"If I had to start from scratch..."

Do the side pouches on the "typical" German mountain pack hold standard-sized 1 L lexan bottles? Pop bottles?

Please do! That sounds like a wealth of knowledge!

I'll see what I can find. Keep in mind that we're talking, like, 50 years ago, so I don't know what's left around here. I'll certainly look, though: it should be fun.

I'll see what I can find. Keep in mind that we're talking, like, 50 years ago, so I don't know what's left around here. I'll certainly look, though: it should be fun.

Awesome..im sure im not the only one who would like to see this :thumbup:

Starting over? I would try to keep it much more simple than now. I have so darn much gear that it can take up to half of available time just trying to decide what to take along. Most all of our camping has been on either Trail Bikes, Boat, canoe, 4x4 or horse back therefore we were usually not limited on gear. My favorite tent is the Cabelas outback lodge. Two urner white gas stove for cooking and Cots for sleeping.

For knives The Buck 110 and a folding Buck fillet knife did most of the work along with the Estwing ax. I don't think that I would change much except that I wouldn't need about a ton of the other stuff.

Udtjim, You are right on with what you said about the Buck 110 and then the fillet knife, and then the estwing axe. There is not much you can not do with that set up.

I had al most the same set up. I had the 110 and then the estwing axe but I did have a small 4" or so old timer full tang hunting knife lol.
For my fillet knife I had a I think it was a old timer or shcrade.

Bryan

For knives to take camping I would suggest for a cheap starting point that would cover pretty much everything:
KA-BAR Kukri Machete - for all machete, chopping & batoning requirements.
Mora Clipper - for all utility knife requirements.
That is under $60 to be well equipped enough for pretty much anything required of camp knives.
If you want a folder than add an Opinel and you have 3 knives for around $70. For someone starting out and on a limited budget you wont easily beat the price/performance ratio of these knives.

I have tried out my Opinel #6 for food prep - slicing tomatoes couldn't be easier, goddamn this thing slices well! At Christmas time we ran out of steak knives and I had a BBQed steak on my plate to cut, then I remembered my little #6 in my pocket - it worked great! (But I was glad we weren't using paper plates because I am sure that sharp little sucker would easily cut right through if you weren't careful)

For under $100 you could get:
KA-BAR Kukri
Mora Clipper
and 3 Opinels (I have a #4, #6 & #9)
There are many more options if you have a big budget - but those on tighter budgets don't have to suffer poor performing knives just because they can't afford the dearest stuff.

Anyway these are purchases I would make right now if I were starting from scratch but knew what I know now. I like some of the other knives I have, but they are not needed and I wouldn't buy most of them if my budget was really tight. Well maybe I would still buy the Ontario Rat-1 for $25, it is a handy knife in AUS-8 stainless and it is a really nice little locking folder for the money, especially if you are keen on a one handed opener.

For me it all starts with boots. Boots get you there and they get you back. Or sandals. What would you guys be doing for footwear if you were starting from scratch?

(I was looking at some $350.00 Lowa boots today. Ouch.)

Funny enough, my only safe queen is a Mora. All my pricey knives go out on field trips, the Mora stays at home. There's no way I could have just a Mora. It's a great knife, but I'd want something else. I don't think I have as much confidence in my Mora as I do in my Breeden, Stomper, or Koyote. So the Mora hangs out in the safe while the makers' go out to play.

Last edited:
For me it all starts with boots. Boots get you there and they get you back. Or sandals. What would you guys be doing for footwear if you were starting from scratch?

(I was looking at some $350.00 Lowa boots today. Ouch.)

Funny enough, my only safe queen is a Mora. All my pricey knives go out on field trips, the Mora stays at home. There's no way I could have just a Mora. It's a great knife, but I'd want something else. I don't think I have as much confidence in my Mora as I do in my Breeden, Stomper, or Koyote. So the Mora hangs out in the safe while the makers' go out to play.

I've always been partial to my old jungle boots or combat boots. $350 for a pair of boots is about 20 times my boot budget.

About 5 years ago I stopped on the way home from hunting at a major grocery store at about 11 at night..when I came out both side windows of my truck were busted out and my entire kit was gone. With the exception of my rifle I replaced my whole kit for around $300.00. Most with excact replacements..A few items are different but not many. (note that my perception is my truck was targeted because it was the only one in the parking lot that was covered in mud.) Just a "security heads up" for my outdoor bretheren.

