I was given a fire brick forge and a 7x14 Mini-lathe

I’m a super-novice maker. I have a 2x42 belt grinder and a few basic tools. I’ve been wanting to make my own refractory brick forge but a friend recently moved and gave me his. It’s made with about six-eight refractory bricks, some angle iron and long screws, and has a hole in the top for the propane torch, which he also gave me.

But he also gave me a very nice 7x14 mini lathe with all sorts of accessories. I never anticipated having a mini-lathe and I’m just wondering if it would be of any help to me as I begin my journey making fixed blade knives?

Yes, you'll find that mini-lathe to be extremely valuable. You'll wind up using it for things you never considered. My lathe and mill get used most every week, and sometimes several times/wk. VERY handy.

OOPs. I read - mini-mill, not mini-lathe. Mini lathes are good for turning handle blanks and things like pen turning.

Last edited:
I think a mill is generally more useful for work on knives, e.g., milling tang holes, drilling etc. The only knife components I can think of that you would make on a lathe are pins, folder parts (e.g., bushings) and maybe pommel nuts. If you are into making tools and jigs, I'm sure there are lots of uses for a lathe, e.g., shafts for contact wheels, small wheels for your grinder, knurled knobs, bushing lap etc.

If it will go fast enough its also handy for burnishing leather edges on your sheaths. Mine is full sized and will hit warp drive:

muzgGqR.jpg

QXBpcYu.jpg

I turned different size grooves in that rosewood turning block. It'll get an edge slick.

TBrLd8f.jpg

I bought a mini-lathe years ago and it has been VERY useful in making and adjusting pins, lanyard tube, screws, thumb studs, decorative insets. You will find a use for it.

Stacy, maybe I lack imagination, but it sounds like you are describing a mill more than a lathe...
Lathes can be used for milling, but you will need a milling attachment. It usually replaces your lathe compound, and then the end mill, drill bit, or whatever will go into the headstock via a chuck or collet.

You're obviously limited on setup size, but for things like guards and other smaller knife parts, it's actually just about perfect.

Back