1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideal Size?

Discussion in 'JK Handmade Knives' started by JK Knives, Apr 16, 2018.

1. JK Knives

JK Knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 6, 2001
    What is your choice for the ideal or perfect size knife?
    Blade length?
    Handle length?
    Blade height?
    Steel thickness?

With Connie starting overnight shift soon, I'm going to be spending more time in the shop so it's quiet in the house for her to sleep, so I plan on working on some new designs, and am looking for input.

Rob Babcock and austexjg like this.
  2. ty_higg

ty_higg Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2011
    For a smaller knife I like a 3.5" to 4" handle and about a 3.5" blade, 1" high for pocket carry. Larger knives I like the 4"-5.5" blade and a minimum 4 1/4" handle with around 1 1/4"-2" blade height. Thickness for a larger knife I like 1/8" I've gone away from the thicker blades here recently and for a smaller blade I don't really have a preference with thickness.

JK Knives likes this.
  3. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf

Dec 3, 2015
    For EDC purposes, I think a 3-3.25" handle with a 3.5" blade in 3/32" would be about perfect. I find 3.5" handles hit my palm funny, and a 4" handle eats into blade length when trying to stick with a 6.5-7" overall length.

I don't have an opportunity to camp or do fun bushcrafting stuff, so larger knives are focused on kitchen duty. Here, blade thinness is King. Since it's not carried, a full 4-4.5" grip is appreciated, and a blade length between 4.5-6.5" with 1/16” - 5/32" blade thickness really excel.

Handle shapes can be all over the place for me, but I do find that I like a bit of a palm swell, as well as a bit of tapering towards the ricasso. It lends to a more forward grip, which I appreciate in the kitchen and with detail work. On small handles, I like a bit of a hook on the bottom side (like your Bluegill) to tuck a finger tip into.

JK Knives likes this.
  4. ty_higg

ty_higg Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2011
    also should of added my preferences come from a hiking/camping/bushcrafting perspective with the smaller knives being more so ranch work/fixing things up or making things for around the house.

JK Knives likes this.
  5. Simplejack

Simplejack

Dec 28, 2017
    Probably a 5" hatchet blade using a true quarter round to transition to a 4" draw blade. With a 6" handle resembling the knatchet handle. Off the books of course so haters cant hate

JK Knives likes this.
  6. Wurrwulf

Wurrwulf

Dec 3, 2015
    As far as blade shapes:

For EDC, I like drop point, straight back, or spear point. I'm not super crazy about clip points or straight edges (ie wharncliffe/sheepfoot) fixed blades. Typically 3/4" tall blades.

For the kitchen, I like straight back, drop point, and Deba/Santoku style blades in the 1.25"-2" tall blades (depending on blade length). A paring/B&T style knife in the 4" blade length and 3/4" height range wouldn't go amiss, either.

Could you make me one of those super sweet Cutco knives with the serrated edge and scalloped flats?! ;):D

7. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    Better yet, I'll make you one of those Ginsu knives that cut tin cans!

grunt soldier and Wurrwulf like this.
  8. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2012
    A 5" blade length is my sweet spot. Not too big to handle detailed work, but enough blade length to handle most fire prep. Handle length needs to be at least 4 1\2". Blade height 1-2". Steel thickness, no more than 3/16", preferably less. A lot of the 5" production knives tend to be way overbuilt. Love a nice flat/convex grind, hate Scandi.

Come to think of it, that sounds and awful lot like the muddy camp I keep wanting to email you about......

Simplejack likes this.
  9. Simplejack

Simplejack

Dec 28, 2017
    John. How about some teaser pics of the current work???

10. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    As soon as I work out some designs.

Simplejack likes this.
  11. Simplejack

Simplejack

Dec 28, 2017
    What about the ones that were in heat treat today?

12. JK Knives

Mar 6, 2001
    That would be a M-22 and a Personal Camp. I'll try to get some in process pictures tomorrow.

Phill50 and Simplejack like this.
  13. Simplejack

Simplejack

Dec 28, 2017
    I did a ruff sketch of my unicorn knife:). I may need to calm it down a little. it came out to be 16 1/2 inches long.

Wurrwulf likes this.
  14. grunt soldier

grunt soldier Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 4, 2009
    I can't ever decide lol. That's why I buy multiple knives

15. mykel m

mykel m Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2009
    9 1/2"ish OAL, 5" blade, 1/8" stock, 1 1/8th high.

Rob Babcock and protourist like this.