I would like a Sifu please.

Mr. Taylor:

Just got a look at the Sifu pics on Rob Simonich's site. That knife is brilliant. I'll take one. How much are they and where do I send the money?

Can I get mine with just the index finger cutout please?

Thanks!

Steve Harvey

Harv,

I'm with you on that because I'm concerned that the grooves may not fit all size hands. But, Bob answered on the Simmonich thread that general comments of those who handled it are positive.

Oh, the next question is tip up or tip down. I know tip up with be a REAL REACH into the pocket to get my hand in position pull out and deploy the blade.

Then, again, the chances to carry this bad blade is minimal, except once a year trips to California.

sing

Steve and Sing

We find that 95% or better who have handled the Sifu liked the finger groves. Even Learch a 7'1" LA Cop who said it was a bit small for his hand but felt good. If you ever handled a Pocket Hobbit you would find that it's very positive. I can coat the knife and my hand in STP and slash and stab with no fear of losing my grip of sliding down on the blade.I only have one proto Sifu but it will do the same I am sure. We are working on a multi carry kydex rig for the knife. which will be inside or outside the pants and vertical and horizonal. and maybe a pocket clip. Being a micro manfacture we cant do what we want to do all the time. Expensive tooling and some of the high tech methods are not in our reach at this time so we do what we can with what we have.We are working on keeping the Sifu in the $179.95 price range, There is a lot of material in that puppy.

Bob Taylor

Some days its not worth chewing through the restraints and escaping.

Put me down for one. Texas law says bigger is better. (Unless its a Bowie) One less chunk of discretionary income for the quarter...
smile.gif
My votes would be for reversible carry clip (Tip up or down), and single finger cutout. The handle you show would be the one turnoff. The carnivore handle is the way to go.

Alan, try this for a pic.

http://www.simonichknives.com/os.htm

Sam.

Mr. Taylor,

I personally appreciate your efforts to keep the cost down as reasonable as possible.

My income is tightly budgeted to allow for the basic neccesities and the 'absolute' neccessities
wink.gif
. Besides, keeping the cost down will only promote me buying a second one.

Thanks for your fierce lunge into mega-land.
Ken

Mr. Taylor,

Thanks for the reply. You persuaded me. I'll take a groovy one. Lots of material indeed, and all of it tasty.

The SIFU pics are on Rob Simonich's site at:

www.simonichknives.com/os.htm

Harv

PS - I think my preference would be for a tip up Kydex belt holster.

[This message has been edited by Steve Harvey (edited 15 April 1999).]

Maybe I could be persuaded differently, but I would really prefer a clip as an option. The real advantage of a knife this size for me is being able to stick it in a pocket.

Jack

Can anyone tell me where to find further info on the Sifu? The search option isn't working for me and I haven't been able to find it maually.

Thanks
wink.gif

Same prob here as with kallisti...what is this knife made of...steel type..handle??
thanks

------------------
"I wouldn't mind you being inside my head if you weren't clearly so crazy."

Crazy idea:

What if, in addition to the hole in the blade where the thumbstud goes, a second hole was carefully machined into each blade positioned exactingly in relation to the thumbstud hole?

Why?

Because as an option, you could sell a piece of metal that would bolt onto the blade through those two holes and add an "Escalator style hump" as an optional accessory!

See what I mean here? If you don't want to do it yourself, you could license the concept to a custom maker such as Alan Folts who could machine up as many of these add-ons as people want. The key is, the two holes have got to be precisely places on every specimen...and if a customer does NOT use them, they'd still get the option to mount the thumbstud in two different locations depending on personal ergonomics.

Waddya think?

Jim March

I'd also like sa Sifu but VISA said not now
frown.gif

Anyway, FWIW, I prefer the Carnivour's simpler handle design for the Sifu to accomodate more grip style...

------------------
remember, we all have a point!

I would also like a Sifu. Will it have a pocket Clip? Preferrably tip up carry. The knife looks GREAT!

Mr. Taylor,

One point I want to verify about the SIFU blade is the the back swedge/false edge.

There has been no mention of it being sharp,
hopefully it will be clearly UNsharp for many of us in dagger-prohibited areas. I'm sure anyone who really wishes a sharpend back edge will find a way to make it happen.

Sorry if I'm being too paranoid about seemingly small, picky things, but in Texas, the SIFU will probably still have one foot on either side of the legal-line.
Despite being .1" under the 5.5" limit, if this measurement is from the tip to the first contact with the handle, there will be people(police,security) who will measure from the tip ALL the way down to the furthest corner where the tang enters the lowest point at the top of the handle, probably passing that .1" buffer and getting confiscated.

