Ice axes - any interest here?

What a great saw, love the code word and price too! I'LL take 1 HOCK for sure!!

That crescent saw is remarkably expensive at $18 back in 1912, which according to the CPI Inflation Calculator is equivalent to about $450 today. In comparison, the regular Ice Saws were priced around $5 in the catalog, which is equivalent to about $125 today.

content

That crescent saw is remarkably expensive at $18 back in 1912, which according to the CPI Inflation Calculator is equivalent to about $450 today. In comparison, the regular Ice Saws were priced around $5 in the catalog, which is equivalent to about $125 today.
The cost then and now due to inflation always occurs to me but that is extraordinary.
Leads me to believe, possibly only the best skilled and merited men would operate the big equipment and specialty tools. Ie; shipping port crane, skyscraper building crane, truck drivers, excavator operators and the like.
I doubt the saw was ready to the first available man, I would think that only a select group were pulled from when the task was needed...I could be completely wrong though

Thanks Steve

I should post pictures of my ice tongs.

Let see those tongs
How big do the tongs expand, for what size block and purpose to pick up or shuffle? Really cool industry with special tools adapted and invented for.

These'd be considered 'make work' programs by today's standards but local enterprises did keep anyone and everyone, that was able and willing to work, busy back then. Whole industries became extinct when electricity (hello refrigeration) and gas-powered engines came into use and yet I've never heard of anyone (that lived through that time) lament their loss. Not having to use the outhouse plus having running water and instant lighting was not met with scepticism either nor was not having to harness up the horse and carriage just to head out to the post office or get a newspaper. The two brother WWI vets that farmed behind me had no electricity and maintained an ice house right up until the late 1960s. They sawed their ice blocks out of the Rideau River (directly across the road from the farm) and hauled them on a stone boat (freight sleigh) with one of their draft horses. It was a real treat for us kids to be allowed into the small windowless building next to the farmhouse during an especially hot summer's day. It was overly cool in there with all the damp sawdust and we were usually happy to get out of there after about 5 minutes.

Last edited:
^^^^^

Love stories like that. Thanks, 300Six.
You're welcome. The entire Leo and Dennis Bergin farm property is now named "Country Place", and is a ritzy suburb of lavish houses. I drive a school bus through there now and have gone out of my way to explain to the youngsters that board what the place once was, and what it meant to me. None of these 'helicoptered parent' current generation kids have even seen the lovely little creek that flows through there because the City fenced it and the absence of cows (over the past 50 years) browsing the pasture ground on either sides have allowed that stream corridor to grow into an impenetrable jungle.

I just got this STAATSBURG ice axe.

Total head length = 13 1/2"
Front of eye to blade edge = 7 1/2"
Widest part of blade = 2 3/4"
Handle length = 21"
Total weight is about four pounds.

"History of Staatsburg Tool Corp."

"The business that became Staatsburg Tool Corp. was located in the New York village of the same name, on the Hudson River. It was owned and operated by 4 generations of the Bodenstein family. Their specialty was ice tools, but as the demand for those disappeared, they began making cement tools.

"John H. Bodenstein (1823-1875), a native of Germany, made ice tools in Staatsburg from 1858 to 1875. After his death, sons John George Bodenstein (1850-1935) and Henry Bodenstein (c. 1852-1934) ran the business as J.G. Bodenstein & Brother through at least 1892. The partnership was dissolved in the 1890s, and John G. continued as J.G. Bodenstein & Co. In 1920 they were also using Staatsburg Ice Tool Works. By 1936, the name was Staatsburg Tool Corp.

John George Bodenstein Jr. (1884-1965) continued the business until his retirement in 1957, when his nephew George N. Bodenstein (1904-1985) took it over. According to an ad in "Hardware Age" in 1970, Staatsburg Tool Corp made cement and plaster tools and a scaling hammer. The company's buildings and all equipment were sold at auction 14 July, 1984. The last mailing address was in nearby Sharon, CT. The New York corporation was dissolved in 1995."

"Employee Cecil Parker, Bodenstein Ice Tool factory, 1890-1900"
http://trowelcollector.blogspot.com/2015/09/history-of-staatsburg-tool-corp.html

Rhinebeck NY Gazette 1977:
"There was wealth in river ice"
"George Bodenstein of Staatsburg knows about ice harvesting, but says even he couldn't hazard a guess as to how many houses there were.

Bodenstein's great-grandfather founded J.G. Bodenstein and Company in Staatsburg in 1868. The company soon changed its name to Staatsburg Ice Tool Works and became, along with Gifford Wood's company in Hudson, the biggest manufacturer of tools for harvesting ice in the Hudson Valley.

The company has stayed in the family ever since, although Bodenstein said it stopped manufacturing ice harvesting implements in 1956 and has changed its name to the Staatsburg Tool Corporation."
http://fultonhistory.com/Newspaper ...tte 1977/Rhinebeck NY Gazette 1977 - 0808.pdf

Catalog scans:

I did not save the source for the above catalog pages. Also, I don't think that there was a date for them.

Bob

Handle length = 21"

"The business that became Staatsburg Tool Corp. was located in the New York village of the same name, on the Hudson River. It was owned and operated by 4 generations of the Bodenstein family. Their specialty was ice tools, but as the demand for those disappeared, they began making cement tools.

