I want a Surefire light, but which one?

For illumination and "persuasion" the D2D Defender seems good, with that toothed bezel; I never handled one, but in size and power is very similar to the E2e. My first Surefire was a 6P, three years latter I got an executive E2e for those circumstances where I can’t carry the bigger 6P, and I have just bought a L2 Digital Lumamax. The Led lights have a more diffuse beam, but they are great for general use. For "persuasion" perhaps the incandescent lamps are better, but as other have said, batteries run out fast; that is why I went to the L2 Lumamax: 15 lumens at low setting with a running time of 18 hours and 100 lumens for 60 minutes. Powerful enough to hide behind a wall of light, and long enough to hit with it if necessary or for power takedowns.

Tbar

I actually worked up a decently-sized article about light carry, about 2 years ago. The conclusion I have come to, is that, with the availability of inexpensive and reliable LED lights, there is no excuse to not have duplicate illumination always on hand.

I personally think a small "tactical" high intensity light and a small LED tasklight make about the perfect combination. In the woods, I carry a TwinTask light, which has both a high power option and extremely long-life LED option, for tracking and general purpose use after dark. This is a pretty good light, and I use the AA version, so batteries are cheap, and the unit ran me under $30. The downside is the size (larger than one would want to carry on your person daily), and the less-than-prime location of the on switch. Oddly, the TwinTask seems to not accept Duracell and EverReady batteries, but works fine on POS Rayovacs. :rolleyes:

For regular daily carry, I think a SureFire E2e and a Pelican L1 make a perfect combination. If you're concerned about potentially preserving night vision, choose the blue/green or red Pelican. Carrying (at least) two lights like this lets you use the less-powerful tasklight for the 95% or so of the tasks that do not need an intense long-range beam, while giving you the option of using the tactical light for potential "shooting solutions".

I think the whole impact bezel idea is for tactical posers, rather like Blackhawk's current ad campaign. The E2 standard bezel will work just fine if forced to use as impact tool (think eta koppo, Danny).

John

Danny,
I use and carry an older 9P, (3cell) Surefire. It puts out insane amounts of light, it would be my size if I was ging to get another Surefire. That said, I also use and carry an Inova XT5 LED flashlight for closeup light working. My most used light though is a Petzl Duo head mounted light. It has two light sources. 1ST is 6 volt high intensity bulb, the other is a 5 LED group. Both of these are contained in a oval dual reflector assembly on the front of your head. 4AA batteries are contained in a compartment on the back of your head. All of this is held together with a nice cloth/elastic headband. This light is the most versitile light I own. It never hurts to have lots of lights! :rolleyes:

I have had an old 6Z made of Al for several years. I also carry a couple of photon lights for the reasons others have mentioned. I like the shape and the pushbutton on switch on the base for flashing the light briefly on.

Well, I have an inova x5, and it is good, but the light isnt bright enough for me and the grip is smooth, so its hard to use it for striking.
Hmmm...

I won an auction for the surefire E2E HA Executive Elite.
78$ new.
Is that a good price?

1a_1_b.JPG

DannyinJapan said:
I won an auction for the surefire E2E HA Executive Elite.
78$ new.
Is that a good price?
Considering you can't get that for any less than MSRP of $95 from Surefire dealers, yes.

Nice starting light. You will end up with more though. I started with an E2e, now I have an A2, L4, and KL1/VG1 body hybrid with an E2e, two E1e's, a KL3, and a U2 inbound! :eek:

I think that's a few bucks off MSRP. Pick up a good LED, too- like I said, my favorite is the Pelican L1. About $10, lifetime warranty (excepting shark & bear attack, and children under 5 [!]), tailcap pushbutton switch, lasts 70-100+ hours, depending on LED color, replaceable batteries, and an excellent light that will do everything you want a light to do except illuminate at distance.

J

I'm old fashioned. I keep a 25/30 year old flashlight in the house I call "Old Ex-Lax". It is one of the original "cop" lights made by Kel-Light. 7 D cells, black, and later put out of business by Mag-Lite.

Anyway, almost invariably when I was interning with Adult Parole and Probation and went on an unannounced home visit, the PO and I'd walk up to the door, ring the doorbell, and hear the toilet flush before the door opened.

I agree with John that the crenelated "cookie cutter" bezel is hokey. A good flashlight is one of the few items one can still carry on a plane and it's tactical value is more in blinding than anything else. To dress one up as a weapon would betray ones intentions/capabilities and would certainly look bad in court (in the unlikely event one might wind up there). LED technology is not as bright as a gas-filled bulb or HID, but definitely more impact resistant. If one must have a striking bezel, GG&G makes an add-on.

http://www.gggaz.com/products/tid_inova-x5.php

Danny,
I thought I'd bring this thread up again because the FREE Surefire catalogue I ordered came today. It's very informative. About 100 pages, well illustrated and clearly written. You can send for it from their website, but I don't know about postage to Japan :confused:

Back