- German 'Mountain' Rucksack (only around $10, but a good canvas pack)
- US GI canteen/cup/stove w/ pouch (~$15)
- Open Country 2-Quart Billy (aluminum, quite handy, less than $10)
- Couple hundred feet of paracord ($15)
- Mora #2 ($10)
- 19" Wetterlings ($50, quite handy and functional enough!)
- Vic Farmer ($15)
- LMF Army firesteel ($12)
- Wool blanket ($12 at harbor freight)
- Nylon tarp ($40)
- Lightweight LED headlamp ($10 at wally world)
- Closed cell foam pad ($8)
- "Bushcraft" by Mors Kochanski ($10)

Man, your back to basics sound a lot like what I started with as a kid.

Medium ALICE pack
2 1qt canteens with cups
Never needed a billy, pot, or whatever it's called this tuesday, one canteen cup for food, the other for drink.

Didn't have paracord, but we had a hank of clothesline and a ball of twine.
No wool blanket, but a surplus sleeping bag.
Oldy-moldy shelter half pup tent.
No headlamps, had an old Ray-O-Vac flashlight.
No firesteel, had matches in a ziplock.
Had piles of leaves rather than a pad.

For sharp stuff, I carried my Boy Scout jack knife religiously.
Buck 110
Ka-Bar USMC
Estwing hatchet.

That stuff, plus a few cans of SPAM, Vienna sausages, fruit, a chunk of bread, cheese and a few tea bags, and a young man conquered the wilderness.

I've always been partial to my old jungle boots or combat boots.

Jungle boots rock. I haven't had a pair for a few years, but I did like 'em while I had 'em.

I'm a bit shy of the $350.00 price tag on the Lowa's myself, but my boots are important pieces of gear, maybe the most important pieces of gear. I'll happily use an old ALICE pack and GI canteen/cup, but at the same time, I'm willing to spend a bit on my boots. And a good knife and rifle. Compass is another piece of kit not to scrimp on.

I'd also recommend a good sleeping bag and ground pad. In cold weather, a sleeping bag is a godsend; and even a good bag is cold without a good ground pad (or two). In warm weather a poncho liner works like a champ, but in sub-freezing conditions I like my Marmot bag.

No, if I had to start from scratch, I'd invest in some good basic kit items (boots, sleeping bag, knife, compass, water filter) and then scrounge the rest (pack, clothing, water bottles, kitchen, tarp, cordage). Budget permitting, of course.

Jungle boots rock. I haven't had a pair for a few years, but I did like 'em while I had 'em.

I'm a bit shy of the $350.00 price tag on the Lowa's myself, but my boots are important pieces of gear, maybe the most important pieces of gear. I'll happily use an old ALICE pack and GI canteen/cup, but at the same time, I'm willing to spend a bit on my boots. And a good knife and rifle. Compass is another piece of kit not to scrimp on.

I'd also recommend a good sleeping bag and ground pad. In cold weather, a sleeping bag is a godsend; and even a good bag is cold without a good ground pad (or two). In warm weather a poncho liner works like a champ, but in sub-freezing conditions I like my Marmot bag.

No, if I had to start from scratch, I'd invest in some good basic kit items (boots, sleeping bag, knife, compass, water filter) and then scrounge the rest (pack, clothing, water bottles, kitchen, tarp, cordage). Budget permitting, of course.

I agree wholeheartedly: jungle boots do rock. I think I've gone through three of four pairs. Up where you are, I would think that they'd be summer time only, but around here, they're a year-round boot.

I also agree about the importance of good boots. Prime gear.

I'm pretty much with you on the rest of the gear, too. Other than a month or two every year, I don't have to worry quite as much about cold weather as you do, but I still believe in good bags and pads.

i just hit up google w/ "german mountain rucksack" and got alot of info...i dont want to post anything hear d/t deal spotting..grrr...but that should get you the info you are hunting.
I heard that. There's a ' moderator" ,with a sharp machete, ready to chastise anyone trying to help a brother out.

Check these out.
https://www.otbboots.com/main.html

Relax commandant. No deal here.:jerkit:

Back