"John H. Bodenstein (1823-1875), a native of Germany, made ice tools in Staatsburg from 1858 to 1875. After his death, sons John George Bodenstein (1850-1935) and Henry Bodenstein (c. 1852-1934) ran the business as J.G. Bodenstein & Brother through at least 1892. The partnership was dissolved in the 1890s, and John G. continued as J.G. Bodenstein & Co. In 1920 they were also using Staatsburg Ice Tool Works. By 1936, the name was Staatsburg Tool Corp.

John George Bodenstein Jr. (1884-1965) continued the business until his retirement in 1957, when his nephew George N. Bodenstein (1904-1985) took it over. According to an ad in "Hardware Age" in 1970, Staatsburg Tool Corp made cement and plaster tools and a scaling hammer. The company's buildings and all equipment were sold at auction 14 July, 1984. The last mailing address was in nearby Sharon, CT. The New York corporation was dissolved in 1995."

http://trowelcollector.blogspot.com/2015/09/history-of-staatsburg-tool-corp.html

Rhinebeck NY Gazette 1977:
"There was wealth in river ice"
"George Bodenstein of Staatsburg knows about ice harvesting, but says even he couldn't hazard a guess as to how many houses there were.

Bodenstein's great-grandfather founded J.G. Bodenstein and Company in Staatsburg in 1868. The company soon changed its name to Staatsburg Ice Tool Works and became, along with Gifford Wood's company in Hudson, the biggest manufacturer of tools for harvesting ice in the Hudson Valley.

The company has stayed in the family ever since, although Bodenstein said it stopped manufacturing ice harvesting implements in 1956 and has changed its name to the Staatsburg Tool Corporation."
http://fultonhistory.com/Newspaper 18/Rhinebeck NY Gazette/Rhinebeck NY Gazette 1977/Rhinebeck NY Gazette 1977 - 0808.pdf

Catalog scans:

I did not save the source for the above catalog pages. Also, I don't think that there was a date for them.

Bob

That's a great example of an ice axe, great condition.
Very impressive information regarding the company and history. Really neat the last known mailing address ended in CT.

Having a booming ice industry here even foundations of three large ice houses remained when I was a kid, I have been looking locally and feel, I will find one eventually.
Sadly the summer cottages that scattered the shores have all, but a small few, been transformed or simply demolished to build mini mansions.
It's sad.

Handle length = 21"

I am equally curious as I am humored by the code word descriptives used for the ice industry harvesting tools.
More than one brochure or purchasing order we have seen uses the code words.

...I did not save the source for the above catalog pages. Also, I don't think that there was a date for them.

Bob

This site might be the source for those catalog pages:
http://www.pbase.com/dowleyk/staatsburg_tool
Some pages from that site:

154644681.8QwsTH1D.jpg

154644682.HxUkspKp.jpg

154644683.2DBJS2PC.jpg

154644699.QEvKPOG0.jpg

154644700.1FQvLDsD.jpg

There's another site, Ice Box Memories, that has some photos of catalog covers, including these ones:

JGBodenstein_1911-12.jpg

Staatsburg_No102.jpg

Note that the 1911-1912 catalog cover doesn't include the name "Staatsburg Ice Tool Works", but the undated catalog 102 uses it.

I would like to order one each...
#311 Oracle
#324 Organ
...oh man just order me one of everything at those prices...please don't tell me today's costs LOL!!

Dont forget the most important part: Founded by the Dutch ;) Or at least named by....
"Staatsburg was part of the Pawling-Staats land patent, one of many granted by the English colonial government in the 1690s with the intention of encouraging more colonials to settle in the sparsely populated Hudson Valley. The original patent was made to Henry Pawling.[2]Subsequently, a large portion of the patent was purchased by Dr. Samuel Staats, a surgeon of Dutch origins who resided in New York City.[3]He and Dirck Vanderburgh bought it for 130 pounds from Pawling's widow. As a result of the combination of their names the area came to be known as "Staatsburgh".[4] The concluding "h" in the name appears to have been dropped in 1890 as part of the United States Board on Geographic Names' standardization efforts.[5]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staatsburg,_New_York

Bob

"Staatsburg was part of the Pawling-Staats land patent, one of many granted by the English colonial government in the 1690s with the intention of encouraging more colonials to settle in the sparsely populated Hudson Valley. The original patent was made to Henry Pawling.[2]Subsequently, a large portion of the patent was purchased by Dr. Samuel Staats, a surgeon of Dutch origins who resided in New York City.[3]He and Dirck Vanderburgh bought it for 130 pounds from Pawling's widow. As a result of the combination of their names the area came to be known as "Staatsburgh".[4] The concluding "h" in the name appears to have been dropped in 1890 as part of the United States Board on Geographic Names' standardization efforts.[5]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staatsburg,_New_York

Bob

You just took it to the next level.
Excellent and Thank You Bob.

Locked in and ready for more.

I am equally curious as I am humored by the code word descriptives used for the ice industry harvesting tools.
More than one brochure or purchasing order we have seen uses the code words.

That's for the telegraph, the way order were sent back to the factories. Telegraph senders were charged per character sent. As a result many industries developed code words for their products to reduce telegraph charges. Today we reduce the size of text and images files for the same reason.

That's for the telegraph, the way order were sent back to the factories. Telegraph senders were charged per character sent. As a result many industries developed code words for their products to reduce telegraph charges. Today we reduce the size of text and images files for the same reason.

Thanks SquarePeg

That must have made the telegraph operators smile each time they sent and received those orders...I know it would make me smile each time.

Back