Identify this wood?

Hey guys, got a bunch of wood given to me and it is the perfect size for the wa style handles I make. Just wondering if anyone knows what it is and if it would be safe to use unstabilized with a tru oil or tung oil finish or if I should send it off to K&G. It is super light and I love that about it but it is soft enough to nick with my fingernail.
2 different kinds, not sure if it is the same wood or not. The person who gave them to me did not know what they were. He did give me some Kwila and it looks nice but I'm not sure if I'm excited about working with it :rolleyes:
I did wet one piece to help identify it.
wood_zpsth4fj4zd.jpg

wood2_zpsx6h0lfnr.jpg

wood3_zpsshbyhnvf.jpg

wood4_zps5bfuc3gm.jpg

Thanks,
-Trey

Ray fleking makes me think something in the Acer genus, maybe box elder?

And if you can use it, that's up to you. The Japanese love to use alder and magnolia wood for handles, which most American knife makers would say is far to soft. The Japanese just replace the handle when it gets to worn, scuffed or damaged.

Personally I wouldn't stabilze it. It would be pricy given how much compound they would suck up, and if you want a heavy, hard and stable wood with that look just buy some hard maple.

Thanks, i believe the person who gave it to me thought it was cypress or magnolia? I've used soft ho wood handles for years at work. I glue my hardwoods up with gflex, with this i guess i could just burn in and use beeswax. I don't turn ferrules on a lathe, i glue up woth gflex. Was mainly wondering if I used this stuff if it could expand and mess with the glue joint. I prefer the light weight which is why I think I'm about to usr oil finished maple on my lighter knives.
Thanks,
-Trey

Actually I recently made a handle from some maple I bought from you, finished very easy and is beautiful! Thanks!

Back