I wonder how a Titanium or Inconel axe would be ya i know Titanium is light &Have a Merry Christmas

Hello,

Thank you for looking.

You see i used to have a shop and forge and i mainly did proto type work and Made scale Cannons. And i still have access to machines.

I had joined last month because of some hatches and Forrest axe i had got for a steal. And some how the pictures got lost.

And i had made some Knifes b4 more than a few when i was in the Service on the Ship me and the XO got in trouble for using all the O2 ;-(

But what's your thought on Inconel for a forest axe. And yes Titanium is light but i bet it would look cool because you can polish it and it never tarnishes'. It would be a novelty item.

If you have the time please take a look at the German Forrest axe and how come there's not that many out there and i did look over and over and just found 1 and it said 1853 and this one sure in the heck isn't that old by looking at the handle unless it had been replaced. The previous owner painted them Sliver.

Thanks Again And accuse my presentence

Have a Merry Christmas

What does the phrase mean below did i post something wrong or something ????

Thanks Austin

*If you have started threads in the PA, you're on "ignore"...sorry for the inconvenience *

What does the phrase mean below did i post something wrong or something ????

Thanks Austin

*If you have started threads in the PA, you're on "ignore"...sorry for the inconvenience *
No, it just means that if someone has started threads in the Political sub-forum of this site they are on my ignore list and I can't see their posts. It's not part of the post, thats my Signature that follows every post.

Mecha Mecha is our resident titanium expert, he has already done a few axes in exotic alloys...I'm sure he'll be along shortly to espouse the wonders of titanium;)

No, it just means that if someone has started threads in the Political sub-forum of this site they are on my ignore list and I can't see their posts. It's not part of the post, thats my Signature that follows every post.

Mecha Mecha is our resident titanium expert, he has already done a few axes in exotic alloys...I'm sure he'll be along shortly to espouse the wonders of titanium;)
Hi Okay i really don't care too much politics either I try to stay away from that kind of stuff because both parties make no sense. Thanks for letting me know i don't want to get warnings .

And hay do you know how i can post a profile picture on my info I'd like ot use this Picture of a Coehorn Mortar i made ;-) this one was a pool ball size one she was loud Thats a 1 Ball in there ;-)

665610_3887555872723_1782050167_o.jpg

Hi Okay i really don't care too much politics either I try to stay away from that kind of stuff because both parties make no sense. Thanks for letting me know i don't want to get warnings .

And hay do you know how i can post a profile picture on my info I'd like ot use this Picture of a Coehorn Mortar i made ;-) this one was a pool ball size one she was loud Thats a 1 Ball in there ;-)

665610_3887555872723_1782050167_o.jpg
You need a Gold membership to upload a custom avatar, then you just need to resize it small enough :thumbsup:

Hi and thanks for the info if i start to make any items i may do it but idk i'll try to make a Inconel forest axe i like the size of those like the Diamanti one i thought $40 bucks for all those items were a good deal the craftsman one actual sell well if they are polished nice thanks and Merry Christmas

If you're making this as a novelty item, you can make it out of whatever you want, as long as you don't try to present it as a 'fully functional' tool.

That being said, if you were going to try to make a functional titanium axe, hatchet, or tomahawk, you likely have to do some experimentation to determine a proper working grind for the alloy. Steel for axes is a known quantity, and has been around for a long time. Pretty much everything that can be done to make a steel axe has been done. A functional titanium axe is going to be a whole new ball game. Titanium in a block sized for an axe, hatchet, or hawk, will be lighter than steel, but will still have enough mass to be useful. But it's a relatively soft metal. You would probably be better off machining a tongue-and-groove, or some other form of attachment, and installing a carbon steel bit. Not sure if it would be worth the trouble.

Last edited:
I made a variety of "plate axes" out of titanium alloys last year, testing and trying things. The best one was the first one, a medium-sized, thin one that the axe subforum people agreed was more like an axe-shaped machete-like chopping tool, or a weapon, than a real axe. The bit edges are heat-treated to hold a nice edge. It was a strange tool, but actually quite useful.

Test video:

I made one enormous plate axe, just to see how it would act. Ti plate axes this big are not as useful or effective as the medium one:

I also made a variety of hatchet-sized versions, which I felt were too light and short to be optimal, but people liked them. Several were made with a welded bit of superior ti alloy, and heat-treated (the huge one above also had a welded bit):

m6bG0Uc.jpg

kwTmJbr.jpg

cqvZWZi.jpg

Right after heat treatment:

cnuJCCF.jpg

https://bladeforums.com/threads/layered-laminated-multi-alloy-titanium-blades.1661771/#post-19029867

In the future I will be going the route of a hafted axe head instead of the plate style, with welded bit, heat treated, using what I learned with the plate versions. With the right size, shape, and edge, it will make a fantastic and very useful axe.

