I would love to have Opinel in D2 steel...

Are there any Opinel knives in D2 or s30v ,id love to have one of those,or the only way is a blade made by custom knifemaker and fit in opinel handle?With Opinel blade geometry and high carbide steels like d2 or s30v it would be cutting and slicing monster.

Closest I've seen is the collector knives is their sodbuster variant, the plow. I think there's another order coming out with better F&F at a higher price since they sold so well before.

I'm making the assumption here that the opinel blade shape, which isn't far from a sodbuster, is a reasonable leap to the plow. The lack of a spring would be something this completely misses and the overall simplicity and cheap price of the opinel.

I also don't hate this idea. It makes me think I could re-purpose some blades that came off from some traditionals I've had where the bone cracked and started coming off so I took the blades off thinking of doing something with them eventually since I loved the blade shape.

I seriously doubt that Opinel will ever even consider using alloys like D2. They are in the business of making affordable knives for working people - not expensive custom knives.

D2 is cheap steel and available anywhere.Putting d2blade in same handle wouldnt make it custom but affordable working cutting machine.They have opibels with horn handle and different kinds of wood so they should have at least one option with something like s30v on high end models or at least d2.d2 would be cutting machine in this profile of blade and wouldnt cost much more than regular ones.

Last edited:
Ill try to find a custom maker to make me a blade in d2 for no10 first and try it out.D2cuts for long time with toothy edge perfect for meat ,and other types of food.S30v is also a steel I enjoy using when cutting meat or rope as it is really toothy and has that extra bite especially when finished on dmt stone or norton medium.

Opinel is kind of the embodiment of elegant simplicity, economy and value for the money. They're easy to manufacture, easy to maintain and easy to resharpen when they need it, using simple sharpening media. They've got a good thing going and they're selling by the millions worldwide, with the recipe they've already got. It'd be difficult for them to keep that up if they had to retool for specialty steels, which would be much more expensive to grind and work into shape.

The cost of the raw steel isn't so much the issue, but increased costs of stamping out and grinding wear-resistant tool steel blades is the bigger factor. It's the main reason Buck Knives transitioned away from using 440C back in the day, to something that was easier (on the tooling) to stamp out and grind in a cost-efficient manner; that was 425M, then 420HC later on. [ Edited to add: It turns out now, the traditional maker GEC (Great Eastern Cutlery) is also apparently considering something less wear-resistant than 440C in it's stainless offerings, for precisely the same reason. ]

I wouldn't knock any knife/steel enthusiast for doing the customizing on their own, with a custom blade of their own choice. But there's little to be gained by Opinel themselves, in trying to fix or improve something that's time-proven and really doesn't need fixing, for the sake of what would be a niche-market enterprise.

There's always a chance Opinel, someday, could start a 'Custom Shop' operation like Buck did, offering special handle materials and premium steel options. But I'm certain those knives would be sold at prices a few multiples higher than what they currently sell for about $15 apiece, in their No. 08 size.

Last edited:
If a custom maker starts to do some high-end steel blades to replace current models on the same handle. It would sell.

But on the other hand Opinel could subcontract a maker already specialized in that kind of steel and get some good prize And only have to mount the blades on the handles.

Probably ending up able to sell D2 blades the same price as the stainless ones. Even if D2 steel comes in a wide range of price a KG depending on purpose and some requires Vacuum heat treat to achieve high hardness a supplier already installed for these kind of operations would be able to put out high-end economic replacements blades for a relatively low price.

Making a iconic knife.... Godly... Next... VG10, 3V, Cruwear... A #10 in 4V would be insane.... :D

Are there any Opinel knives in D2 or s30v ,id love to have one of those,or the only way is a blade made by custom knifemaker and fit in opinel handle?With Opinel blade geometry and high carbide steels like d2 or s30v it would be cutting and slicing monster.

I could get you one in M390 or any other steel.

Can you send me in pm what the price would be?Thx
D2 is not expensive but is cutting machine lol....that combined with plastic handle and current geometry would make excellent blade for meat-wild game processing-skinning.Toothy d2 sharpened on sil carbide stone or any dmt stone has that special touch

Back