1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

I want to tell you a story

Discussion in 'Emerson Knives' started by Ernest Emerson, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Leesan82

Leesan82

Feb 8, 2010
    Good read, thanks for the post Mr. E.

2. The Government

The Government

Aug 21, 2009
    Ernest,

"The proof is in the pudding." That is all you had to say:p.

3. Bryan J

Bryan J

Apr 16, 2010
    So who is the big-name company referenced in the story? Benchmade? Spyderco? Inquiring minds want to know!

4. Turbo Tension

Turbo Tension

May 6, 2010
    Marines? I'm guessing bar with a K before it..

5. tsuba

tsuba

Jun 12, 2008
    Dear Mr. Emerson,

I own only 4 of your knives... only 4 because they are very hard to find in Europe !
    So please, send us more knives, I want my super CQC8 satin finish and plain edge :rolleyes:

Kind regards.

P.S. want to see also: a waved persian, a fixed Kbit with edge on both sides and dont't forgot to put 3 more holes for the pocket clip... I LIKE TO DRAW IN REVERSE GRIP :p

6. Wunderbar

Wunderbar

May 2, 2003
    I'd guess Ontario or Kabar?

7. A.P.F.

A.P.F.

Mar 3, 2006
    They could have been Benchmade, who have some military contracts, but it is all pointless conjecture. The fact remains that an Emerson knife is built to do a job, it is not a bloody piano. If you want 'pretty', there are plenty of other manufacturers out there. If you want security and quality at a non-custom price, you go for an Emerson. If I want a wrench from a company that has my back, I'll buy a Snap-on. If I want a knife from a company that has my back, I'll buy an Emerson. It is really that simple.

8. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Pretty and tough are not mutually exclusive for a knife...you can have both.:)
    Hell, my first CQC-12 was pretty as well as tough. Perfectly centered blade, no gaps, quite nice.

9. A.P.F.

A.P.F.

Mar 3, 2006
    Well, truth be told, I appreciate the beauty of all my Emerson knives and I like them just as much as my Spyderco or Benchmade knives. They are all beautiful to me. :D

10. Daniel L

Daniel L

Nov 2, 1998
    Whilst I'd like my Emersons to be more nicely finished - less laser cutting marks, more flush G10 to liner fit - their ergonomics and "feel" is what sells me. I can live with minor cosmetics. I can't live with knives that don't feel right in my hands.

11. Dantegandalf

Dantegandalf

Jan 2, 2011
    knowing what i know...there are really only 2 big names with the military cold steel and benchmade, either way id still go with Emerson every time simply because the old adage you get what you pay for is truer than most people realize. personally i think lynn thompson is out of his mind but thats just me.

12. EricV

EricV Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Wait, So in your opinion there are only two big names, yet neither of them are Emerson...But somehow you are recommending Emersons?! Talk about a super confusing post....I'm totally lost, but I think I agree with you just the same, in that EKI = the best.

13. cp2u

cp2u

May 17, 2009
    Each of my Emerson's may have been prettier when I first got them but I use 'em, and sometimes abuse them and they are all beautiful to me. A La Griffe hangs around my neck every waking minute, while I try to keep my Persian and Collector's Bowie unmarred, but I wouldn't hesitate to stake my life on any Emerson I own.
    And there is no better looking user knife than the Commander.

14. drillsgt71

drillsgt71

Dec 1, 2010
    there is a reason I carry Emerson knives and Ernest didn't have to say it, I already knew that I trusted his knives.

15. Slider817

Slider817

Mar 26, 2010
    Thanks so much for the post. I have been a knife collector for a while and have only recently purchased an Emerson the Prestige Endevour(I've had a Benchmade CQC-7 for a while). And after reading your post and really thinking about how God forbid if I ever need to use my knife when my life or the life if my loved one is on the line, what type of blade I want on me, not saying that I will only be buying Emersons for now on. But I will definitely be getting some more. And you knives are the types of knives that I believe I can rely on.
    Thanks for the great products
    (wish I could get my hands on a Gentleman Jim though)

16. Marton

Marton

May 10, 2010
    :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing this Mr. Emerson.

17. dragonram7

dragonram7

Dec 14, 2006
    What lead me to Emerson's Knives. Was it luck or destiny. Maybe both. I found Emerson's through Benchmade (Specwar 975s) and I've never looked back. I do own other quality knives. My affinity to the Emerson brand is I have used them while on duty, as a Scout Master, and as a retired LEO. Never a failure. I stopped using the BM975s because one of my 5 boys wants it. It gave me an excuse to buy another Emerson. My greatest compliment to any manufacturer is: "I gave it to my son", because my sons will always get the best I have.

18. ben2002gsxr

ben2002gsxr

Nov 10, 2009
    my a-100 might not be the prettiest knife out there, but she takes a damn good beating at work. and functions flawlessly doing it...

19. GenKraid

GenKraid

Dec 24, 2005
    Well said, sir! And I thank you for the story. One question though, people use another knife company as a standard to which they compare your knives to? I thought that all knives were compared to Emersons as the standard!?