Recommendation? Iconic American fixed blades

Now the buck 119 is a next generation from that and is a classic now,
The 119 design dates back to at least the 40's, and is really not far off from the " generation " of the western #66 actually.

But yes is is a classic now, probably always has been though.

Reactions: JM2
The 119 design dates back to at least the 40's, and is really not far off from the " generation " of the western #66 actually.

But yes is is a classic now, probably always has been though.
I forgot about the first years of the 119. I think it was switched over as we know it in 1961. Man I’d love to find one of the originals in carbon steel. Man can dream right?

I forgot about the first years of the 119. I think it was switched over as we know it in 1961. Man I’d love to find one of the originals in carbon steel. Man can dream right?
If I'm not mistaken the early ones were forged from files before they became a full blown production knife company, but the examples I see posted in the Buck subforum all look stainless.
I've never seen one with patina.

Eight or nine years ago, when I first started taking an active interest in knives, there were three knives that I thought a guy had to have in his collection, accumulation, stable, whatever you want to call it. One folder, the 110, and two fixed blades, the Kabar and the 119. So the Kabar and the 119 were the iconic fixed blades to me.
Now, years later, I know a lot more about knives. A lot of additional knives have been suggested here, cool knives, historically important knives, desirable knives. But the Kabar and the 119 contain all the information you really need about the American fixed blade knife. They are still the iconic American fixed blades. You do not need any special or particular knife knowledge beyond a minimal awareness to recognize them as archetypes. Everything else is just a variation on a theme, or too arcane to resonate with anyone but an enthusiast.

I think they might have a Pakistani woodcraft or at least I thought I saw one within the past few years, but I don't think a cheap imported woodcraft would really be worth it.
I wouldn't mind having one of those Cabela's Buck's Marble's woodcrafts.

I don't see a China Marbles woodcraft out there. Maybe too many people still think t looks too odd.

What were they upset about? The patents expired nearly 100 year ago and there have been copies made by many knife manufacturers ever since...
You are right about that. Sorry, I read that in another's post as I was researching, can't find it now🙄 Could have misinterpreted it.

I wouldn't mind having one of those Cabela's Buck's Marble's woodcrafts.

I don't see a China Marbles woodcraft out there. Maybe too many people still think t looks too odd.
I don't know, have you seen all the funky looking Chinese and Pakistani hunters out there ?
I have no clue why they wouldn't want to copy the woodcraft pattern, but I can't say I've seen a Chinese or Pakistani Canadian belt knife copy either.
Maybe there are just some old hunting patterns that aren't as marketable today except to those who wouldn't buy a cheap knockoff ?

The OP asked for iconic, not old. For example, for cars, I'd nominate Ford model T, Shelby Cobra and Hummer H1 as 3 of the most iconic American cars.

In that spirit, both Busse and CPK are iconic, they are unique and very American. If I had to pick specific traditional models (no fighting butts, etc.), it would be DS8 and HDFK as their most iconic traditional knives.

The OP asked for iconic, not old. For example, for cars, I'd nominate Ford model T, Shelby Cobra and Hummer H1 as 3 of the most iconic American cars.

In that spirit, both Busse and CPK are iconic, they are unique and very American. If I had to pick specific traditional models (no fighting butts, etc.), it would be DS8 and HDFK as their most iconic traditional knives.
The hummer is not a car, it’s an apc, right? 😂
I’d put Mustang in that list too, thanks to Steve McQueen and Bullitt, and probably some 50s Chevy or similar, but that’s off topic ☺️

Fun and interesting! Well, I own a 1967 Mustang (not a slant back) and I definitely consider it to be an iconic American car. I don’t own a Buck 119 but consider it to be equally iconic. All the adults had one when I was coming up and the ones that didn’t, wanted one. i wanted one. Why don’t I have one?

I don’t have a 119. Ive had at least three I can remember. Why don’t I have one now? Hmmm cause I was dumb and sold it. Once upon a time I sold everything I had that I wasn’t really in love with and used the funds to purchase a marlin 1894c. Where’s that you ask? Lost it when my house burnt.

Went another direction in both guns and knives when I started over. Now it’s a buck 192 and a Winchester 94 30-30. I do long for the marlin still. I don’t know that I long for a buck 119 though. The case Buffalo hunter model 17912 is more my tastes now. Don’t have one of those either but I want one.

Although not US made. I bet there a millions of these stuffed in tackle boxes all over the states.

2211F53B-19E7-4DEA-8548-85A7D883F810.jpeg

The BK16 was released around 2012 I think. While it has not been around very long, it has developed a loyal following.
3D9169FB-179A-4005-867F-4F1CD4A8C5A9.jpeg
The quintessential paring knife by Old Hickory.
6EB8136B-7EAC-4438-81A8-3F0F7FBA57BF.jpeg
These next two need no introduction.
51EB8089-1C93-4E57-901D-371967B59AF8.jpeg35F58EE7-6371-4A48-A10D-D59D6AFD7C39.jpeg

Although not US made. I bet there a millions of these stuffed in tackle boxes all over the states.

View attachment 1900249

The BK16 was released around 2012 I think. While it has not been around very long, it has developed a loyal following.
View attachment 1900250
The quintessential paring knife by Old Hickory.
View attachment 1900251
These next two need no introduction.
View attachment 1900252View attachment 1900253
I have three of those filleting knives myself.

I’m thinking about shortening one about an inch and round tipping it for deer processing.

What kind of fish is that?

It's hard to find fault with any of the knives posted here.

I know what iconic means. The practical side of my thinking is that an iconic knife would have to be practical for the use intended, and have a proven track record for durability. As much as I wanted a big honkin' Bowie strapped around my middle, a four inch blade, more or less, was the practical choice.
Growing up I read endlessly about Marbles and Randall. Most of the knives I saw around me ranged from Western, to Schrade, to Imperial. I saw all of them do countless camp chores and skin tons of game. The big Kabars and Bucks were things I saw in the sporting goods stores, but never saw in the wild.

I help out at gun shows on occasion. The dealer I work with sells Kabars to older guys, and ESEEs to younger folks. It's just a matter of taste. ESSEE are impressive knives, but I'd really hate to lug one around very much. and I couldn't call them iconic. For most of these guys fixed blades are a statement rather than a tool.

Then there's the guy I run into several times a year. He won't buy anything other than a 'quality' knife to skin rabbits with. 'Course he believes that a vintage Marbles or Pal shouldn't cost more than eleven bucks. And from a practical standpoint a pocketknife or a Bird and Trout would be the correct tool for the job. But, no, a big ol' Woodcraft is the only blade worth considering. But, predictably, he's never bought a knife. That's a brand of genius that I've never quite figured out.

The hummer is not a car, it’s an apc, right? 😂
I’d put Mustang in that list too, thanks to Steve McQueen and Bullitt, and probably some 50s Chevy or similar, but that’s off topic ☺️

Oh yeah, 1964/5 Shelby Mustang (Bullit) and 1954 Chevy (my knife, my wife's car :) )

i-3Nh5VGw-X3.jpg

Then there's the guy I run into several times a year. He won't buy anything other than a 'quality' knife to skin rabbits with. 'Course he believes that a vintage Marbles or Pal shouldn't cost more than eleven bucks. And from a practical standpoint a pocketknife or a Bird and Trout would be the correct tool for the job. But, no, a big ol' Woodcraft is the only blade worth considering. But, predictably, he's never bought a knife. That's a brand of genius that I've never quite figured out.
Did he ever skin a rabbit?

Back