If you could only own 3 knives for the rest of your life...

What knives would make the cut so to speak 😜 and even more importantly why?
Just to clarify, that's 3 knives to satisfy all of a poster"s knife needs? Food prep, dining, EDC, all hobbies, work, etc?
I'm not sure 3 is a reasonable number. I typically carry 3 knives (fixed, traditional, modern folder). But I use different knives for food prep, at the dinner table, while camping, while diving, etc. I don't use my dive knives for anything else, and none of my other knives are appropriate for diving. My kitchen/food prep knives aren't suitable for edc, diving, or bushcrafty type camping tasks.

I suppose I COULD choose a favorite kitchen knife (1); and use it for all food prep and dining, including camp & yard. I could choose a single fixed blade to use for other camp chores and EDC carry (2), and a single folder for all folding knife tasks (3)...but what kind of world are you condemning me to??? What if I break my folder because I didn't have an appropriate knife for the task? I'm SOL with a kitchen knife and whatever everything else fixed blade I chose.

I guess I could change my diet - eliminate meats and live on processed foods - so I wouldn't need a kitchen knife. Dive without a knife :oops:. Eliminate most knife related things from my world....
All I'd really need then is a suitable tanto with which to end my miserable life.
Thanks - Who knew the end was this easy...

Last edited:
I'll play from the knives I have. A Buck 110, because it's good at most things I need. An SAK Huntsman so I don't scare the sheeple. My Buck 105 so I have a fixed blade.

Carothers SDFK
Carothers DEK1
SAK Alox Farmer X

Of course, God forbid I ever find myself in such a situation. And in any event, the above would be augmented with an axe and a decent-sized folding saw. But those three would cover all my cutting needs for a long time.

As a knife nut and a knife user these kinds of threads are depressing to me especially the only one knife threads.

I want to use what I want to use whenever I want to use them on what I wanna use em on. I don’t like limitations when there’s no reason for it.
If by chance I got stranded out in the boonies I would have to use what I had on me but I keep extra knives and tools in my pickup camping chest. Besides what I carry which is usually a 303 cadet stockman,a vantage pro I also have a 110 and a LM Wave and Signal in my pickup door pocket, another 110 in the glovebox, a 124 frontiersman, a 108 froe, two hatchets, an axe, a couple saws , mallet, hammer in the camp chest. And for different types of outings I will have other appropriate knives for the occasion, hunting, fishing and such, I like to be prepared and use the correct tool for the tasks at hand.

I can’t imagine that scenario, and hope that never happens! I am of the opinion that a multi tool is not included as it is a tool- the same for axe and saws. For right now (arriving knives may change a choice), I would choose:
CPK SDFK
Spyderco PM2
Bob Dozier Professional Guides Knife

Not happening for me. Just in folding knives I like, use, and enjoy more than three patterns.
Call me "Stupid" "Greedy" or whatever, but I don't want to and won't give up any pattern I like and use.* That does not count the fixed blades, either.
*I plan on "taking with me" a Large/XL Stockman, Barlow, Canoe, 4 Blade Scout Knife, a Harness Jack, Bunny Knife, Moose, 2 Blade Slipjoint Folding Hunter, and a couple Buck 110's when I get put in the box and planted, along with a couple fixed blades ... among other things that mean a lot to me. (No vehehicles or bicycles)

Two kitchen knives - chef and petty. And a SAK.

Problem with these artificial scenarios is that the resulting answers tend to not be knives you would actually want to own, but are instead compromises that have to cover lots of tasks. You would choose things that you could make do with, but that are not otherwise the right tools for a task.

For three knives for the rest of my life I'm going to want knives that will last in regular use without special care. These are all stainless with micarta on the CPK and Buck. They all need to multi-purpose too. These will. And of course, I have to like the aesthetic of the knife and sheaths. Check.

The CPK Kephart and the 118 Pro will perform every kitchen task with aplomb and will also serve admirably in the field. The Inkosi is the best built folder I've ever had and it made the grade here because easy to carry and it's a great user.

too.View attachment 2054280View attachment 2054281View attachment 2054282

Last edited:
Three knives on me at a time, right? Right?…. Because right now I have a Busse AMS, my bunny knife (thanks jlauffer jlauffer !), and one of my Flytaniumed out Luchas.

Hmmmmmmm…. If it’s 3 knives forever, yeeesh. Ok I can only do this if I do it fast and snap-judgement-like.

Busse Anniversary Mean Street
Busse Battle Mistress ergo (OG)
Swamp Rat M6

There. It’s done. Worthless without pics, so:

1704593944535.jpeg

1704594004670.jpeg

1704594131804.jpeg

If I can only keep 3, they’re not gonna be any “broken knives”.

I read every post in the 6 pages. Being the "engineer" type of person, I started to write down every knife mentioned here and see what were the top 5-6. But on 2nd thought that would take a few hours and that would complicate my already heavy schedule (NOT!). However, in reflection, I did come to a few conclusions.

1. If the value of all the knives was averaged, I would think it would be around $200 (maybe more). If you multiply that by the 3 knives, you would come up with $600 worth of knives. That's a lot of mulla for a basic three knife set. WOW!

2. I noted that there is no mention by anyone of a Mora knife. Yet, Mora knives have probably saved more peoples lives, skinned more animals (food), and made more firewood (heat) than any other knife. Being it is decades old and the staple of many a countryman in Europe, Moras have more history than any knife mentioned here and with a superb repretation. I'm not being a Mora fanboy here - I only have 2 of their knives and hundreds of other knives - but if one looks at knife history and their impact over the years, how could one ignore them. In fact, I suspect, if all 3 knives were Mora's one could make case that that is all that is needed.

3. So I am wondering (and I am a knife man), have we gone too far spending money on things that we have been brainwashed/sold on rather than the true facts of what is needed in a "cutting" situation? Have we just gone hog wild on "the latest and greatest" and not on what "really" is trustworthy and works? Has spending money become our object rather than finding solid tools and learning how to use them effectively in all manner of situations?

Just a few thoughts.
Thank you.
My wife and I, run our entire economy around the theory presented in #3.

I always reframe these type of questions into “I have 30 seconds to choose 3 knives from my ridiculously large collection and throw them into my go-bag before the tsunami hits. What do I grab?”

Answer: You should have already packed your go-bag dumbass!

In real life, I already have a SwissChamp and Mora Garberg in my backpack (which is my go-bag) and usually have a Buck 110 on me. If I had a split second to make a change, I think I would swap out the Garberg for the Skrama 200 which can do everything the Garberg can do but more and better.

So….

SwissChamp
Buck 110
Skrama 200

This Case.
Buck 110
Schrade Sharpfinger.

mc3gyrE.jpg

Back