"If you ain't got a Case pocket knife, you are just plain wrong."

I just stumbled across a nice article by John Simeone at foremosthunting.com on Case knives. Here's the link. It's a damn fine read, right up our folksy alley. :thumbup:

-- Mark

Last edited:
Good read and I like his choice of color as well. :cool:

Thanks for the link, Mark. :thumbup:

Great read...Case knives do figure in my collection and my edc rotation but so do other classic names from the day of the cracker barrel. Ka-Bar, Schrade, Remington, and Camillus to name a few. Oddly I prefer the older ones however...just wish some could talk.

Good read. Thank you for posting it.
(I am wondering if grandma might have had a nice collection. After all a trapper is a big knife to loose. I wonder if she had them stashed away in a sock drawer and was messin' with her grandson. ;))

Well I just picked up a Medium Stockman... I've got a Buck 110, a Camillus jigbone slipjoint peanut knife and a Svord Peasant, but really got bit by the traditional bug last night. I have an Imperial Sodbuster and a few others on the way too, pretty excited

I'm somewhat abashed to say that I got my first Case pocket knife this last Christmas, a gift from my fantastic mother in law. It's a stag handled small stockman, much smaller than I usually carry (I like a full size stockman), but it is a fantastic little knife. I love it. My Buck 301 is going to get replaced next month, either by a Case trapper or large stockman.

And I'm glad I'm not the only oddball who passes on the tactical folders for something old fashioned. Nice to run into you guys.

I'm somewhat abashed to say that I got my first Case pocket knife this last Christmas, a gift from my fantastic mother in law. ...

And I'm glad I'm not the only oddball who passes on the tactical folders for something old fashioned. Nice to run into you guys.

Run for your life, WvHiker! This place will ruin your wallet. :D

Seriously, though, welcome to the best knife subforum on the web. :thumbup:

Great read, and thanks for the link Mark:thumbup:

The Case Trapper has cleaned more game than any knife here in the US, and by a very wide margin. Alot around here still use them.

Thanks for the link Mark. :thumbup:

WvHiker, welcome!! You'll find plenty of the non-tactical folks here. In fact, over the past couple years I've given all of my modern stuff to my son. All but one lone Spyderco. I blame these guys... :p

Chris

Good read. Thanks for posting it. Ya can't go wrong with a Case knife.

I don't own a Case knife yet, and I know it's wrong. I just haven't come across the right one yet. :)

Many years of being plain wrong but I'm good now. Have two and a third one is in the works. Very relieving. :)

i grew up in the rural south (at least it use to be). case knives were as common as a pick up truck. everyboby had one and you never went faster than 35 mph it seemed. i had one uncle that always carried an old timer. never could figure out why that was. i always thought it a little odd.

This was a great read. It can be especially helpful and encouraging for young hunters just getting started. I have been hunting for about 36 of my 48 years, and before I was old enough to hunt, I always went with my Grampa...
I learned at a young age, it doesn't take a knife that is big enough to chop wood with to process game. That was one of many things Gramps taught me that have always stayed with me, and I have tried to instill in my son Travis who is in his second year of hunting this season...

Like most of us, I have experimented with various knives though. Last weekend was our opening day for archery season, and as always I picked my hunting knives, and checked all the edges. While deciding which knife was going to be my "in pocket: knife, I decided on my old Schrade Walden 293 trapper.
I know its not a Case, but the pattern is the same, and I actually like the fact
that the size of it fits between my favorite Case mini trapper and a full size trapper.

Its funny because there are knives in the safe which cost a lot more, have super steel, and by all means will do a fantastic job on game, but they just don't see the use of the more basic hunting knives. While the fact that D2 and others will usually hold an edge longer, they just don't seem to have the personality of the classic slip joints in good ol carbon steel... YMMV and just my very humble opinion

i grew up in the rural south (at least it use to be). case knives were as common as a pick up truck. everyboby had one and you never went faster than 35 mph it seemed. i had one uncle that always carried an old timer. never could figure out why that was. i always thought it a little odd.

There were, and still are a lot of folks that carried and swore by Schrade slip joints. While they may not have had the nice looking bone and higher polish of the Case knives, there is no denying they made an outstanding tool. IMHO they were able to get the heat treat on the 1095 done very nicely and they have a different blade shape than others. They are a cuttin machine.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Case knives a lot. When my Grandad passed away about 6 years ago at the age of 93, I got his knives. There were only a few, but they were all Scharde Waldens

Back