more Alox ones in those in between moments.....:) My knife list for my 'Vegas trip is starting to grow....leaving for the North American 8-Ball championship week after next, and was planning a little "knife hunt" before we started playing. I found out that I can indeed acquire one of the Wal-Mart Natives there, maybe a UK Penknife elsewhere, and now perhaps another Alox Vic or two is in the picture. I'm having second thoughts about asking for an "advance" on my "allowance" for 'Vegas - I guess I could forego one of the seafood buffet evenings at the Rio - that should just about cover the Vics off (we are planning to go twice....) Hmmmm...you've got me thinking...

- gord

What is the largest Alox model? Does anyone have pictures of a cellidor model's blade spine compared with the alox model's blade spine? Thanks

The Alox models are the stuff.

I love the Pioneer Harvester and the Electrician Plus. Both great 3 layer SAK's with wood saws. :)

Yum.

Duke05 said:
What is the largest Alox model? Does anyone have pictures of a cellidor model's blade spine compared with the alox model's blade spine? Thanks

UnknownVT has posted many outstanding comparison pictures of various aspects of saks. I imagine if you do a search on posts by UnknownVt, you might find the answer to your question.

Andy

Cool Hand Luke, Thanks for the thread link with pics by Unknown VT. Now I want a Farmer too.

I second the motion on that being a Compact. I have a fun story about my Vic Compact. I bought it used on ebay for a nice price. The pen was nearly dried up so I bought a few replacement pens. I went out walking one evening with a group of friends, one of them being into "geo-caching". He had his GPS with him and had programmed in a cache that would be along our walking route. Well, we found it, and it had a tiny notebook in it to record the date you found it and add comments. Nobody had a pen or pencil on them, so I whipped out the Compact and we used its pen to mark ourselves down in the log. A fun evening on many fronts, but whenever you can use your SAK, well, it just makes it better!

Back