I want the truck to talk to the Ipod

Seriously.

I'm Christmas shopping and the recipient drives a 2006 Chevy Silverado and has a 20 GB Ipod. We want the Ipod to play on the factory sound system.

I'm aware of FM modulation, and while I sort of like the lack of a hard install, I am curious if there is an aftermarket "black box" that will let the Ipod interface with the digital factory radio. I'm also curious how much it costs, and if it needs to be professionally installed or if it's just a matter of plugging into a port on the console.

Thanks.

The guys on bimmerforums discuss this all the time. Since I am happy with the FM mod setup, I haven't paid much attention. I'll try to get you a link to a hardwired solution.

Sounds to me like he just wants to get the tunes straight to the radio with a wire and not have to mess with the wireless 'FM modulator' which might degrade the music quality.

My wife has her ipod adapter that plugs in thru the cassette deck.
Cost about $10 at best buy.
She returned the fm connector/adaptor for the hard wired cassette jobbie.
Works better too.

Of course YMMV and we are no audiophiles, but the sound system in my 00 Intrepid R/T doesn't totally suck.
:D

not sure how much help it will be, but there are some car stereos with a line-in connection at the back, which you can plug in to - have seen this on Alpine car stereos.

rgds

My wife has her ipod adapter that plugs in thru the cassette deck.
Cost about $10 at best buy.
She returned the fm connector/adaptor for the hard wired cassette jobbie.
Works better too.

Of course YMMV and we are no audiophiles, but the sound system in my 00 Intrepid R/T doesn't totally suck.
:D

that's the link in my post.

FM mod works great in remote areas. You'll get some "bleed through" in big cities though. Crutchfield.com has some hardwire interfaces that will deliver digital sound for you from your factory stereo. This will give you much better sound quality than an FM mod. You can get a docking station mounted in your console and it will charge the unit at the same time.

not sure how much help it will be, but there are some car stereos with a line-in connection at the back, which you can plug in to - have seen this on Alpine car stereos.

rgds

Our Honda Odyssey (not the same as the US model) has an AUX input socket in the centre console as part of the factory sound system. Works great. Used it for DVD layer for the kids in the back as well as the ipod.

You want one of these adapters to hard wire your IPOD into the factory stereo. It also gives you another couple auxilary inputs (satellite radio, etc). I put one of these on my Tundra and can at least cycle through the tracks using the steering wheel controls.

Here is the company that makes it.

http://www.usaspec.com/

Just look for the one for gm products.

Back