If I ran out of iron

could I still make a knife? As many have noticed I use a large selection of iron to make my fittings. But what if I ran out? A friend of mind sent me a few odd ball piece of material but mostly handle stock. There was a small bundle labeled walrus cheek bone. I really hadn't given the cheek bone a second thought till I started working on this knife. I had a pretty nice piece of osic but it was obviously challenged by being about an inch short. I thought I could just add an iron spacer or two but even I get tired of working with iron all the time. :D All of a sudden I remembered the cheek bone. Bone transplant! I went ahead and added a 1/4" bone spacer both front and back but it was still laking. Why not make the guard and the butt cap out of the same bone? I didn't think about that very long and went ahead and did it. My main fear came at the very end. I wasn't sure if the bone would stand up to peening the end of the tang but it did. With my luck that last little tap would have split the bone and I'd be back to scratching my head.

This knife had got a 4 1/2" L-6 blade with an osic and walrus cheek handle, no iron........ 9" overall and weighs 6oz.

IMG_0676.JPG

Worlds first Barbe Doll. I bet few knew Barbe started her life as a boot jack.

IMG_0678.JPG

looks cool ray....i ain'tg onan even comment on the barbie doll....looks like a crazy pic tai would take.....next thing you know you're gonna be using nickel silver:eek:.....ryan

wow, very cool Ray. How does 6oz compare to a similiar knife in iron fittings?

Just think how cool it would look with a small blackwood spacer between the osic and the bone (a tone more work probably...)

Lorien

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I like it a lot, especially the way you sculpted it in the same way as you do with your iron fittings.

wow, very cool Ray. How does 6oz compare to a similiar knife in iron fittings?

Just think how cool it would look with a small blackwood spacer between the osic and the bone (a tone more work probably...)

As far as weight goes with a knife this small I think there might be a 2oz difference using the iron if that much. As far as the blackwood spacer goes I think it would be a little to busy for this knife plus the DNA wouldn't match up.

Ryan, I've got a good sized chunk of nickel silver. Maybe someday.....

As far as weight goes with a knife this small I think there might be a 2oz difference using the iron if that much. As far as the blackwood spacer goes I think it would be a little to busy for this knife plus the DNA wouldn't match up.

Ryan, I've got a good sized chunk of nickel silver. Maybe someday.....

After looking at it harder, i think you are right about the blackwood being too busy, and I never even considered the DNA --- that's why you're the Dr :p :)

I'd sure like to see how this one feels in hand with the bone guard... Your work is awesome Ray :thumbup: :thumbup:

I think this one turned out great, and it's neat that the handle is all made from Walrus.

Beau Erwin