1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

ID hatchet made in Germany

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by RickW, Jun 9, 2019.

1. RickW

RickW

Nov 5, 2005
    Here is a hatchet I picked up recently. It's a common size and shape. but the markings have me stumped, except for the one that says "GERMANY"!
    The hatchet head is about 6 3/8: long an dthe bit is about 3 5/8" wide. The handle measures
    about 14" long. The whole thing weighs just under 1 1/2 lbs.The head has the remains of olive drab paint, and the handle has been painted bright green.
    The head is marked "SWO26/SPECFEB(?)--EC/GERMANY". The handle is marked "US BO 24".
    Here are the pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Note the care with which the handle has been shaped and wedged - That's a staple and a corrugated fastener used as wedges!
    I would appreciate any information about this unusual hatchet.
    Rick W

A17, arcadia and rjdankert like this.
  2. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Rick, I am curious about the significance of those SPECFEDSPEC markings as well. I have one that gets used and it seems harder than the other W. Germany marked axes/hatchets I've owned:
    [​IMG]

A17, OnceBitten, arcadia and 3 others like this.
  3. RickW

RickW

Nov 5, 2005
    Thanks for the reply. Now I know what the marking actually says, which helps. Hopefully, we'll find out!
    Rick

A17 likes this.
  4. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    It meets fed(eral) specifications perhaps? My only other thought is a german company called bison shows up when I look up your stamps. Maybe they made it?

Fmont likes this.