I was going crazy .....

....trying to get my usual edge on my Ritter RSK in S30V.
I know I got it ONCE but haven't been able to since. :mad:
Then it failed to cut some pepper salami roll........
AND...
I got out my SAK Sentinel Clip Serrated....
AND....
ZZZZIIIPPPP............... SLICES !!!! :)
Why can't I remember?
Only THIS knife gives me fits on sharpening. :confused:

Wire edge. Try to place the edge 90 degrees against a 2X4s edge and draw it a few times. Try to pull off the wire edge. You need to break the edge off before it will cut properly. If it's super tough to break off really lightly do the above against a benchstone very lightly

Possibly, but that particular s30v blade resists a fine edge for some reason.
I can do vg10, 154cm, 420hc, and even m390.
But that puppy hates me.
I got it passable this afternoon and will try my strop tomorrow.

The weird thing is that it seems to work best with the coarsest edge that I would "refine" on the rest of my blades.
Go figger. Maybe it longs to be a saw. :D

I have the same problem with s30v. I have resharpened all kinds of other steel with no issues yet. But have never been able to bring the edge back to my spyderco. If you find a better way please let us know.

Boils down to :
  1. Diamond stones.
  2. Edge Pro Apex
Fairly coarse stones that are not diamond may abrade the alloy but to refine the edge many of us have found diamonds are the way to go for the finer grit edge finish.

Boils down to :
  1. Diamond stones.
  2. Edge Pro Apex
Fairly coarse stones that are not diamond may abrade the alloy but to refine the edge many of us have found diamonds are the way to go for the finer grit edge finish.

You are overkilling. Spyderco Sharpmaker or Lansky Sharpner should easily take care of S30v.

You are overkilling. Spyderco Sharpmaker or Lansky Sharpner should easily take care of S30v.
Provided you're not using the Arkansas stones that come standard with the Lansky and Smith's guided rod sharpeners?

(quote) "I was going crazy ...." (end quote)
So you arrived?
Was it a long or short trip?
:)

Last edited:
I find that S30V and S35VN tend to get lingering wire edge/foil burr.
Diamond stones work best to get rid of burrs from these steels in my experience.
Extra-fine diamond stone like DMT EEF works really nice to remove remaining small burrs/wire edge.
I don't own one but Sharpmaker ultrafine might work as well.

FWIW...... :oops:.... Those crazy SAKs are ...SHARP!
and easy to keep that way.

And it pisses me off. :D

Back