ICCE Show

I hated this for Kyle! I'm not sure why they would pass in Atlanta but not Kansas City. Isn't it pass/fail no matter the geography?
These are all beautiful knives, the dagger isn't out of the mainstream and it is beautifully fluted. If I'm not mistaken they had no issues with the dagger. A lot of time and effort goes into producing "Master Smith Quality Knives".

It had nothing to do with Geography, I think the panel of Judges were different....

The MS Dagger was said to have an infinitesimal anomaly along the very edge that I wasn't able to discern but that's just me.

We occasionally see MS daggers that vary a bit from the "standard" type and I really like that, but I may not be in the majority. I wonder if this dagger was docked, perhaps unconsciously, because it doesn't appear to have a "true" fluted handle in the coventional sense? The one "off script" dagger that I remember passing was Sean McIntyre's in 2008. IIRC, it had straight flutes and a mid handle spacer, but still had deep flutes with wire inlayed on the high ridges.

His MS Dagger has very deep, 'conventional flutes' with silver-wire inlaid....it's the 4th picture of his table, the other dagger is from France.

standard.jpg

jdm61 wrote:

"What would your chances be of passing the MS judging today if you showed up with a dagger with a 300 layer random pattern blade?"

Joe, I found this on the ABS Master Smith Testing link:

"The ABS Board of Directors voted at the June 2009 Board Meeting in Atlanta to exclude the "random pattern" as a Damascus pattern used for the Master Smith dagger blade."

It's Mosaic....bad picture, I edited the original just to show the dagger.

It's a fantastic piece, there will be Professional Pictures of his knives that I'll be sure to get a hold of and post when they're ready.

Well, that answers my question. ;)

jdm61 wrote:

"What would your chances be of passing the MS judging today if you showed up with a dagger with a 300 layer random pattern blade?"

Joe, I found this on the ABS Master Smith Testing link:

"The ABS Board of Directors voted at the June 2009 Board Meeting in Atlanta to exclude the "random pattern" as a Damascus pattern used for the Master Smith dagger blade."

I definitely don't think I saw the same show as you guys. You know what they say though, I'm always fashionably late. :poop:

Seriously, congrats to Allen and James for getting their JS stamp! Even more so that James won the JS award for best submitted JS knife, as I understand it.

Kyle took the situation amazingly, I thought. He did talk at length with Greg Neely about the testing and everything. He said he definitely plans on being there again next year to re-test. Glad he didn't get discouraged.

I definitely don't think I saw the same show as you guys. You know what they say though, I'm always fashionably late. :poop:

Seriously, congrats to Allen and James for getting their JS stamp! Even more so that James won the JS award for best submitted JS knife, as I understand it.

Kyle took the situation amazingly, I thought. He did talk at length with Greg Neely about the testing and everything. He said he definitely plans on being there again next year to re-test. Glad he didn't get discouraged.

Sorry to have missed you... I came solely as a Spectator as the Vest Pocket Fighter from Kyle was a piece that was ordered last March...the little piece was frosting on the proverbial cake. I saw a number of tables with 'Sold Out' signs so I thought it was going well, sorry to hear that.

AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO LOCAL ADVERTISING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There were 200 people just across the street from the hotel, in the fountain area/park for both days I was there, that had no idea there was a knife show right across the street. :(

No worries! I was only a spectator as well. I did hear some people sold out. Just most of the pictures I saw suggested exactly what you said. I know that I was there at a bad time, so I can't be negative. Plus I might get my birthday taken away if I do. :D

I had a great time. Some awesome knives, many sold within the first couple of hours. I bought a Zeiba Mini S1, very pleased with the knife and the price. His work is economical for the quality. It has been in my pocket ever since. His blade shape is a lot more of a utility knife than one would expect and the overall design is smooth to the hand and good looking...don't buy no ugly knife :)

If you love bowies, hunters and ABS knives you'd be in hog heaven. Lots of slipjoint choices ...no Tony Bose this year. Decent variety of tactical knives. Several with kitchen knives. A little less "far out" blades. Some surprisingly affordable knives. My only disappointment was a few makers who do installations with the knife incorporated into an overall piece of art were not there this time.

They had show T-Shirts discounted to $10 Whooohooo :) Met lots of nice people. Sorry I cannot give pictures and specifics; to me it's more fun to see the show than photograph it and I have a poor memory for names.

What day were you there? Sunday don't count. ;)

I wanted to be there. By the time I'd made a bid (in July), there were TWO photographers involved: Caleb Royer and Chuck Ward, who were already assigned. I'm told they were in almost adjoining rooms? Awkward...... :confused:

More news from the Guild side of the room? (Besides my homie Zieba ;)) Good choice BS. We need to meet.

I would have stayed a few days extra just to hang out with Dudley and talk cars.... :thumbsup:

I would have stayed a few days extra just to hang out with Dudley and talk cars.... :thumbsup:

That would've been GREAT buddy! Hope that you are able to get set-up for a show...there was plenty of incredible knives to photograph. I started to Winterize my hotrod and C10 yesterday....always kinda sad to get them ready to put up.

The Guild was well represented and there were many fine Makers and examples of their work, a well rounded selection for a Collector of Knives, about any kind or style. Since it's much easier to navigate than Blade, and considering the diverse display of Makers and Cutlery, it's a fine show for old lazy guys 'Floor Walking'.........like me and my buddy Don. :D

Since it's much easier to navigate than Blade, and considering the diverse display of Makers and Cutlery, it's a fine show for old lazy guys 'Floor Walking'.........like me and my buddy Don. :D
Once you get to a certain age, when Blade comes along, you start thinking about where you might be able rent an electric wheelchair with a cow catcher on the front. ;)

Regarding MS (or JS) testing: Can the knives which passed be resubmitted? Sounds arduous to have to make all five once again. I dunno. Real question.

Time and time again we see great makers doing knives for there MS test that have to much artistic flair and dare I say personality

I'm sure Kyles knives were incredible but the abs judges are looking for simple straight and clean and that's all. If the guard has a twist etc even if it flowing and done on purpose if it can be mistrude as being off even though it feels right etc it can make the knife fail. I don't know what the issues were but I'm sure it was something along those lines

Beautiful knives and I'm sure he will push through

Joe, so they aren't looking at fit and finish? They are looking for dare I say " cookie cutter" knives.
I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just trying to wrap my mind around what the ABS is looking for.

It's all about fit and finish. I'd say overall design has very little to do with it. Things have to be centered, balanced, fit, and finished to a certain level.

Yes, you can retest a knife. Sam did it this year with one from the previous yrs testing.

Each judge gives you a card with critiques written on it, if they have points to make.

So in theory, if a knife is passed one judging, but they fail others... feedback is given and a maker should be able to submit it again safely.

Tad

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification, Tad. Got it!

Back