This fellow Timothy Dyck made a standard-type titanium axe head, also. He likes to play with titanium and other strange metals. His processing of ti isn't optimal, metallurgically-speaking, but with a forgiving alloy like 6al4v, it's so resilient that it will still work. Especially since it's heavily-forged, which greatly improves 6al4v for blade use and also helps mitigate the problems created by overheating ti. His little axe head looks awesome. It also out-performs a similar steel version on chopping (splitting is unknown):

Last edited:
Never thought about just welding the bit to the Ti, excellent idea. I was actually thinking of something similar to the Kershaw composite blade process.

Never thought about just welding the bit to the Ti, excellent idea. I was actually thinking of something similar to the Kershaw composite blade process.

The bit is another ti alloy, of course, not steel. It's a hardenable alloy good for a blade, welded to a tougher but somewhat softer ti alloy body. Since the stuff that makes a good blade only comes in very limited dimensions, the head can be made of a common alloy like 6al4v and have a forged bit that does a better job.

Just an enthusiast, not a metallurgist. Would have thought steel would make a better bit, shows how much I know. Something like a Beta alloy, similar to what Mission used for their Ti knives? Makes sense, though. I guess if you're going to the trouble of making a Ti axe, you'd want as much of it in the mix as possible.

Mecha,it's tres cool to see you going ahead with all that Ti axe stuff,i remember rapping with you about it couple years ago.
I think you're doing Great,and really look forward to seeing what you'll do with a "real",as in 3D,axe.
I'd bet you'll produce a fine and interesting tool.

It also out-performs a similar steel version on chopping (splitting is unknown):

I like Tymothy Dyck a lot,he's a likeable(and plenty competent) spaz:)...But i can't take a "test" like that seriously,that's just not how it works:)...So i beg to differ with your assessment there,but i do believe Something can be done with Ti.

Good on you and him both to try the stuff.

Mecha,it's tres cool to see you going ahead with all that Ti axe stuff,i remember rapping with you about it couple years ago.
I think you're doing Great,and really look forward to seeing what you'll do with a "real",as in 3D,axe.
I'd bet you'll produce a fine and interesting tool.

I like Tymothy Dyck a lot,he's a likeable(and plenty competent) spaz:)...But i can't take a "test" like that seriously,that's just not how it works:)...So i beg to differ with your assessment there,but i do believe Something can be done with Ti.

Good on you and him both to try the stuff.

Thanks! The assessment was Dyck's assessment. In my opinion, a ti axe may be better for some things, and a steel better for others. Especially considering the huge variety of types and uses for an axe.

Just an enthusiast, not a metallurgist. Would have thought steel would make a better bit, shows how much I know. Something like a Beta alloy, similar to what Mission used for their Ti knives? Makes sense, though. I guess if you're going to the trouble of making a Ti axe, you'd want as much of it in the mix as possible.

Steel won't weld to ti without doing something drastic like explosion-bonding. Even if it did, I would prefer ti for the edge. Right alloy, right work and heat treatment, and it's fantastic.

Steel won't weld to ti without doing something drastic like explosion-bonding. Even if it did, I would prefer ti for the edge. Right alloy, right work and heat treatment, and it's fantastic.

Didn't think so, but I'm not a metallurgist, like I said. Thought maybe there was a new type of welding I wasn't aware of. I've heard that Ti was improving as a blade material, but haven't been paying as much attention lately. Good to see things are happening in that regard. Nice work, btw!

Didn't think so, but I'm not a metallurgist, like I said. Thought maybe there was a new type of welding I wasn't aware of. I've heard that Ti was improving as a blade material, but haven't been paying as much attention lately. Good to see things are happening in that regard. Nice work, btw!

The world of titanium metallurgy itself is actually getting worse, or I should say, less varieties, less development. All of the best alloys I've found for blades are remnants of old, discontinued, or rare alloys. Ones made when titanium alloys were still being explored. What I did was work on finding alloys, fabrication methods, and heat treatments that make a good ti blade, particularly a big one like a machete or sword.

I'm going to be doing a big write-up on the arc of titanium alloy development, how it has gone downhill, and why most currently-produced alloys are not that good for a blade compared to the more eccentric older alloys.

Eventually I'll have the capability to make small ingots of custom ti alloys for blades.

Now, THAT'S a very cool long term goal! Last I was really paying attention to Ti was probably in the mid-90s, and Mission was having reasonable success with Beta Ti alloy, but in truth, if you'll pardon the pun, that was kind of too mission-specific for my needs. Not an operator, just an enthusiast, so concentrated on more mainstream alloys, read: steel. Good on ya for keeping it going!

Back