If price wasn't an issue

Purely for your personal enjoyment , What custom knife would want if price was not an issue ? Why?

Not for resale reasons !!!!!!!

Ken,
I admit to knowing next to nothing about custom knives. I didn't know they existed 18 months ago. My learning curve has increased since finding the Forums.

To answer your question, for me it would have to be an Ed Fowler, "Pronghorn" or better yet, a Damascus Bowie. Why? His style is so unique. I had a chance to talk to Ed at my first knife show, for 20 mins. You have to love the guy. His knives are magic in your hand. It may be a crime to own one of Ed's knives and not use it, since that's what they're made for, but I'm not a hunter. A purveyor once told me they're not collectable, just an expensive using knife. Practical or not, that's what I would own.

PhilL

Darrel Ralph is working on my first "blue sky" project, nearly complete after 3 years. Designer damascus, white gold, platinum, diamonds - nuff said.

Just finalized my second such project with John Etzler. Lots more gold, 3 times the diamonds, and an awesome 5 bar damascus blade, forged to shape, so the bars merge at the tip.

Wow PhilL,

For somebody who knows "nothing" about custom knives, you sure know how to pick em. Ed Fowler blades are some of the most beautiful, functional, and mindfully designed cutting implements made today. And of course Fowler knives are collectable. Just because they look simple does not mean they really are simple or that they are not Art.

I guess I'll have to pick one of Dan Burke's two or three blade traditional slip-joint folders with damascus blades and mammoth ivory scales. Or maybe a Steve Mullin two blade black pearl slip-joint folder with D2 blades. Or John Etzer's Asian Sunset damascus blade at KnifeArt. Or a Barry Gallagher liner lock folder. Or a Rick Dunkerly Bowie. This is too hard. I buy All my knives just for personal enjoyment. Can I Only pick One?

Paracelsus

I would have to have any of the following:

1 - A traditional Katana made by Yoshindo Yoshihara. Swords do not get any better.
I can't explain it, but that type of sword just makes me feel right.

Barry

Umm... a lot comes to mind. My thoughts would be to sit down with someone and see what we could come up with over a period of time. Something using multi-bar damascus would be my starting point. For a rote answer a nice Warenski (both Julie and Buster), or a Ray Appleton design would be nice to be able to consider as would a sword by Sid Birt, a dagger by Billy Mace Imel, Jim Ence or Fred Carter. I also have a thing for Bill Moran's Damascus stilettos. Imagine being able to talk with Hugh Bartrug and saying price is not a problem and turning him or any maker that your admire loose with it...wow. I bet I could easily come up with 30 or more makers I would love to do that with.

I agree with Paracelsus it really is way to hard to make a pick with as much talent that is out there and getting better every year. How about 1 of each please
smile.gif

Thank you Jim Weyer, Dino Petrocelli, Barry Gallagher, Point Seven and others. Your photographs enable others and myself to enjoy knives we would otherwise not get a chance to see.

[This message has been edited by Gus Kalanzis (edited 14 November 1999).]

I have always been attracted to Japanese style swords but always thought they were too expensive for a quality example. If price was no object, a set of Japanese swords from Michael Bell would be nice. An RJ Martin Kwaiken would be more realistic, however.

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 14 November 1999).]

I would get Q36 folder by R.J. Martin and Talonite Cetan by Rob Simonich. And then really, really good katana.

David

Three piece matched set from either Scott Slobodian, Michael Bell or Jerry Fisk - KATANA, WAKAZASHI & TANTO using the "new" steel Jerry & Michael are starting to work with.

Bill

I would commission Ken Onion to make a knife with gold, platinum, and diamond embelshments. The I would then give it to my wife as a gift (unsharpened of course).

Seriously, a custom Ken Onion fixed blade would be nice.

Ken.
I'd really like to hear your answer. You start great topics. I don't know how many times you give us the benefit of your insight. For me it would be great, to have someone whose work I really admire, let me know who they admire. What do you say?
PhilL

Greetings To All,

It would be the "Norden", an excellant field/utility design in Talonite & made by Rob Simonich, who is one of the very best custom knife makers in the world. His work is what I consider...PERFECTION. He also makes the very best sheath design that I have ever seen or used...it is extremely well made. Actually...price is not so much of a concern to me as it is for Rob to have the time to make this knife...he is at least 18 months backordered!

My personal desire from the Onion shop would be what I call a Gentlemen's knife. I couldn't really find what I desire on the open market and would have to have one made I suppose. A blade approx. 2 7/8" of 440v (probably flat ground-satin texture)razor sharp-fairly easy to sharpen, a thicker than usual liner lock, incorporating a speed safe release, with elephant ivory (or similiar--probably white linen micarta)slabs, with a ss clip with my initials on it. Overall length 3 1/4". Realitively thin profile. This knife as described would be overbuilt for intended uses, i.e., cutting enevelopes, boxes, tapes, etc.
I know a lot of guys working in offices that just can't carry the larger tactical knives (when even a random or mini task) is too large to evade scrutiny. This knife that I described would be one to use in this environment and would be one to show off and probably would gender a great deal of interest to the maker.

Dan

Pardon me for resurecting an old thread, but I just couldn't believe this pic wasn't already on the list.
url]

Even with price as no object, I'm not sure grandpa would do another just like it, but it's gotta be one of the most amazing knives ever forged.

[This message has been edited by T. J. (edited 09 December 1999).]

I wouldn't be sitting here at work on this slow machine, that's for sure!
It'd be a 5,000Mega HZ, 900 giga byte hard drive and a 32" monitor!!! whoa big fella, sorry about that, my wife's calling me home right now!

But as to a knife? There was a Jeff Harkins folder that really struck a cord in me, and it was a black and white photo none the less.
Contoured bolster into the woodscale, the wood was Tulipwood I think, and his narrow bladed style of Damascus.

That'd be nice...

G2

PS
Of course one of your knives would be welcome to stay in my home as well! That sexy number you had at the Blade Show was very well done!

------------------
If you can't be kind,
at least have the decency to be vague. Stephen Wright

www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Cabin/7306/blades.html

Gillett PA

Back