If you had the chance to buy a new in box old-style Wave, would you?

A friend of mine is offering to sell me a new in box old style Leatherman Wave for $55.
He already has one that he uses daily, and since I told him I was thinking about buying a Wave, he offered me his spare.

Well, what do you think?
Amazon sells the new Wave for $61 w/ free shipping. Is it worth a few extra bucks to get the new version?
Is the new Wave even at all better than the old Wave?

I just traded my Buck Omni hunter 12pt folder for a New in the box Old style Wave and I was wondering the same thing. It would be the perfect multitool for me if it only had the same phillips driver that the Blast has. I love that driver. The old style Waves driver is to small for my liking. I will keep it in case I need another multitool or for collection purposes.

I'm a big fan of the Wave and have been carrying the new style for a couple of years now. Can't speak much to the old style, but I believe one of the big differences is locking tools, the new ones lock up (all of them) where the old style does not.

Well, if you don't want the in-box old style wave, tell your friend that I'll buy it! We're talking about the one without the removable bit drivers, and non locking screwdrivers, right?

edit: FYI, the old style wave is pretty collectible, seeing as how it's discontinued. I've seen used ones go for more than $55 on ebay. You may want to buy it from your friend just to resell it

Offer your friend $50 for it.

Nah, I don't mind paying $55 for it (if and when I figure out what I'm going to do - still haven't decided between the old and new Wave yet). He's held on to it for a while, and I honestly think that's a good price considering they're pretty tough to find nowadays.

cdf

I prefer the Old Skool Wave , go for it . Glockman knows what he's talking about , he's a Moderator !

Chris

Personally new leatherman tools haven't impressed me much, the pliers seem to go bad too easily. Maybe I just got a couple of poor pieces, but one of the original multi tools I have is still going strong.

I got one as a gift and used it for about 6 mo. EDC. If you don't mind the drivers folding up and banging your hands all the time, I say to buy it. Mine is a drawer queen now.

The old Wave has better scissors, although the new one isn't bad. Besides that, I think the newer model is better in every other way. Unless you are a collector, your $55 might be better spent on on a new Wave. Let your friend make the profit on his older model.

I had a Leatherman Wave when i was in the army. I would love to be able to replace it, I bought the new wave and dont like it nearly as much.

mykel m

Gold Member
Nah,I wouldn't buy it.
I already have one.:)
It's good to read the pros & cons of the two though,good info.

Ok, I made my decision. Since the old Wave was truly a classic, I went with it, if just to say that I own one.
However, I made a metaphorical deal with the devil...
Because I was so indecisive about this whole thing, I promised myself that I would let myself buy the next brand new revision of the Wave, however many years in the future that it comes out.

Congratulations on your new in the box, old style , new to you Wave.;) I think you made a wise choice. It's not like there's a limit to how many knives/multi tools you can own.:D