Off Topic I wish people would keep the sold price in their thread

When I started thinking about selling a substantial part of my collection, I subscribed to the Busse Exchange page, so I'd have my own record of what things were offered for.

Now every time someone starts a new thread on that forum, I get an email with the original post. The email has the full post, including pics and price, and the email doesn't change if the post is later edited.

So now I have a file of with the original posts for the last 250 for sale threads. It's not as convenient as being able to look up the prices on the exchange, and my it only goes back to when I subscribed, but at least Ihave something to refer to when trying to figure out what things should cost.

JohnTheTexican JohnTheTexican I've done the same. It is nice to see what something was priced at before a savage buys it in five minutes and the price becomes "sold." :)

Interestingly, some folks are so passionate about their ability to remove pricing with no remaining record that they will first submit the ad without the price. They then go in immediately after posting the ad and will edit the price into the ad body such that the price doesn't get emailed to those who receive email notifications. Rare but those that do it, do it every time. Seems to me a bit like covering the license plate on any car/bike photo. I'm not concerned about it - let someone come find me if they need to that badly.

Still, as they say, "You do you."

The best argument I can subscribe to is "changing the price to "sold" dissuades forumites from asking" about availability months-to-years afterward in a stale ad.
The argument I cannot subscribe to is "I want the seller to remove the price so I can immediately flip for 50% more" without a new forum buyer using my old price as a comp.

For the guy who doesn't want his wife to see... I would consider removing the price.

For the guy who's presence on the forum is a side-gig/business - and I have no problem or opinion with that activity any more than I have a problem with dealers like DLT or KSF as long as they buy a dealer membership - I'm not removing price.

I understand why it might theoretically be useful but as I've said before how can one be sure what the actual sale price was.

Also no one likes more rules.
insert meme about how SOME PEOPLE DO like more rules here

mod moves it to the appropriate political forum and slaps me on the wrist publicly

saved you guys some time.

A few of you hogs have mentioned "wrath of the spouse" as a reason for sellers to delete FS prices. Very bad OPSEC on you.

My wife has no idea Bladeforums.com even exists, and I plan to keep it that way! She also does not have the combos to my gun safes, FWIW....

Yeah, as was said already , click the "watch"
Tab , and select email alerts.

Last edited:
Oh, boy, we have had this discussion many times. I've been here since 2006. For at least half the time since most everyone kept their prices up. Then it flipped pretty quickly, and few left them. Probably new folk just modeling their behavior on what they saw happening. The public has spoken. So it goes.

I haven't sold in a while, but may be like JtT and unwind some of mine. I always left the asking price up, and always will.

Be the change you want to see.

Back