Iltis - Ox Head

Uncle Timbo

Gold Member
My fellow axen brothers, I come to you for advice. It seems I came across an old Iltis axe head made in West Germany. It's kind of a chrome head. I wanted to get the the exact shaft for it and I found one at KCTool Co. I don't have it yet as it takes 3 wks to ship from Germany.
Having said all of that, I've watched numerous videos from here and on YT regarding the subject of attaching the handle. Can anybody point me in the right direction.

I'm as green as grass. But everybody has gonna start somewhere?

Glad you see you have started the obsession kootaga. For your first hang I would recommend that you set aside about a good amount of time not even all in one sitting just don’t rush it. Get yourself a 4 in hand or a half round light rasp and go to town. If you have a spoke shave or have access to one, set it super shallow. After you get a few under your belt a drawknife makes quick work for a fitting but start slow and take your time. Fit the head take it off look at your lines and take a little more off. Rinse and repeat until you are solid on the shoulder of the handle. My first axe gaffing took about 20 minutes and I though I did good and the handle lasted a while but the more time you put in the better fit you will get. Sorry for the lengthy post but I didn’t have someone tell me any tips when I started so take my post for what you will. I am excited to see what you come up with!

Handle shape is usually curved for single bits (one blade not two) and handle length tends to be governed by weight of the head. Eye size often restricts your handle choices; shorter handles often only fit in lighter heads. Weigh the head before you start shopping around for wood. You ought to be able to track some some youtube videos on hanging especially 'an axe to grind' series from US Forest Service.
By the way, you're dating yourself when you call a West German-made head 'old'. 1947-1991 wasn't terribly long ago for some us.

Thank you gentlemen, and regarding the age of the axe head, I myself have been around since the mid 50's.
I didn't post up without doing any homework. I have watched, An Axe to Grind . Loved it, but I lack some of his tools such as a large wooden mallet and his bench vice.
I guess I have other clamps and ways of achieving the same goal of holding the heft (?) in place while working it. None as slick as his.
This should be fun.

Yes you can clamp it straight to your bench and let it hang off if you have to. When I first started I went to harbor freight and used a coupon and bought a “woodworking vise” for $6 I think it was. So that is an option also. I have since upgraded but I still have that vise and still use it. It’s about 10 years old and it IS a $6 vice but it is secured well and it does what I need it to on my small bench. You can buy a four in hand Mexico made Nicholson from Lowe’s for about $10. Then you are ready to go. I like the hardware store brand four in ones myself. Seem sharper. But not everyone has those. Also you have already ordered the handle right?

Thanks for the advice on the vice Brian. Of course I can just hear the wife now, honey, don't you have enough vices?
I have a couple of 4 in 1's as I was a carpenter for about 20 years. I've just never fiddled with rehanging axes or hatchets.
Yes, the had should arrive at KC Tool real soon and then ship to me. It is hickory. 700mm as I recall.

Nice! Well I’m sure you will have no trouble with this handle at all! I will say I know exactly what you mean about the wife business haha. She can comprehend that she needs to get her nails done once a week because they grow out (from what I hear), but she can’t understand that there are several different vices for different applications. And I need them all of course. I have traveled that road one too many times my friend haha.

Just because I was a carpenter, doesn't mean I can be proficient at hanging axes.
I'm just as sure as I can be that there is an art to it. Maybe one of these days I'll have it.

Straight/level/square/plumb as applied to boat building will get you through this, no problem.

By the way I have an older (50s?) Austrian-made Iltis which is marked 'Chrom Vanadium' and I have commercially used a late 80s/early 90s W. German Iltis ever since I bought it new. The quality of these is great. You will enjoy yours.

Not at this time. I have a camera I use to take pics with and I take them outside. I have to work this weekend. I'll get them up ASAP.

I have never met a carpenter who thought he had enough clamps. So many styles. So many uses. When you have 50 you'll find a project that requires 60.
That scenario happened to me! I too have accumulated many dozens of clamps over the years and yet when I had to bend and secure 18 foot long strips of Ash along the curved gunwales of a canoe repair, in advance of drilling and fastening, I wound up having to ration them.

Well, shoot, Kootaga, you are just a younger fella...you have plenty of yrs to get this ax-head stuff nailed down. Maybe a new career is in order... Enjoy your new project, sir...
BTW, I'm so old, I still like to spell it "axe."

Back