Photos I want to return a defective Bark River Bravo 1.25

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received my first bark river knife via courier a few hours ago which I purchased from DLTtrading. This is a Bark River Bravo 1.25 LT made with CPM Cruwear steel.

There are three defects in the knife which are unacceptable for a $260 price tag

The sharpening choil of the knife has been ground because the knife slipped while on the grinding belt causing a very uneven corner on one side of the knife

There is a hole in the epoxy at the back of the handle where the liner meets the micarta slab.

Lastly which I did not show in the video, there is a nick on the belly of the blade like touched hit a hard metal object and rolled the edge.

I bought this knife from DLTtrading and I want to return it because I am not going to accept this level of quality and finish for such an expensive item that I paid a lot of money for. I really like the design and looks of the knife so I am going to exchange this knife and not get a refund.
I have never done this before, so should I contact bark river or dlt to start the exchange procedure?

Last edited:
I've gotten to the point where I ask the dealer to look said knife over before it gets shipped to me. I had to send one back not long ago and had a dealer tell me he had six different knives of that brand I sent back, and they all had the same issues so I ended up with no knife from that brand. It wasn't a BR knife though. I'm sure you'll get a return or swap or maybe a different brand all together. Good Luck,

In my experience, DLT service is pretty good, so it shouldn't be a problem. I am have no affiliation nor conflict of interest with DLT whatsoever.

Next time my humble advice is to direct the request to the dealer first, before registering an account just to make a public post, which exert undue pressure on the dealer as if they won't honor it. I would much rather give the dealer the benefit of the doubt and let them take the initiative to sort it out first, then to rely on public pressure right from the start, which eventually everyone will have to post their problem here to expect service.

I just received my first bark river knife via courier a few hours ago which I purchased from DLTtrading. This is a Bark River Bravo 1.25 LT made with CPM Cruwear steel.

There are three defects in the knife which are unacceptable for a $260 price tag and I made a youtube video of it since I can't be bothered to upload pictures

The sharpening choil of the knife has been ground because the knife slipped while on the grinding belt causing a very uneven corner on one side of the knife

There is a hole in the epoxy at the back of the handle where the liner meets the micarta slab.

Lastly which I did not show in the video, there is a nick on the belly of the blade like touched hit a hard metal object and rolled the edge.

I bought this knife from DLTtrading and I want to return it because I am not going to accept this level of quality and finish for such an expensive item that I paid a lot of money for. I really like the design and looks of the knife so I am going to exchange this knife and not get a refund.
I have never done this before, so should I contact bark river or dlt to start the exchange procedure?
Don't look to hard at the replacement lol! Just said this in another thread but hit or miss QC/fit & finish is par for the course at brkt. I had two with cosmetic issues like yours. Add in the poor support top down with the blatant mislabeling of steels, and the company is not worth the risk, imo. Sold all mine and haven't looked back.

There's been no shortage of drama around Bark River and its owner but I would like to think that that DLT would do right by you. Given that their name got included in this thread it would proper for you to report back on their handling of this matter - especially should they do right by you.

Put differently, I'd hate to see a good retailer get besmirched just for being caught in the middle between a bad knife and an unhappy customer.

Disclosure: I have no affiliation, relationship or dealing(s) with BRK or DLT or, as someone else once said, "I have no dinosaur in this orgy."

You bought it from DLT not Bark River. Any manufacturer would refer you right back to the wholesaler who took title over the product. I’m sure DLT will make things right.

Q Quartzz Get in touch with the dealer you bought it from. First and only, as a start !
At this stage, do not harass the manufacturer or put out videos that highlight your gripes or post whining posts on any forum. It's counterproductive and against honest, current business practice. You are a client and you have a provider. Talk it out with him. Be concise, precise and polite. It will work out. No need to go public at this stage.

i thought things like that were normal at that price point. if it were $350-400, then i would not expect that. i am worried that the replacement will have other different fit and finish imperfections, but it might be worth a shot.

Totally legit to be annoyed that you have your money into something that you aren’t happy with because it wasn’t manufactured up to the specs that are claimed. I don’t get how anyone would be fine with getting that product in that shape, just because they didn’t spent a couple hundred more on it. Maybe look at Benchmade’s Leuko in 3v? Thanks for the heads up!

I agreed that it’s not exactly DLTs fault, but you’d also think they’d inspect that stuff upon receipt from Bark River. Their warehouse receiving dept ought to be inspecting these and either returning them themselves before they ever make it to a customer or requesting a partial refund and selling them as seconds. DLT is a fine retailer, though, and these things do slip through in any business.

It would been much more time efficient just to contact DLT rather than making a youtube video and opening a registered user BFs account . Good luck and for Petes sake , don't cut yourself.
I did contact DLT just after making this post. I wanted to make a video to get some opinions going and find out more about BR, their shady reputation on forums is nothing like their reputation on youtube reviews, and is quite a shocking discovery.

I will do that for the replacement knife. The problem is, this was the last one in stock, I don't know how they are going to send a replacement.
I've gotten to the point where I ask the dealer to look said knife over before it gets shipped to me. I had to send one back not long ago and had a dealer tell me he had six different knives of that brand I sent back, and they all had the same issues so I ended up with no knife from that brand. It wasn't a BR knife though. I'm sure you'll get a return or swap or maybe a different brand all together. Good Luck,

There's been no shortage of drama around Bark River and its owner but I would like to think that that DLT would do right by you. Given that their name got included in this thread it would proper for you to report back on their handling of this matter - especially should they do right by you.

Put differently, I'd hate to see a good retailer get besmirched just for being caught in the middle between a bad knife and an unhappy customer.

Disclosure: I have no affiliation, relationship or dealing(s) with BRK or DLT or, as someone else once said, "I have no dinosaur in this orgy."
I plan to make a follow up video and clear up the matter, on youtube and on this forum.

Don't look to hard at the replacement lol! Just said this in another thread but hit or miss QC/fit & finish is par for the course at brkt. I had two with cosmetic issues like yours. Add in the poor support top down with the blatant mislabeling of steels, and the company is not worth the risk, imo. Sold all mine and haven't looked back.
I watched a couple of Virtuovice and Dutch Buchcraft Knives videos on Youtube. They were what convinced me to buy my first Bark, I was dismayed when I found out that they mislabel their steels, I paid for fucking Cruwear not A2. I plan to do a rope cut test and find out the results, it should be close to the results obtained by Cedric in his cruwear video.

Totally legit to be annoyed that you have your money into something that you aren’t happy with because it wasn’t manufactured up to the specs that are claimed. I don’t get how anyone would be fine with getting that product in that shape, just because they didn’t spent a couple hundred more on it. Maybe look at Benchmade’s Leuko in 3v? Thanks for the heads up!

I agreed that it’s not exactly DLTs fault, but you’d also think they’d inspect that stuff upon receipt from Bark River. Their warehouse receiving dept ought to be inspecting these and either returning them themselves before they ever make it to a customer or requesting a partial refund and selling them as seconds. DLT is a fine retailer, though, and these things do slip through in any business.

I did look at the Leuku, but I wanted a knife around 5 inches in Cru-Wear so I passed the Leuku and Enzo trapper 115 up.

I totally agree, this kind of QC is deplorable for a premium priced knife and is both reprehensible and very irresponsible. Mike Stewart gave such a promising presentation in the factory tour video, judging by the defective item I received and the stories about mislabeled steels out there, it seems like most of it was a lie and Mike is a conniving business man.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back