1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

ICCE Show

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by jjtjr, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    It had nothing to do with Geography, I think the panel of Judges were different....

The MS Dagger was said to have an infinitesimal anomaly along the very edge that I wasn't able to discern but that's just me.

2. Dawkind

Apr 3, 2000
    His MS Dagger has very deep, 'conventional flutes' with silver-wire inlaid....it's the 4th picture of his table, the other dagger is from France.

[​IMG]

Don Hanson III likes this.
  3. jjtjr

jjtjr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2001
    jdm61 wrote:

"What would your chances be of passing the MS judging today if you showed up with a dagger with a 300 layer random pattern blade?"

Joe, I found this on the ABS Master Smith Testing link:

"The ABS Board of Directors voted at the June 2009 Board Meeting in Atlanta to exclude the "random pattern" as a Damascus pattern used for the Master Smith dagger blade."

4. Dawkind

Apr 3, 2000
    It's Mosaic....bad picture, I edited the original just to show the dagger.

It's a fantastic piece, there will be Professional Pictures of his knives that I'll be sure to get a hold of and post when they're ready.

5. Allen Newberry

Allen Newberry

Jan 10, 2007
    I was happy to be able to become a Journeyman Smith along with fellow Arkansas smith James Carlyle at the show. Definitely something that I had been wanting to do for a long time.

Don Hanson III and Lorien like this.
  6. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    Ah. Nevermind. ;)

7. jdm61

Aug 12, 2005
    Well, that answers my question. ;)

8. Logan Pearce

Logan Pearce Awesome Sauce Smith (A.S.S) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 21, 2012
    I definitely don't think I saw the same show as you guys. You know what they say though, I'm always fashionably late. :poop:

Seriously, congrats to Allen and James for getting their JS stamp! Even more so that James won the JS award for best submitted JS knife, as I understand it.

Kyle took the situation amazingly, I thought. He did talk at length with Greg Neely about the testing and everything. He said he definitely plans on being there again next year to re-test. Glad he didn't get discouraged.

coldsteelburns and Dawkind like this.
  9. Dawkind

Apr 3, 2000
    Sorry to have missed you... I came solely as a Spectator as the Vest Pocket Fighter from Kyle was a piece that was ordered last March...the little piece was frosting on the proverbial cake. I saw a number of tables with 'Sold Out' signs so I thought it was going well, sorry to hear that.

AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO LOCAL ADVERTISING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There were 200 people just across the street from the hotel, in the fountain area/park for both days I was there, that had no idea there was a knife show right across the street. :(

Don Hanson III and Logan Pearce like this.
  10. Logan Pearce

Logan Pearce Awesome Sauce Smith (A.S.S) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 21, 2012
    No worries! I was only a spectator as well. I did hear some people sold out. Just most of the pictures I saw suggested exactly what you said. I know that I was there at a bad time, so I can't be negative. Plus I might get my birthday taken away if I do. :D

Dawkind likes this.
  11. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    I had a great time. Some awesome knives, many sold within the first couple of hours. I bought a Zeiba Mini S1, very pleased with the knife and the price. His work is economical for the quality. It has been in my pocket ever since. His blade shape is a lot more of a utility knife than one would expect and the overall design is smooth to the hand and good looking...don't buy no ugly knife :)

If you love bowies, hunters and ABS knives you'd be in hog heaven. Lots of slipjoint choices ...no Tony Bose this year. Decent variety of tactical knives. Several with kitchen knives. A little less "far out" blades. Some surprisingly affordable knives. My only disappointment was a few makers who do installations with the knife incorporated into an overall piece of art were not there this time.

They had show T-Shirts discounted to $10 Whooohooo :) Met lots of nice people. Sorry I cannot give pictures and specifics; to me it's more fun to see the show than photograph it and I have a poor memory for names.

Logan Pearce and Dawkind like this.
  12. Don Hanson III

Don Hanson III KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2002
    What day were you there? Sunday don't count. ;)

Logan Pearce likes this.
  13. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    I wanted to be there. By the time I'd made a bid (in July), there were TWO photographers involved: Caleb Royer and Chuck Ward, who were already assigned. I'm told they were in almost adjoining rooms? Awkward...... :confused:

More news from the Guild side of the room? (Besides my homie Zieba ;)) Good choice BS. We need to meet.

I would have stayed a few days extra just to hang out with Dudley and talk cars.... :thumbsup:

14. Don Hanson III

Don Hanson III KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2002
    Speaking of the MS testing, I don't think I'd put myself through that again.

Dawkind likes this.
  15. Dawkind

Apr 3, 2000
    That would've been GREAT buddy! Hope that you are able to get set-up for a show...there was plenty of incredible knives to photograph. I started to Winterize my hotrod and C10 yesterday....always kinda sad to get them ready to put up.

The Guild was well represented and there were many fine Makers and examples of their work, a well rounded selection for a Collector of Knives, about any kind or style. Since it's much easier to navigate than Blade, and considering the diverse display of Makers and Cutlery, it's a fine show for old lazy guys 'Floor Walking'.........like me and my buddy Don. :D

Don Hanson III likes this.
  16. jdm61

Aug 12, 2005
    Once you get to a certain age, when Blade comes along, you start thinking about where you might be able rent an electric wheelchair with a cow catcher on the front. ;)

Dawkind likes this.
  17. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Regarding MS (or JS) testing: Can the knives which passed be resubmitted? Sounds arduous to have to make all five once again. I dunno. Real question.

Dawkind likes this.
  18. v8r

v8r

Mar 6, 2009
    Joe, so they aren't looking at fit and finish? They are looking for dare I say " cookie cutter" knives.
    I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to wrap my mind around what the ABS is looking for.

19. Tad Lynch

Tad Lynch

Nov 14, 2006
    It's all about fit and finish. I'd say overall design has very little to do with it. Things have to be centered, balanced, fit, and finished to a certain level.

Yes, you can retest a knife. Sam did it this year with one from the previous yrs testing.

Each judge gives you a card with critiques written on it, if they have points to make.

So in theory, if a knife is passed one judging, but they fail others... feedback is given and a maker should be able to submit it again safely.

Tad

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Dawkind likes this.
  20. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Thanks for the clarification, Tad. Got it!

Dawkind likes this.