1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 12 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Himalayan Imports Sirupati Khukuri!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Himalayan Imports Sirupati Khukuri, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, March 23; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Ice Climbing Axe: Maker?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by sa1111, Jun 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. sa1111

sa1111

Sep 9, 2016
    Picked this old ice climbing axe up at an auction, and I cannot make head or tail of the maker's stamp. Axe is 32 inches long, wood handle. Maker's stamp is oval shaped, with the letters (I think) as follows: SFERAM? [​IMG][/URL][/IM[​IMG] G] [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Thanks all for your kind help

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  2. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    A photo of the whole axe might help. For some reason that word "SFERAM" seems French to me. John

Agent_H likes this.
  3. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Agent_H likes this.
  4. sa1111

sa1111

Sep 9, 2016
    Here's the whole axe[​IMG]

Yes it does seem European, possibly French

Agent_H likes this.
  5. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    Besides that summitpost mention, the only other example I found is an Italian ad for a
    piccozza classica da alpinismo sferam.

"Sferam" is the Slovenian and Serbian word for "Spheres" (according to Google), so my guess is that it was made by a lesser known manufacturer in that part of Europe.

6. sa1111

sa1111

Sep 9, 2016
    Wow! You all are great. Steve, you are a master googler (and I thought I was good at it). Thanks again to all of the members of Blade Forums for their kind assistance

7. NitsaeKram

NitsaeKram Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 1, 2018

Sweet, I picked this one up a few weeks ago.
    Handle is loose.

[​IMG]

sa1111 likes this.
  8. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    Not for ice climbing, but it looks like a "Boston Ice Ax":

[​IMG]

from Gifford-Wood Co. catalog, 1912

sa1111, NitsaeKram and Square_peg like this.
  9. NitsaeKram

NitsaeKram Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 1, 2018