I just wanted to throw this at you while you guys are still in the development stages to consider. I do like the 5.4" length, is there a way to make that length more defined and not open to multiple interpretations?
I can see there are some Tex. members who will be carrying these, including me. I just don't want any one of us down here to have ours 'confiscated' into someone elses pocket(but I can't blame them for wanting it.)

Thanks,
Ken

ps. I second Jim's escalator spike option. With a handle 5 finger grooves long, I'm thinking mini-pickaxe!

[This message has been edited by KenN (edited 16 April 1999).]

Bob,

VERY nice looking knife, indeed! Love the length and curvatures of that blade. Would possibly like to get a couple of those bad boys but how about offering that knife with a choice of having finger grooves or just a standard handle without? I have other knives with finger grooves and cutouts and I don't prefer them. Not saying anything is wrong with them, just I don't care for them. Can or will you give the option of with or without when ordering? Also, must have a pocket clip attached with the blade tip down down, too, if possible! Price sounds fantastic !!!

One last question comes to mind, with that size of a blade, will the lock hold it firmly opened as well as closed? A lot of weight from that blade to support!

Mark

Man, that was fast, just got an email from someone asking me to explain why I don't care for finger grooves on a handle.

MY reason is that it limits you on the way you can hold the knife. The finger grooves get in the way when holding the knife a little different than normal, won't allow you to slide your hand up farther or downwards to change your grip. Again this is JUST my preference is all!

Mark

Congratulations Bob!

This SIFU looks like one badmotorscooter.

I want that false edge sharp, I'll take it to someone if necessary, the Back Cut would be nasty.

As for the finger grooves, I have a Pocket Hobbit and they are well done and should never be confused with the cheesey, flea-market edged apparatus out there.

The REKAT finger grooves are very nice and this is coming from someone who does not like to be told by his knife how it will be held. The REKAT P-Hobbit feels great in forward or reverse...

Great Stuff.

Jim's Escalator Hump idea is an interesting one too.

Vertical and Horizontal Kydex and a pocket clip that is easily removed is what I would like to see.

GREAT JOB BOB T.!!!

Specs on the Sifu
Like anyone that manufactures we can’t change everything like removing finger groves blade style etc. We use lasers CnC machines and now Berger Flat Grinders. Sorry what ya see is what ya get. Pat Crawford will be happy to make you a custom Sifu and we will give Pat, The Engineering, cads and any help he needs in making it. Just expect a $500.00 price.
Blade length from the nearest point of the handle to tip 5.4 inches (stretch it to what Jim?)
It will be .120 thick ATS-34 and yes we know its pushing the edge of the envelope but we are tooled up for that size unless you use it as a pry bar it shouldn’t break with our heat treat.
The extra finger groove allows multi positioning if you want extra reach in fore grip use the back ones or move way up and choke up and use the front it feels great in fore and reverse grip. One thing we do is pay attention to the bio mechanics and design all our handles with a strong sure grip in mind. The weakest part of the knife is your hand that holds it. As for consulting with a MA I'm the in-house one, if we count boxing 40 years and 7 styles.
The false edge is which will be easy to sharpen its ground down to down to .030 (same as the Pocket Hobbit) at that thickness it will do a nasty back cut and be legal still (you can’t have everything)
We are looking at a multi carry Kydex sheath inside the pants and belt carry along with a tip up pocket clip (on the but end of the knife) That will allow for a wide vanity or carry options. Detachable Wheels with para cord pull string optional.
We should have a final Prototype and test run of 10 before we trudge onward in about three weeks . These will be Hand Ground by Bob Brothers and we will test the engineering and fine tune before making a 200 knife short run. I have Spark on the list so he can post pics of the final design.
We have changed some of the geometry of the Rolling Lock and it appears to be 35% stronger than a Pioneer (there is more tange to work with) if fact follows theory we should be in the 783 pound range 2.4 inches from the pivot. We will have this one tested extensively. That's a lot of blade out there.

Bob Taylor

Some days it’s not worth chewing through the restraints and escaping

Don't forget, if you want to be on our advance list of Sifu buyers, you MUST send an email to sifu@bladeforums.com with your name, so that we can contact you back when the time comes.

So far, we have about 30 takers, and we need a minimum of 50 for this order.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com

Insert witty quip here

Back