I'm glad that I collect knives...

Gollnick

Musical Director
And not baseball cards.

John Rogers of North Little Rock, Arkansas bought a 1909 Honus Wagner baseball card for $1.62 million at a sports memorabilia aution in Chicago, a sports auction company said Saturday.

The record price for a baseball card is $2.8 million -- paid in 2007 for a near-mint Wagner card released in 1909 by the American Tobacco Company.

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,396585,00.html

$1,620,000 for a bit of paper!?! Wow.

There are knives and swords that get into seven figures, rarely, yes. But, there you will find extraordinary craftsmanship, world-class artistic merit, and precious materials. On a baseball card printed in 1909? No. It's a scrap of decaying paper. It's not even one-of-a-kind since this card was in print for three years.

Sometimes, people wonder about paying thousands and tens-of-thousands for knives, but it makes much more sense than paying millions for chits of paper.

It all comes down to relative numbers....

There are those who can afford to spend $2 and 80 cents without thinking twice,
and then there are those who can spend $2,800,000 when somebody lifts a finger
for them in some auction....

................ :)

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

I'm glad that I collect knives as well, but it has nothing to do with what other people are paying for the things they collect.

Hopefully the person that spent $2.8 million on that baseball card gets as much enjoyment from it as I do from the knives I collect.

I chewed a lot of bubblegum as a lad in the late 1940s-early 50s, enough to fill a shoebox full of baseball cards. They were only menial summertime diversions for me until the pubic hair started growing and the testosterone flowing at which time time they were tossed into the trash so unceremoniously that I can't even recall it. Wish I had them back, though, so I could trade them in for the kind $$$ that might net me Buster's King Tut or at least a 90-day African safari.

ken

It all comes down to relative numbers....

There are those who can afford to spend $2 and 80 cents without thinking twice,
and then there are those who can spend $2,800,000 when somebody lifts a finger
for them in some auction....

................ :)

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

You are right David, considering the incomes we see today when something gives enjoyment what it cost is of little concern to some.

I expect that buying a baseball card worth that much money has more to do with status than enjoyment.:jerkit:
But who am I to say?:)

I'm sure there are people on other forums saying- I'm glad I collect X and not knives. So it's all relative.

Especially when a lot of the knives are not used for anything other than admiring.

As long as you are passionate about your chosen hobby it doesn't really matter what others think.

Now people who don’t have any hobbies that they are passionate about is another story.

Mitch

"You.. are Correct, Sir!"

-Ed McMahon,
The Tonight Show w/ Johnny Carson

Keep in mind, on the other end of the deal was a collector who made $1.62 Million. :)

I bought some baseball cards when I was a kid. And although I'm no collector and have no interest in professional sports or sports memorabilia, I've kept them all these years. Pretty sure they're worth 5c each. :D

Mike

I'm pretty sure you used excessive heat, the cardinal sin for tempering organic cardboard. I differentially hardened my cards by delicately charcoaling the edge with a match. They could be bent 360 degrees without cracking. The black hamon was unaesthetic, but a grinning Mickey Mantle on the handle more than compensated.

ken

They should make Knifemaker cards. I would love to have a mint Mayo rookie year card or maybe a Tony and Reese Bose matching card set :D

Steve Shackleford is looking for stories about what got you started collecting knives on the Blade Mag forum. for a story he is doing. I am sure he would love to hear from all of you!

Back