If you could design the ultimate tactical hawk....

well, in my opinion,the VT from ATC will be the one, because of his ability as tool and as weapon if needed.
If it's for using it as weapon only then I will pick a Next Generation.
They both have a trouble free handle (a broken handle is not what you want when the ballon go up), they're both light, sharp and very handy,but the most important, they 200% reliable,and for me this is what matter when "tacticaly" speaking.
For the price it's hard to find a hawk with all the advantages of a VT... but there again, that's only my opinion...

redvenom said:
My ultimate tac hawk would be a spike tomahawk with a head like the one Craig Camerer posted recently but with the addition of a near-bombproof acetal handle like what ATC uses.

The Camerer Hawk:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295271

Andrew Lim

I also loved the look of that hawk and agree about a acetal or other bomb proof type handle. The other change that I would make for myself would be to change the steel to something like CPM-3V or perhaps S7.

I know that this is a subjective question, but in your opinion is a tomoahawk better with a straight blade like the Vietnam tomahawk, or a curved one?

Straight! no doubt! if you want to switch from edge to spike you can turn a straight handle much easier in your hand. for comparison imagine if you had to change grip on a kukri and stab with the back of the blade. It wont be a natural movment.

shootist16 said:
I know that this is a subjective question, but in your opinion is a tomoahawk better with a straight blade like the Vietnam tomahawk, or a curved one?

Well, in my opinion, not sure who you were asking but I will give it a go, I think that a curved blade is better. The reaon why I think that is that you have more edge length (total cutting area)for a given blade size then you do with a straight edge design. I hope that makes sense. If something happens and say you chip out part of the blade you would have more usable edge left. As far as which has better cutting ability I do not know. A straight edge may be less likely to glance off of a target but someone who has used both would have to answer that one. Oh and I would want a convex grind on the hawk. Just thought that I would throw that in there. What are your thoughts on the matter?

shaft /handle straight knurled and bombproof acetal handle
blade curved and prefer hammer = hays montanna hunter with the excellent grip can be spun in hand with no loss of control for sharp or blunt strike ;)

I'd be happy with a slightly shorter version of the RMJ Eagle Talon, it's just about perfect in all other respects to me. I'd also like to see a slightly longer version of the Brend hawk, and it sounds as if Bobby Branton might start making one like that. The removal of the skull crusher on the pommel would make it a bit more user friendly as well.

shootist16 said:
What would it look like?

1009229iceaxes.jpg

A modern ice axe.

*Very strong and light weight (shaft can usually withstand 600+ lbs)
*comes in various shaft lengths
*has a high quality blade, pick, and spike
*features multiple attachement points
*makes and excellent walking stick (especially with the covers)
*can be used as a climbing aid
*is sheeple friendly

n2s

The size and weight of the vietnam hawk is excellent for its intended function but I would like to see a slightly wider, curved blade like on traditional hawk blades. Just a personal preference.

Another maker who makes the style of hawk I like is Bruce Evans. I have been thinking about getting one of his hand forged hawks for a long time. This example is a particular favourite:

http://www.homestead.com/beknivessite2/stumpyshawk.html

shootist16 said:

With the warning that I haven't studied tomahawk combatives, so this is just thinkin' (and you know how dangerous that is) ... my perfect combative hawk would be optimized away from throwing (sacrilege?).

I tend to think of the head of the Eagle Talon as about perfect, though the others posted here are pretty close to that too. Not having handled one, I'd want to ensure that the edge is thin for combatives. Since I won't be throwing it, I want that edge Gransfors-Bruks thin for cutting performance.

And, once you get away from throwing, a change in handle shape is probably indicated as well. Straight, lightly-textured handles provide a bit less security but don't interfere with a throw. If you don't care about throwing, you still probably don't want to add a lot of texture to the handle, but you may contour it for better security. Since the combative tomahawk has two ends you might want to cut with -- main edge and spike -- you want a lightly contoured handle that will work with either one forward. The classic dagger handle, with the curves less accentuated, might be perfect, provided this doesn't weaken the handle. In the case of the Eagle Talon, just slightly shaping the handle slabs might provide some of what's needed, without weakening the handle at all.

Those of you considering throwing your tomahawk would be better served with the classic straight lightly-textured (or untextured) handle, I think.

Joe

I would have to go with the Vtac, but with a few modifications. Change the profile of the handle to an oval so I can index it better by feel. add a steel ferrul and butt cap so I can hammer or remove pins without using the side of the head, oh and add it to the cta as 1 per vehicle. thats about it.

Put a canvas micarta handle on the ATC/Brend Fighting Hatchet, and lengthen it by about 6 inches, and I'd be happy.

Back