I wish there is a mid-sebenza

Not to crk. Seems to me they might know a bit about their own business model.
The problem with producing the ultimate knife is there is no where to go from there. Reeve can't make a mid size without cutting their own throats in the long run, their mid is a small seb since they have the mhandi.
I suspect a good knifemaker could regrind a seb down to 3-1/4 making a 400 dollar knife into a 500 dollar knife assuming the frame would still hide the tip.

I agree with the comments made earlier that a medium Sebenza would cannibalize sales of the small and large.

How about a small Zaan? 3" blade, 7.5" OAL. There you go.

I’d love one, but only if it comes in a more premium steel.
Nothing against S35VN, but it’s not exciting enough to buy at higher pricer IMHO, goven the current options in the market.

This subject has been discussed Several times on the CRK forum....It's not going to happen.
Almost all CRK guys and gals are satisfied with the large or small. I have and use both.

I agree with the comments made earlier that a medium Sebenza would cannibalize sales of the small and large.

An alternative way to look at it is it may keep some folks in a CRK instead of another brand that provides what the customer wants.

I'd actually love it if a small Zaan came in at 3.25". Which would make sense to me since the large is the longest bladed CRK folder. That'd be a great way for them to cover that blade length.

Two things can be true at once:

1. A medium sebenza would be a hit, and more than make up for any cannibalization of large and small sales.
  2. It’s not worth the huge amount of change to CRK: they sell every knife they can make now, and they’d sell every knife they could make then. Why bother?

A Mini or Small Zaan would be amazing. Thye would sell like crazy and I'd be first in line for one. Love my recently acquired Zaan, but it is a little big and heavy for me. Not getting rid of it though.

I continue to be surprised (not sure why after so long) at the failure of some folks to appreciate what goes into manufacturing a knife, particularly mass production. It is way more complicated and costly than some seem to comprehend.

I think they believe that you use the same line as was used for the older model, and then just "use the smaller blades" in it.

You really have to retool the entire setup for a new model, even if it is just a smaller existing model. It's like starting from scratch.

I tend to think the matter is pretty straightforward and I think CRK has been pretty up front about their reasons why they haven't done the coveted medium size, and why they haven't added new knife models. Their current production capacity currently can't meet the demand for the knife models they already offer. I'm sure they are slowly building up more capacity, but it makes sense to me that they wouldn't prioritize adding new models and sizes as those engineering and machining changes would be a much more significant undertaking and commitment of their resources than simply producing more of what they already make, the demand for which is currently above their capacity to meet. Makes solid sense business wise.

Hopefully as they continue to grow we'll see new sizes and models added. But I expect it to be a very slow process. That's how CRK does it. Precisely, purposefully, and yes, slowly. That's part of what makes them great, possibly because it always leaves us wanting more.

I've owned many large and small CRKs in past yrs. Now, I'm down to two Sebbies and I'm not carrying either one...
As the OP stated, the small is too small and the large is more than I need. CRK put out a survey several yrs ago, asking for reco's for a newer or revised model. I asked then for the mid-sized, just as I have several times in letters I wrote to the company. It's not happening. CRK seems to be happy.
My EDC is the Spyderco Slysz Bowie...and lately...adding the Keen/Laconico.
Both seem to fit the "mid-sized" version and are fine folders.

I feel the same way about every large/small folding knife pair I've had in hand (Rat1/2, ZT0450/0452, Delica/Endura).

I take it you are saying it is not too large for you, correct? In your wheelhouse? o_O

Yes, it's not too large for me, and has been suggested even a 4 inch model would be nice to see. I am not against a smaller knife. The 3.6 inch size is seen in several other manufacturers knives.

Truth be told I don't own any CRK folders at the moment(I do own CRK fixed blades), but I want 3 or 4 of their folders and will get them in 2019.

Back